Thread: Sucky client

Sucky client

I did some SoB a while back (quite a while actually), but I thought I'd give it another try.
    So I install the client, and it turns out it is only using one core for computation, and there is no option for making it use another one!
    Oh well, I suppose you can't expect too much, so I make a second install in another directory. However, the install fails since it detects a conflicting installation, and when I restart the first client all the work that had been done was gone.
    So I read up on your FAQ, and there are two links there to outside information. One is a dead link, and the other is ages old and contains no information whatsoever on the subject of multiple cores. There is also no information in the readme file or in the Wiki.
    Searching the forum finally reveals the answer: you need to run it as a service!
    [sarcasm]Right... well, that's not completely useless, now is it?[/sarcasm]
    Why the heck is the client fiddling around with my windows registry in the first place? What possible information might it need in there that cannot simply be put in the install directory? How hard can it be to make a client that can start multiple instances or that can be run simultaneously from several directories? You obviously managed to do it with the service, and it seem to work with the Linux version.

I have three new workunits allocated to my account. You can remove them and hand them out to someone else.
    I'm out of here.

You have to use the service installer if you want to run it on more than one core.
    There are many threads on how to do this.
    One of them is located here: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8086
    We have asked many times to let SOB work without the registry under windows for years and it still has not changed.
    I don't run it myself any longer for that very reason.
    This project has released new Betas for many OSs but it still uses a registry key in Windows when it's not necessary.
    Hope it helps.