Thread: Get this now! Faster Java!

Get this now! Faster Java!

There is a faster Java now. MUCH faster. Xyzzy wrote up a page on how to do it. It's not difficult at all. SPEED!

Check this: http://home.nc.rr.com/mvang/ubero.html

That page explains how to instal the SDK and gives you lines to add to your Autoexec and new lines for your ajent.bat.

This is only for console operation - as near as I can tell.

If you have trouble, meet us in the channel.

It screams! Get it now. Don't delay.
    Colin Thompson

Thanks Xyzzy !

Very nice!!!

Since Francois joined us, we are way ahead of Ars. And now we are pulling even in production rates.

It is important that you switch to the new SKD. This wil let us outproduce them daily.

The procedure is simple, and if you need help, just ask.
    Colin Thompson

It appears that there are now two different JRE's that you can use in place of the Sun 1.3 JRE linked on the Ubero download page. The first is the Sun 1.4 BETA that has already been listed.

Second is the IBM JRE that was first mentioned by Jomor over at Ars Technica. I'm currently running the IBM JRE on my Windows systems and the Sun 1.4 JRE on my Linux/Unix systems.

How much faster is it? That's hard to quantify right now since I've only had it running a couple of hours. It is, according to reports, as much as 150% faster in some cases!

Supposedly, the IBM JRE is faster even than the Sun 1.4 JRE using the -server switch. It will also allow you to install the client, which the Sun 1.4 JRE evidently has problems with.

To use the Sun 1.4 JRE, you need to install Ubero with the earlier (1.3) version. Then, remove the 1.3 JRE and replace it with the 1.4 JRE and restart the client.

The IBM JRE will (supposedly) work just fine as a replacement for the Sun 1.3 JRE from the get-go.

I haven't tried either with respect to installing the client since all of my systems are already deployed. I just stopped the client, replaced the JRE with the new one, and then restarted the client. No problems.

These are the steps I used:

1) Stop the client.

2) Uninstall the Sun 1.3 JRE.

3) Download the following two files:

IBM's Java Runtime Environment (ibm-cpt-in20.exe)
    IBM's Java Runtime Environment (ibm-cpt-rn20.exe)

4) Put both files in a temporary directory together.

5) Execute "ibm-cpt-in20.exe". This will create some new files in the same directory.

6) Execute "install.exe" (it was created in the previous step).

7) Allow the installer to run (you don't have to let it replace the system VM if you don't want to).

8) Download the following file and place it in your Ubero directory:

Ubero Client Launcher (Console Mode)

9) Execute the start.bat file.

This should see you up and running on the IBM JRE. So far, it appears to be making a tremendous difference on my systems. I've already surpassed 2000 WUs for the day and I've still got 3 1/2 hours to go...

We are FINALLY out producing TCP. keep it up!!!!!
    Colin Thompson

I will break 3000/day today easily.

It's not even halfway through the day and I'm already over 1600.

OK, Sun is out, IBM is in. Change them all over You will like the speed Really.

Let's crush TCP!
    Colin Thompson

Well needless to say congrats Dyy you're going to own the top producer page for quite some time To be honest using the Sun java I only saw about 5-10 more wu's.... so I'll make the change again and see thanks for the tips though it is very helpful...

Even if I am producing for another team the wu's follow me (I love that!)

On my Abit BM6 with a 600MHZ cB0 Celeron II overclocked to 750MHZ I get identical times with either method... I get about 180 units per day...

I prefer the Sun method mainly because there is more documentation...

Others have told me that the Sun method is guaranteed to give a good performance boost while the IBM version either does really well or just okay...

The web page was updated yesterday to reflect both methods...

I have found another tweak, but it is only 2-3%... Nothing like 50% or more with the current tweak... It involves adjusting the quanta, or timeslice... Look here for more info... Right now I am running a 120MS quanta and it is a bit faster than the default 20MS quanta... Interactive performance doesn't seem to suffer, either...

I've also applied other registry tweaks to speed up my system, like:

SecondLevelDataCache
    DisablePagingExecutive
    IoPageLockLimit
    LargeSystemCache

These can be found under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

All together these registry tweaks are good for maybe 1.5-2%... They affect I/O operations mostly...
    Last edited by Xyzzy; 01-17-2002 at 01:05 PM.

Xyzzy before i was using the sun java and with my 1.4 t-bird on my ECS K7S5A I didn't even break 300 wu's.... now i broke 400...

documentation or not I think it's good....

