Thread: Protein change Oct. 15 ?

Protein change Oct. 15 ?

We will reach 10.000.000.000 structures for the current protein sometime next week (Oct 10 seems most likely). I remember that Howard said the protein changes will occur always on the first Tuesday after we reach the limit - so the next Protein change will occur on Tuesday Oct 15 ?

Being new here I've never been through a protein change. What happens to the stats afterwards...do they reset? Are they carried forward?

Some are, some aren't.

Every members' and teams' overall "structions you / your team hast created" is kept; "Your smallest RMSD structure" of all members and the "Best structures generated to date"-list are reset.

Originally posted by wirthi
    Some are, some aren't.

Every members' and teams' overall "structions you / your team hast created" is kept; "Your smallest RMSD structure" of all members and the "Best structures generated to date"-list are reset.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Now I know what to look forward to

I think tomorrow we'll have 10 billions structures. Will then be the change? Would be nice to know!

It is getting really close eh?
    9,530,317,873 completed...

Originally posted by IronBits
    It is getting really close eh?
    9,530,317,873 completed...
    It's not only the question of the 10 billions, its also the mentioned October 15th. So, when will there be the change?

Perhaps there may be someone from the official team for giving a competent answer. :|punch|:
    Last edited by Pascal; 10-08-2002 at 02:18 PM.

If the protein update is on 15OCT02, should you let the machines rest a bit untill then, or will the structures generated in between do some good?

pmfp sends
    "There's only one bullet with your name on it, there's a thousand other ones that are addressed 'To Whom It May Concern'."
    -Tracy Paul Warrington

Originally posted by pmfp
    If the protein update is on 15OCT02, should you let the machines rest a bit untill then, or will the structures generated in between do some good?
    Unlike other projects (RC5), all work will do some good, even when it is done after the "goal" is reached. It is still possible that we find a better structure after we reach 10.000.000.000 structures. Unless there is some bug or other problem, all the work until the change will be used.

Unlike other projects (RC5), all work will do some good, even when it is done after the "goal" is reached. It is still possible that we find a better structure after we reach 10.000.000.000 structures. Unless there is some bug or other problem, all the work until the change will be used.
    that isn't completely right, if you don't return a protein's structure within the window after the protein switch, the server will not accept it and you won't get credit and the server/howard will never know about it (since the server won't take it) , so its possible for somebody to get a lower value structure after the protein change that never gets used

if you have autoupdate set and your boxen send frequently/are permanently internet connected, it shouldn't be a problem

if you have your boxen off-line , then its a good idea (IMHO) to shut them down and transmit your stuctures right before the changeover, although you can do it right after , but watch out for the cutoff!
    Use the right tool for the right job!

The rule is if you send structures for the old protein with 24hrs of the switchover you get full credit. If you send them within 48hrs you get 1/2 credit. After that they're not accepted.

Vic

Ok, let's compute the actual protein up to Oct, 15th. Let's say, we'll need 10 weeks for every of the 9 coming proteins.
    I.e. March or May 2004 until we finish phase IIb. But in the policy is said, that all data in the registered user base will be deleted on Dec, 31st. 2003.
    In what way will that work up to the end of 2003?

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Originally posted by Pascal

Ok, let's compute the actual protein up to Oct, 15th. Let's say, we'll need 10 weeks for every of the 9 coming proteins.
    I.e. March or May 2004 until we finish phase IIb. But in the policy is said, that all data in the registered user base will be deleted on Dec, 31st. 2003.
    In what way will that work up to the end of 2003?
    Looks like we'll need to add a few more boxen then

Just saw the stats thermometer and we have finally reached the 10 billion mark.

So are we changing today, or tomorrow, or next week?

Can someone please tell me please...

That's what most of us would like to know

It is most likely that the protein change occurs on next Tuesday (Oct 15), but Howard hasn't reported any date yet.

Today no change will occur; up to now Howard has reported any change some days in advance.

Change will be October, 15th.

But there isn't any interested in giving information at this board, or is?

[QUOTE]Ok, let's compute the actual protein up to Oct, 15th. Let's say, we'll need 10 weeks for every of the 9 coming proteins. /QUOTE]

Pascal - if you look at http://www.statsman.org/distfoldings...tml/index.html you'll notice that we're running through about 2 bil structures/week with this protein. And we seem to keep attracting more participants, so that rate should keep increasing, as well; so it should end up being less than 5 weeks for each new protein, depending on how easy they are to fold, and the number of additional people and computers added to the project over the next year.

