Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eon ----- After all this time, DOES NOT WORK ON LINUX

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Eon ----- After all this time, DOES NOT WORK ON LINUX

Guys,
    you aren't going to believe this.... but after all this time.... AND what appears to be a working FIDA package (at least at startup), the APPLICATION.SO (aka DLL) is not included in the download.

I figured since we know we trip over the host OS with Eon, and many people run bt's on linux faster than windows, I would give it a try...... WRONG!

the .tar.gz was created in 2005.... seems nobody ever noticed the application (.so/.dll in windows) was missing!!!

How's that for a laugh?!??!?!

People want to spend time with a Eon Proxy????..... be my guest. I know they mean well, but when switching to an OS that doesn't trip over itself with sockets, there is no working application..... Oh well.... NEXT!

Please don't tell me this notice was posted somewhere, for if it was, it surely got missed by the search.

LOL

C.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Er... The current application, as you say, is libAlCli.so. The basic executable client should fire up, notice that the .so file isn't in attendance and then communicate with the Mother Ship to get the latest & greatest. This allows them to update just the one module when needed. Indeed the main eon shell executable hasn't been updated since 2005.

Someone more up to date than myself may be able to explain this better.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

I agree with Paratima. It should download that file the first time it makes successful contact with the server.

Blog Entries

getting the app to download.

I'm not sure of why, but i can't even get to the point of establishing 'Mother Ship' connection. I will try again. I still have 4 Opteron 250s that can be put into play along with the other hardware. I just wanted to get 1 running first and then copy it all over since all machines are the same FC8 config & kernel (less 1 'development machine' which has more 'toys')

I am using the same config and all that has worked in windows without incident.

I do apologize for the harsh words.... Now that i look at it I wish i could ammend my comments to be calmer. I was quite unprofessional. Please accept my apologies.

I can only hope I don't flame like that often, and if/when I ever do, I wish to thank you all for being a) calm and b) VERY professional and educational in your replies.

You deserve to know what precipitated me being on edge. Plain and simple: My 'forever-faithful' FC8 master DVD got a nasty scratch on it just as I was about to do a final (production) load on the new quad-quad box. After having fixed a bunch of little issues like drive 0 on port 1, etc I was ready to give it a go (grub never failed me before even in early 2002 with smart cards/flash solid-state emulated disks for a FAA certified device)...so you can imagine how upset i got after weeks of burnin/stress-testing/heat-sink curing.... suddenly to have it all go south. It would install and everything, but then go south with a GRUB boot failure. It did was it was told... but the existing config of the raid sure didn't like it and gave no notice (I will check into that)... Once fixed, I clearly had to start over and that is when Murphy's Law kicked in...... Gotta love it!

I thank you all again for your understanding and patience. I just put up a pair of Optie 1220s on OGR to help out there. FC8 is finally settling down with the new DVD burn and it's nice to have a warm room here in the basement now that winter is getting near.

I will try to get things stable ASAP and the 250s on Eon.... should be interesting.

So far, there is plenty of warm air to rise up to keep the first floor warm, so I am getting some secondary benefit.

C.

The EON project is not worthy of all that frustration!
    There are not enough work units to go around.
    I only run 6 instances period, IF they get lucky and get work, fine, if not fine.
    I stopped paying attention to it moons ago, and I suggest you do the same.

Come play with us on llrnet nplb port 400 if you like

Blog Entries

Post Eon trash canned.

IB,
    Thanks, I will just let that go then. I am nearly at max cpu utilization (other than my 250s) as it is... I can push them to the testing work I have to complete as well as one other task.

I am working on some updated software for NPLB and all which should, as soon as verification is completed, make playing a lot more fun AND productive.

ATM, I am letting the software verify existing candidates from the top-5000 list as well as 'pick out' known test composites I have injected in the test list.

When that process is complete, it will be ready for beta/everyone to test and verify that it works for all projects.

It's been a piece of work that I knew in advance would be no 'picnic'.

AMD cpu owners will be pleased to know it is running faster than previous versions as well.

I will let you all know in the appropriate thread(s) when things are ready and where they can be downloaded from.

C.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    The EON project is not worthy of all that frustration!
    There are not enough work units to go around.
    I only run 6 instances period, IF they get lucky and get work, fine, if not fine.
    I stopped paying attention to it moons ago, and I suggest you do the same.

