Thread: Wish list for next SoB version

Wish list for next SoB version

Hello All,

First, I just want to thank Free-DC for providing a forum for SoB.

Onto the list:

1. Ablility to create teams with respect to the stats.
    2. On the teams, to avoid jumping issues, have the units completed while belonging to a team stay with that team.
    3. Tried to run SoB on a dual athlon system, with two install directories, but I'm not sure if this is working. I just have one client running at this time.

Not sure if this is the place for the above.

Thanks,

prok.

yeah, i want to do the team stats that way when teams are ready.

as for the dual machine, it won't work with two copies of v.96. but you can use a v.96 and a v.92 client together.

i'm working on it:

-Louie

Great! I'll try the two version method then. Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

prok.

there are no links to .92 on the site. it's still here though:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~lhelm/sbust092.exe

-Louie

prokaryote:

Welcome! Thanks for blasting me out of 2nd place on the dailies
    Colin Thompson

Originally posted by ColinT
    prokaryote:

Welcome! Thanks for blasting me out of 2nd place on the dailies
    Don't mention it! I'm sure you could reclaim if you threw some of your resources at it.

Have advertised the project on our team's mathematical projects homepage (Team Picard). I think it'll pick up steam once the team aspect comes into play.

jjjjL,

Will the Contribution for an unaffiliated cruncher transfer to a team the first time that an individual signs onto a team? Maybe have it so that any contributions accumulated while a cruncher is unaffiliated go to the next team that they sign up to. This would mean that there should be a team option of "none" incase a cruncher decides to go unaffiliated for a bit. Just some thoughts.

Also, since the search space is bounded, is there a worst case predicted finish time given the current search rate?

Thanks,

prok.

Yes, I think previously done work should be credited when joining a team the first time.

Hummm. Team Picard. I remember you guys. I think there is some ridicully person there Maybe he come come by here again and say hi.
    Colin Thompson

yeah, i've posted before that i will setup the teams and the credits the way you describe.

-L

Does SoB support Dial-Up connection?

Will it auto dial when a work unit is finished to send and recieve?

EDillio - network calls in the windows version are done using the winsock API so if your config auto-dials the internet "on-demand" then yes, SB would wait for a connection to be established, then try and transmit.

this behavior is similar to past and current versions alike.

in future versions, i expect to add a provision to retrieve more than one wu at a time for computers that are less frequently connected. i may even allow a provision for "sneaker netting" numbers, but i haven't decided the best way to accomplish this with my current framework. a more likely feature in the near-term is a "random" automatically generated block so that computers than can't connect can keep working.

-L

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Do you plan to have a GUI client for non-windows machines? I think it'd be cool to have one for Linux/BSD etc...

I don't know GTK, QT, or any other windowing stuff for linux. I am also way too busy with skool-work to learn for the next few months.

I'd accept help if anyone is interested.

Alternatively, someone could ask my partner Dave (danorris@uiuc.edu) if he's interested. He was going to make a GUI *nix client but he hasn't made time for the project in the last 4 months. Maybe if users asked him directly it would interest him in the project again.

I don't want to marginalize Dave's role in the project. Without him, the project wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

The early version of SB is like a plane with no wings (v0.9.0).
    The current version is more like a plane with wings glued on in flight. Dave built the plane-- I make it fly.

-L

Does the client really need to refresh all its information EVERY second? It seems a little OTT to me. I don't know what to suggest if you keep it as a constant, perhaps you could make it configurable?

Blog Entries

Any more wishes?

For next client.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

I know this is obviousl what I'd like and whether or not its gonna hapen i doubt but it'd be nice to be able to cut stop a work unit and send progress so far back to the server. Perhaps it could expire test at the same time too to prevent people from abusing the ability.

waiting on duallies & ht capable

oh and sse

Blog Entries

Re: Any more wishes?

Originally posted by Death
    For next client.
    And Macintosh version.

Toobad.
    There's a little difference between sysadmin and programmer... =(
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Linux GUI

Originally posted by Darkness Productions
    Do you plan to have a GUI client for non-windows machines? I think it'd be cool to have one for Linux/BSD etc...
    In another thread concerning the linux client, member Lagardo posted the following:

"The link was posted at the Ars forums a while ago:
    http://www.its.caltech.edu/~sgeier/code/sbwrap.html"

SBWRAP is a GUI interface to sb using TCL/TK. I've been using it for its original purpose, to keep the sb client running unsupervised on my dual Athlon system. But it does have a GUI interface showing the progress and estimated performance.

How about an option to d osecret tests while staying under your own name. Or as will soon be more relevant double check tests under your own name so you can recieve credit for it.

I have one word for you guys: QUEUEING!

Running SoB on offline or dialup systems is virtually impossible now. There is a great potential market there for SoB!
    Proud member of the Dutch Power Cows