===From the News section on distributedfolding.org===

What's New

10/09/2002

- As we have now reached 10 billion structures, the next protein update will occur on the following Tuesday, Oct. 15, at around noon EDT.
    1st for Overclockers Australia

..so it should end up being less than 5 weeks for each new protein, depending on how easy they are to fold, and the number of additional people and computers added to the project over the next year. [/B]
    Ok. What's the reason, that you expect the growing number of people and computers?
    For the actual protein we may need 5 weeks or so, but the next protein will take mor computing power probably. I think there are some people that may leave because of hanging progress.

Originally posted by DGROMS.com
    ===From the News section on distributedfolding.org===
    What's New 10/09/2002
    - As we have now reached 10 billion structures, the next protein update will occur on the following Tuesday, Oct. 15, at around noon EDT.
    Thanks for the information.
    I never go to the project site unless there is a major problem.
    I thought this place would have the most current and active information.
    /me shrugs
    So I guess we need an 'official' reader of the project site news to keep us updated over here

Originally posted by IronBits

I thought this place would have the most current and active information.
    /me shrugs
    I thought that too. Howard is usually present in this forum, but he seems to have missed this thread that has been here for no less than five days by now.

hi,

The update will actually be on Wed. the 16th (as now correctly stated on the web site). I did not say anything before because I did not decide yet We will likely at this time also complete the maintenance that was started a week ago as that did not get finished, so it may be down for several hours. We will also add the UID to uniquely identify users at this time, though it may not immediately show up on the stats pages until several days later.

At to the policy of deleting info on Dec. 2003 etc., that will obviously be revised if the project is still running then, as it may indeed change direction before that time. It is meant more to assure you that when the project IS complete, we will destroy all personal info and not sell it to others, etc.

As it stands, we will proceed with the current phase, sampling 10 billion structures, but at the same time as I have mentioned elsewhere we will be trying to change the sampling to work more like a genetic algorithm, and when this is tested and complete we will instead of doing 10 billion random samples switch to the genetic algorithm. This will have little impact on the end user, running the client, and it will appear to you to still be doing pretty much the same thing. The biggest difference is every once and a while it when it uploads data to the server it will also download a small (digitally signed, of course) packet of data which it will then make use of to bias its sampling. We are very excited about trying out this new method, but expect it to be at least several months until it is all worked out and functional. We expect it will result in significantly lower RMSDs in much shorter time frames, and in the worst case it should not do any worse than the current approach. But the only way to find out for sure is to try it.

To answer one other question, any structures produced between now and when we change proteins (even though we've filled the thermometer) will still be collected and of interest so please keep folding, it is nto going to waste!
    Howard Feldman

Thanks for the reply Howard.

Interesting info, all around.

Originally posted by Pascal

Ok. What's the reason, that you expect the growing number of people and computers?
    I started around 7.14.02 with a group that had 53 users and there were close to 12,000 registered users. 3 months later, our group has 126 users, and there are now close to 14,000 registered users. The people that are staying active in our team are usually the ones with a collection of machines. (so even if we're staying at the same number of "active" members, the numbers of computers folding for our team is increasing).
    (granted, I'm optimistic

@Howard: I thank you very much for your answer. Sorry for my inquisitive questions

@tpdooley: I'm a realist with a little negative taste..sometimes a bit critical

Ok, guys..keep on folding. :|punch|:

Originally posted by Brian the Fist

To answer one other question, any structures produced between now and when we change proteins (even though we've filled the thermometer) will still be collected and of interest so please keep folding, it is nto going to waste!
    That's very good to know Howard. Thanks for the update. Just so I understand...will we now be doing another 10 billion structures using the next protein?

Release All Zigs!
    Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    Is that thermometer kept in a freezer or something because that liquid should be pouring over the side now or evaporating instead of continuing to go straight up .

TTFN,

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

Originally posted by runestar½

Is that thermometer kept in a freezer or something because that liquid should be pouring over the side now or evaporating instead of continuing to go straight up .

Perhaps now they're seeding out all the produced structures