Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To be No 1 ?!?

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Originally posted by KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
    It seems that Auritania jumped ships again! I wish he would quit messing with the stats! It is really starting to piss off some people.
    That's the rules, if you don't like them, you are free to leave
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Senior Member KWSN_Millennium2001Guy's Avatar
    You know, with Auritania visiting over at OverClockers, Free-DC would still be in first place even without my shrubs!

Ni!

Wink

Originally posted by pointwood
    Everyone likes to be first don't they?

You seem to like that too

I personally don't care that much, I just hope we are helping science

UPDATE: In relation to this, I would like to ask KWSN how it feels to be number four
    It sure is better than being second

Anyways, we are also 22nd, 327th and 402nd, so we jus plain don't care

Ni!

Originally posted by KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
    You know, with Auritania visiting over at OverClockers, Free-DC would still be in first place even without my shrubs!

Ni!
    Yearh, but not if KWSN SpongeBob SquarePants also left

Gunslinger: So, you prefer PINK to RED? That's interesting

EDIT: Do all Knights prefer that color? If that's the case, I think Dyyryath could easily make some changes to your stats
    Pointwood

Heh, I've actually been thinking about making our visiting knights ROYAL PURPLE in return for their timely aid.

Since we're so vastly outnumbered (44 active crunchers to 157 active crunchers) by those unwashed hordes over at TSF , I'll be the first one to admit that I don't mind seeing the Knightly Cavalry come pounding in every time we start to get overrun.

I'm sure TSF will get us eventually, just by virtue of their legions of crunchers, but the longer it takes, the better!

I will second the ROYAL PURPLE , and Dyy's reason behind it.

Sounds good to me

P.S. - Sorry my production is down..I'm moving..be back full soon.
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Some people at Ars, like some people everywhere, are obsessed with being #1.

Most of us just care about our teams and want them to do well. We chug along on our pet projects and as people get tired of other projects that Ars has teams in, they try out new projects and perhaps join us. Or they trickle in from the main Ars site. Or they see our various #1 teams and join us for that reason.

Regardless, most of us are just annoyed, I think.

Logically, I know that this is actually better for TSF than if it hadn't happened and that it will be very good motivation.

But, heck if I am not getting tired of someone starting a "congratulations" thread and then having us lose #1 within a day.

I feel like the boy who cried wolf.

New goal for TSF - outproduce Free-DC and KWSN! combined production (I don't imagine this will happen any time soon, but one can dream and it WOULD serve to nullify any future antics on the part of the Knights).
    =)

No worries, mad-ness. As I said before, you guys will almost certainly overwhelm us sometime soon. You just have too many members for us to keep you at bay any longer.

The knights are entertaining themselves (and me ), but we can't expect them to hang around helping us forever (though it sure would be nice ). You'll get your number one spot sooner or later....I just hope it's later.

When that day does come, you can believe that I'll be posting in your final "Congratulations on #1" thread myself to commend you guys on a job well done.

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    No worries, mad-ness. As I said before, you guys will almost certainly overwhelm us sometime soon. You just have too many members for us to keep you at bay any longer.

The knights are entertaining themselves (and me ), but we can't expect them to hang around helping us forever (though it sure would be nice ). You'll get your number one spot sooner or later....I just hope it's later.

When that day does come, you can believe that I'll be posting in your final "Congratulations on #1" thread myself to commend you guys on a job well done.
    Dyyryath, it was one thing when you just happened to benefit from teamswitchers, it is quite another to actively solicit them. While it may not be against the official rules of the project, one of the rules of honorable competition among DC teams has always been that you NEVER actively solicit members of other teams to switch to your own on their forums.

As far as I am concerned, you broke that rule with this post. While Free-DC may be technically the #1 team at the moment, I view Team Stir Fry as number one amoung honerable teams. I urge you to retract your solicitation to switch teams and remove this blemish upon Free-DC's reputation, one that previously was untarnished.
    A member of TSF http://teamstirfry.net/

Talking

Originally posted by Aegion

Dyyryath, it was one thing when you just happened to benefit from teamswitchers, it is quite another to actively solicit them. While it may not be against the official rules of the project, one of the rules of honorable competition among DC teams has always been that you NEVER actively solicit members of other teams to switch to your own on their forums.

As far as I am concerned, you broke that rule with this post. While Free-DC may be technically the #1 team at the moment, I view Team Stir Fry as number one amoung honerable teams. I urge you to retract your solicitation to switch teams and remove this blemish upon Free-DC's reputation, one that previously was untarnished.

