Thread: Admins - what's up?

Admins - what's up?

Since 6-Sept the project turnover has almost flat-lined in spite of the available member resources.
    (That seems to coincide with some nasty weather events in the state. Hope you are all ok)

We did read this:
    # Sept. 16, 2008Our recent paper is published. Thanks for everyone for their help with this research.

# Aug 5,2008: We have been using EON to test some improvements to our algorithm. This is working very well now, and the results are being published in a new paper to appear in the Journal of Chemical Physics. Here is a preprint. Thanks for everyone for their help with this research.
    Congratulations on the paper.
    I noted reference 43 on page 9.

I would like to know if there is more chem-work coming, if the project is still funded, or is it now in end-stage?

Admins - what's up?
    Last edited by AMDave; 09-18-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

Fortunately, we are pretty safe from storms in Austin being so far inland. Ike didn't even bring rain here.

Our server, on the other hand, is less fortunate. It was in good hands with my postdoc, Lijun, and I think this new paper is a big step forward in the simulation methodology.

A new student, Rye, is taking over. We've purchased a new server to help cut down on the memory and communication problems. But I think we're settled on switching to boinc to solve our ongoing server issues. In that system, the issuing of work units is separated from any other calculations on the server, so that it is always responsive to client requests.

Our first new project will be to look at dynamics in high-temperature Ni alloys. These will be more expensive calculations, so we'll have to rescale the statistics.

In the long-term, we'll be switching the entire system to quantum calculations. There are still some fundamental issues to work out, but this will allow for modeling reaction dynamics at surfaces. This has great potential for designing new catalysts, particularly for energy conversion applications such as in fuel cell.

That's fantastic news, thanks for the update graeme! Looking forward to future developments, whatever they may be.

Thank you very much for your kind reply, Graeme.

It is good to know that the project team fared well and that the project is looking to the future.

Please pass on our thanks to Lijun for the hard work and our welcome to Rye.

Rye may face a challenge in the raising of the eOn@Home BOINC platform and the integration of eOn into the framework, but should take heart in the knowledge that there are now many with BOINC server experience who are able to and willing to help.

Best of luck, Rye!
    Don't be afraid to lean on us.

I do like the sound of the "more expensive" work units. That should indeed cut down the I/O per computer and will help suit the almost-batch-like BOINC IO interface.

It will be interesting to see how the project handles the insurgence of thousands of avid BOINC addicts (it is like being slash-dotted!). There is no shortage of keen testers with weird and wonderful platforms who will find and challenge the eOn@Home url as soon as it lands on the DNS servers.

I am very pleased that you mention the long-term refinement in the focus of the science. It follows on from some posts you made in that regard a couple of years ago, so it reasserts your long-term view in your line of study.

So it seems that you have some hard work and challenging days ahead.
    That is excellent!

My best to the eOn project team for 08-09.

AMDave
    www.amdusers.com
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

We're all ready for Phase II.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

CO2 Emissions Algae Scientist Nflight's Avatar
    Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thats great News... All of us will be waiting !

Thanks for the updated information, the Boncies are waiting for you
    yoyo

Blog Entries
    Will the new BOINC interface suck bandwidth like it does now?

And can you throw out more WU's to help feed the hungry crowd

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Hmm not one I do but Good Luck to Rye and if there is a DC member who can help they will...
    I would "beta" test the new boinc with a VERY select few people else the poor server will fall over dramtically - seen it happen with servers before - main server could handle it the login / authentication couldn't and the whole thing went tits up for a good while...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

If they need help on Boinc server side I will help. If they just have the batch application, I can integrate it into boinc with the wrapper.
    yoyo

Blog Entries
    went tits up for a good while...
    Thats what I want to see
    We need MORE POWER

So, that's a great timing. I was on my honeymoon and there was news form the eon-front.

Great to hear that some progress will be made in the (nearby?) future. Pity though that the client is moving to the Boinc-platform, I actually like those "old school" DC-programms but a much, much bigger crowd will probably participate in the project.

Succes! And will the new server be serving us some new WU's for the CLI-version?
    Member of The Dutch Power Cows
    Member of subteam Los Alcoholicos

Blog Entries
    Well I burned out Another DLS router yesterday thats 3 so far for this project Thats why my numbers were down yesterday

Okay, that's the reason for the low number, I already wondered what could have happened over there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaverius View Post
    Okay, that's the reason for the low number, I already wondered what could have happened over there.
    Ya my loss was everybody's Gain

Blog Entries
    Well I hope this will solve and incress my output
    I just got a Linksys Business series Gigabit Router
    MN RVS4000
    you can read more about it here
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...laypage=nodata
    It has more controls then I have a understanding for them

Something like a cockpit in an aeroplane?