I was goign to migrate over a redhat 7.2 box (just a little amd 350) over to a new project and thought I would give ubero a try. then I saw all this about new JRE's

So anyone have a link or willing to post on the best way to get ubero running from scratch? i see these posts about not allowing installes with the alternate JRE's and just wondering if someone would give me a pointer or two.

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Hey, can somebody post the installs for Linux? I can't get the IBM JRE for Linux, so if anyone can get them and post them here, it'd be greatly appreciated!

I've got the IBM JRE for Linux, but it doesn't play nice with Ubero. On my Linux systems, I'm running the Sun 1.4 Beta3 JRE with the -server switch.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't even download the stupid thing, since it kept saying something about Error 61... Can you install Ubero with 1.4, or do I have to go through the 1.3 rigamarole?

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    I've got the IBM JRE for Linux, but it doesn't play nice with Ubero. On my Linux systems, I'm running the Sun 1.4 Beta3 JRE with the -server switch.

Originally posted by DocWardo
    I was goign to migrate over a redhat 7.2 box (just a little amd 350) over to a new project and thought I would give ubero a try. then I saw all this about new JRE's

So anyone have a link or willing to post on the best way to get ubero running from scratch? i see these posts about not allowing installes with the alternate JRE's and just wondering if someone would give me a pointer or two.
    Doc : On windows at least you can install from scratch with the "official" Ubero JRE (SUN 1.3) and IBM's 1.3.
    You cannot install it with SUN 1.4 beta3. I believe the same apply to Linux.

Thanks, I got ubero installed, I started with 1.3 installed ubero then removed 1.3 and installed sun 1.4 and set it up to run in text mode with the -server option and used nice to keep it low priority so it wont' interfere too much with the other things these boxes do. I installed it on my two linux boxes. might only be 350 Mhz and 150 Mhz but every little bit helps right? and that 150 Mhz box does nothing but route my traffic to my cable modem so might as well crank on some numbers in it's spare time. Ubero seems to be one of the fre projects that the slower computers can still "appear" to be doing some good (ie doesn't take 4 days to complete a WU like with GAH or FAH.

all i can say is

WOW... my production has almost doubled and I love that last night I did about 100 WUs whereas before it took a whole day to get 100 WUs.. I think i'll break 300 today

wedge,

Is that the same box you talked about in the hardware forum? If not, please go there and answer my questions
    Colin Thompson

New Sun SDK...

I plan to benchmark it starting 3AM EST tonight (Midnight Ubero Time)...

colinT.. sorry man.. i posted in the HW forum..

Benchmarks:

IBM 1.3.0 VM with jitc = 179 units in 24 hours...
    Sun 1.4.0-rc VM with jitc = 192 units in 24 hours...

That is around a 7-8% improvement...

Ok, here's my question. I want to run ubero on my Linux box. I don't have X installed yet, and I would want to run it from the CMDLine even if I did have X. Is there a way to do this, since everytime I try to start ubero from the CMDLine, it fails because it's looking for an X window....

Getting Java to install via the command line was pretty easy, but I haven't figured out how to install Ubero that way yet...

I wonder if you can copy the Ubero folder over frm an existing Linux installation?

I hope that the next Ubero release doesn't depend on the graphical installer...

In my experience, with RH6.2, Linux was significantly slower than the Windows version... Maybe this is because 6.2 is kinda old, but I don't know for sure...

It was very stable and unobtrusive, though...

If you do find a way to get it installed, or maybe if you do install X, getting Ubero to run from the command line is very easy...

Just cd to the Ubero directory and run:

java -showversion -cp Agent.jar ubero.agent.Agent -text

You must have the Java executable in your path or you need to explicitly define it at run time...

My Newest question.....

Is java on Linux really that bad???? If you check my pages at Ubero (http://www.ubero.com/memberstats.asp...essProductions) you will notice Gigabyte 6BXD #1 and 2 at the bottom. Both of these procs are p3 850's. Now, I have no problem with that whatsoever. My problem lies in Katmai1, BLACK-DRAGON and Multimedia. All 3 of these are Katmai procs from 500 to 533... Something about java here is not right. Somebody fill me in, cuz this is ridiculous....

DP: I don't understand your problem. The slower Katmai procs seem to be doing great.

I have noticed that my PII 266 with 512K cache does more then half as much my Celeron 533.

guru

Oh, believe me, I have no problems with the Katmai's performance. It's my Dual CuMine (Linux) that's bothering the hell out of me. Is the Linux IBM JRE really that damned slow? If so, it's almost not worth it to run Ubero on there.... Somebody fill me in... Remember, I still have no X support, so that kinda shoots graphics out the winder

I am not running IBM JRE on linux boxes. I am using the Sun JRE 1.4 but I havn't compared the two on linux.