Thread: Wireless internet broken when bridged

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wireless internet broken when bridged

On an XP machine, I have an active ethernet and wireless connection. The computer gets its internet connection from the wireless. When I bridge the two connections I cannot ping or nslookup anything at all including private and public IP addresses. I checked the bridge config and it has an IP correctly assigned by my DHCP server with all correct gateway and DNS settings.

Why would all wireless functionality break just by bridging the connections?

I can give my whole network topology if necessary, but I wondered if this were something simple I've overlooked.

edit: no firewall involved.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    hmm i take it they ip address of the wireless and wired are different and on the same subnet or the subnet mask is such that subnet a can see subnet b
    i.e 192.168.1.x & 192.168.2.x mask 255.255.253.0 or something like.
    it has 1 gateway as which is same for both I'm thinking it's trying to do a lookup and failing as it's getting confused (it's XP not hard).
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x are different subnets and subnet mask should probs be set to 255.255.255.0. Why use bridging?
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

The wireless connection before bridging has:

• IP address 192.168.2.1
    • Subnet 255.255.255.0
    • Gateway 192.168.2.5 (FreeBSD server)

The wired connection before bridging has:

• IP address 192.168.0.1
    • Subnet 255.255.255.0
    • Gateway blank

The wired connection is to an Xbox 360 which has an IP address of 192.168.0.2. At the moment, the Xbox 360 gets its internet connection from the XP box using ICS. Bridging requires that you disable ICS beforehand, which I am doing. However, as far as I can tell this has nothing to do with the Xbox. The fact of the matter is that as soon as I bridge the two connections on the XP box, I can't ping anything, including private network addresses (like the FreeBSD server).

Once the bridge is made, it gets an IP address from the DHCP daemon on the FreeBSD server. For instance, it has been 192.168.2.255 and still unable to ping 192.168.2.5. This is what I don't understand.

I even tried this same thing on a laptop connected in the same way, and the same thing happens. Can't ping anything.

edit: Just to be clear, the Xbox 360 works just fine like this online, that's not my problem. I want to bridge the connections instead of using ICS and I can't understand why it breaks all network connectivity on the XP box.

Any ideas? This is really bothering me.

Have you actually checked and made sure you disabled the ics in the "services" panel ? Restarted more than once? Make sure they all have the same dhcp/dns server address.
    Why are you bridging? Surely, if the xbox has a fixed ip range (don't know about xboxes) the Free BSD server can have that range or a fixed path added to it's scope?
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat