Thread: 45th Mersenne Prime Found? (Pending Verification)

45th Mersenne Prime Found? (Pending Verification)

Been pretty quiet around here lately, but I figure this is worth breaking the silence for.

http://mersenne.org/prime.htm

If all goes well, it is likely that it will win the EFF $100,000 prize as well!

Are the double-checkers updating their progress? I don't care much for Mersenne Forum, but I come to Free-DC Forum like an addict looking for a seller. If there's an update to be had at Mersenne Forum, please post the news here.

One person is 80% done, I'm now 70%. We will be finished this week.

The other big news is that a second prime was found yesterday so there are now 2 being verified!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Parasite View Post
    One person is 80% done, I'm now 70%. We will be finished this week.

The other big news is that a second prime was found yesterday so there are now 2 being verified!
    2 at once? Someone's going to be a bit unhappy if they're both over 10M digits. They will have missed their chance by about a week.

Confirmed

http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

"45th and 46th Known Mersenne Primes Found!!!! "

Quote Originally Posted by tqft View Post
    http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

"45th and 46th Known Mersenne Primes Found!!!! "
    They've been confirmed for a while now.

The question is whether or not either of them is over 10 million digits. (Can you imagine how horrible it would feel for the person who came in second if both people got primes with over 10 million digits. The ultimate in sour grapes)

They're both confirmed now and both over 10 million digits. The second one found was actually smaller than the first. But yes, that person did miss out on the EFF award.

They released the details this morning over at http://www.mersenne.org.

Hopefully it will be our turn next.

They didn't just barely win the EFF prize. The first one leapfrogged all the way to 12,978,189 digits. That is a HUGE number. Even the smaller one was 11,185,272 digits. Both numbers were much larger than 10,000,000 digits. Absolutely amazing.
    "Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS, OS/2 and Windows games at RGB Classic Games

What would have been the "pre-discovery" percentage or likelyhood that these first prime numbers over 10 million digits would be THIS much over 10 million digits?

Well, the difference between M38 to M39 is 2 million digits, and M39 to M40 is 2.3 million digits, and so that large of a jump is not unprecedented, and jumps from M37+ seem to average around 1 million digits a piece.

With the largest prime under 10 million digits right at 9.8 million digits, I think it would be more remarkable if they weren't that much over.

Of course, only time will tell if there are any missing primes below M46. If I had money on the line, I would bet that there is at least one somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwb52z View Post
    What would have been the "pre-discovery" percentage or likelyhood that these first prime numbers over 10 million digits would be THIS much over 10 million digits?

Assuming the increase was consistent, and using the number 40 million as a goal(not exact, but close enough in my opinion), and lastly assuming that the starting number is 2:

The average increase of each number was about 45%, so M45 is about dead on.
    Last edited by jasong; 09-20-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: got confused and said the wrong thing(twice)