Thread: Older stats issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I just fielded a question or two about the apparent 'double' scores on 30-07-2010.

To help answer the same question for anyone else, the dates on the "Last 28 Days" table are calculated labels on the table in the web page (eg today, today -1, -2 etc).

Because the non-BOINC process froze and did not fail, the nightly rollover was prevented from shifting the data across in the daily data table, which in theory should have created a column full of zeros because the refresh did not happen on 29th.

Consequently the table appears to be out by a day prior to 30-7-2010.
    The date label saying 29-7-2010 contains the volumes from 28-7-2010.
    The date label saying 30-7-2010 contains the volumes from 29-7-2010 and 30-7-2010.

The volumes are correct.
    No data is missing.
    No data has been duplicated.
    The 'apparent' anomaly is self correcting and will shift itself out of the "Last 28 Days" table day by day.
    This does not affect the weekly or monthly stats.

Trust us. It is Auto-magic
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

Some people are reporting particular milestones on Whatpulse not being announced, like 10 million keystrokes. How are the milestones flagged up these days? Is it still a hard-coded list of thresholds?

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    I do believe it is still hard coded so should be working fine it all depends on what data we get from what pulse itself.. you got any particular user(s) in mind so we can look at this closer.

Thanks
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    No, it's dynamic, based on entries in a table which can be tailored per project if needed. I'd need to know a particular example as Gopher mentioned in order to check it out.

Crude milestone page shows some 10M and the last log certainly showed that it tested for 10M

Bok

Sellyme says his 10 mil didn't show. Indeed, it isn't listed in the recent milestones.
    VG says his 2.5 mil didn't show. Also not listed in recent milestones.

Blog Entries
    I see, actually they've found a bug! And it's been like that forever, perhaps it's just that the exact rounded type numbers from whatpulse have made it more pronounced.

In VG's case on August 1st he dropped 150,000 points to reach EXACTLY 2,500,000 then on the 3rd he dropped another 50,000 to be a 2,550,000

However my sql was checking for new value > 2,500,000 and old value < 2,500,000 which did not match under either condition. It should actually be

new value >= milestone and old value < milestone

WOW, that code has been in place for about 8 years now.. fixed and I manually added those two milestones.

Nice bug!

Thanks for addressing this so quickly.

Somewhere in the vast depths of Adelaide, South Australia.
    Yay! I feel useful

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar

SoB Sieve

Hmm appears this needs a major kick again... I'll look at it when I get a chance.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

I have another query regarding the Whatpulse stats. According to our team page, we lost over 4 million keystrokes on 17th August. At a glance, I can't see this as a result of someone leaving the team, and I can't find another team with a stat reduction for that day. Any clue what happened here?

edit: Additionally, it looks like there might be something wrong with user ranking. The project stats page shows that the current top two users overall ([db]Deluxy, qwertycomputer) each have less keystrokes than the guy in third place (Orznorz). Also, clicking on each of the names of these users shows that they all have "project rank" of 1.

Blog Entries
    Not sure what happened on the 17th. The tracking of user movement is not perfect for some of the non boinc projects though.

User ranking is a simple one though. I don't 'hard' delete users which are gone (often name changes), I simply mark them for deletion. They are not used as part of the project ranking at all and in some places I don't actually show them, but by no means all places. I've deleted them now, so next time it runs they won't be visible.

Thanks Bok. The project rankings look in order for the top 5 now, and their scores look sensible. I might contact the Whatpulse guys about the 4+ million drop on 17th because that's around a tenth of our entire team total! Hopefully they can shed some light on what happened.

Hey, Bok. Quantum Fire Alpha seems to be stalled. The project site shows me over 1 million, while our stats aren't updating. TIA!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.