1) Many of us were jumping around before that post.
    2) Dyyryath invited us to visit - if we had viewed his post as an attempt to make us switch teams permanently it would have been moderated very swiftly.
    3) We would have to be complete LOONEYS to switch teams for purple names and a galloping charger! Oh! Ooops....

Ni!

As far as I am concerned, urging a team to switch temperarily to screw up the rankings is at least as bad as soliciting them to switch permenently. I recognize the Knights may view such a solicitation as ok, but I don't think that excuses other teams from making it. People on Free-DC's team complained when we suddenly got the #1 position due to a teamswitcher from the Knights, imagine how angry they would have been if we had actively solicited for team switchers on the Knight's forum instead of the individual doing so on his own...

Oh pooh-pooh, Aegion.

I complained when I thought that the JFK and Howell Labs was a DF project controlled account doing some team switching. After Howard explained the situation, I shut up about it.

The Knights seem to go where they please, and if someone wants to entice them with flashy stats features, then so be it.

TSF is always ready to say that anyone can go where they want in this project -

- and remember, we're all in it for the science.

Angus

Maybe Dyyryath can explain his reasoning here, for his conduct after making this comment in a previous thread.
    I couldn't stand for cheating, or the questionable practice of people blatantly attempting to recruit from other teams, but other than that, I'm pretty easy going about things.
    Maybe Dyyryath feels that only recruiting individuals temperarily is ok, because otherwise it seems that he can't stand his own behavoir.

Easy, Aegion, I think you're getting a little over zealous here.

KWSN's antics (team jumping, in this case ) have NEVER been solicited by any member of Free-DC, myself included. Their coming to Free-DC (temporarily, I might add) was done entirely of their own volition without any kind of a request by me or anyone else here.

You seem to have taken my stats addition the wrong way, entirely. It was not done to 'entice' KWSN heavy hitters to join Free-DC as they'd already done so. Rather, it was simply my way of saying "thanks" and acknowledging some friendly support.

In fact, all it really does is make it more obvious that these individuals are Knights and not permanent members of Free-DC. If I'd truly wanted to solicit members from their team, I'd not have required a KWSN in their names.

Relax, Aegion, TSF's gonna wind up on top. I've said it repeatedly, already. You guys have worked hard, you've earned it, and you just have too many members for us to really do anything about it.

Don't let a little goofing off on our part and some friendly help from KWSN get you down. If it does, you *might* be taking this a bit too seriously.

Maybe Dyyryath feels that only recruiting individuals temperarily is ok, because otherwise it seems that he can't stand his own behavoir.
    I don't often post to these forums, but this line did it...

I, for one, not only consider Dyrryath a teammate, but also a friend and reading the line above bothers me...

I think Dyy's probably one of the bigest overall advocates for distriubted computing that I'm aware of.... His creation and maint. of statistics pages (for many teams and projects) shows that he's willing to support many teams, and seems to never get too worked up over the stats issues, team jumping and taking the "competition" to an extreme level. The friendly and NOT overly excitable way he responds to comments that often ruffled my own feathers always impresses me.

If there's ONE person on the Free-DC team (or probably any team for that matter) that deserves respect, I think it's Dyy. Obviously others dissagree, but (also obviously) some people REALLY need a drink...

Where's that Emoticon for giving someone "the finger" when you need it..

MashRinx

You really should post here more often, MashRinx. It's great therapy, and we promise to read your stuff.

If ya feel that strongly about it, share it! I couldn't even get a rise out of you on your birthday.

Good to hear from you. And I couldn't agree more. Ppl just get too caught up in the competition.

Originally posted by Paratima
    You really should post here more often, MashRinx. It's great therapy, and we promise to read your stuff.

Good to hear from you. And I couldn't agree more. Ppl just get too caught up in the competition.
    MashRinx I agree with Paratima... Post here more often... enjoyed reading your thoughts and your right Dyyryath is the man, much repect for his support of all DC projects and he's huge efforts in brilliant stats.

hmmm...

Damn I hate stuff like this

Aegion, your accusations against Dyyryath is simply not fair. I like and respect you (and Dyyryath) a lot, but you stepped over the line here.

The knights have been jumping around forever and Dyyryath just decided to make a little fun out of it

Spamming and recruiting on other team forums is a bad thing to do, but Dyyryath didn't do that and I'm 200% sure that was never, ever his intention either.
    Pointwood

All water under the bridge. Let's just let this one die out...
    Keep up the great crunching effort everyone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12