Come play with us on llrnet nplb port 400 if you like
    Ya Chuck I am holding the front at EoN for Free-DC Had to setup a 2nd DSL line to do it
    The sad part is that at this pace it will take Free-DC 430 years to take first place
    I wish they had a steady flow of WU's

Blog Entries
    You can have steady flow of WU's

Check this out - no cheating, just 8 hours of EoN.

And the secret is http://www.pubquizcentre.nl/DigiK-oz/dceon.aspx

Local proxy for EoN. Iа you have problems with config - just ask.....
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Didn't work under Windows XP 64bit

I couldn't make it play as advertised under XP 32-bit. Just starts 2 clients, period.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

hehe ..... I see that Death has DPC stuff on his PC!!

yeah .... its easy to setup if you know how.

and it runs great .... with about 5 pc's we can get the same amount of points as Lauren2U's total home pc's!!

however the server @ eon is still C R A P and S L O W ! ! !
    Dutch Power Cows jumping along

Blog Entries

in a pig's....err cow's eye.....

Let's see...

Easy to configure. IF you know which XML number means what. Assuming that is read at startup as there is no other means of config.

Proxy packets and run clients under 2K..... Hah. Doesn't matter which .NET environment you have other than getting a start - prepare to shutdown - stop trio of buttons.

I have better things to do with my time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by [NGS]Cpt00Kirk View Post
    hehe ......... with about 5 pc's we can get the same amount of points as Lauren2U's total home pc's!!

! !
    Thanks I needed a smile to day, or in this case a good laugh
    5 MMM they must be 16 cores each

Blog Entries

Talking Our Laugh for the day

Lauren,
    I whole heartedly concur!!! Nothing like some in the group to give us the we need.

But, if all else fails... there is always , and I happen to know of one who can take the center out of a '0' on the pistol range.

I simply consider the source. As told to me 'show us the bacon'.... or in this case " Where's the beef? " (which would mean 'minimum system requirements, .NET version, SP level, start/proxy software version of the software... and not the 'spy on other team version' AND a 'README' / instruction file or POSTING RIGHT HERE!).

C

Blog Entries
    Well all I can say is the those 5 PC's must be off Grazing some place
    _Looking at the stats I alone did 90% more then your Whole team did for all of last month

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Lauren,
    I whole heartedly concur!!! Nothing like some in the group to give us the we need.

But, if all else fails... there is always , and I happen to know of one who can take the center out of a '0' on the pistol range.

I simply consider the source. As told to me 'show us the bacon'.... or in this case " Where's the beef? " (which would mean 'minimum system requirements, .NET version, SP level, start/proxy software version of the software... and not the 'spy on other team version' AND a 'README' / instruction file or POSTING RIGHT HERE!).

C
    I guess most of the information you ask for is on the downloadpage itself. It just works for me (if I run it) on a XP-32bit install (I don't know my .net-version as I'm currently not at home). If you have questions that can't be awnsered by you guys here try to ask the question at our forum (http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/...s/1314260/last is the current thread). English is normally no problem for us Dutch Power Cows.
    Member of The Dutch Power Cows
    Member of subteam Los Alcoholicos

Blog Entries

DPC EON .NET utility

Thanks,
    but I have withdrawn from participating in Eon.

My previous post was meant in the spirit of fun and inter-team competition.
    Please do not assume anything harsh by it.

With thanks.
    C.

No problems here.

It's a bit pity though that we DPC discovered eon a bit too late. Other teams are so far ahead of us...
    We need a lot more power on eon to participate in de overall-stats. We have now about 4-5 guy's semi-active on eon. Daily-stats we can manage if LAUREN2 doesn't use all the traffic from the project.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaverius View Post
    No problems here.

It's a bit pity though that we DPC discovered eon a bit too late. Other teams are so far ahead of us...
    We need a lot more power on eon to participate in de overall-stats. We have now about 4-5 guy's semi-active on eon. Daily-stats we can manage if LAUREN2 doesn't use all the traffic from the project.
    Too late I am just about ready to swap out my old (3 Months) 10/100 Liksys router with a New 100/1000 Gigabit Linksys Router
    To Handle even more Bandwidth
    There are just to to many WU's Not getting to all my Nodes

Blog Entries

Talking Routers, Switches, and Wires.... Oh My!

Lauren,
    While you are at it... (if I may suggest)... add a 2nd (or #2 & #3) 100/1000 high speed switch(es) for the 'inside' (trusted) side. And for those machines with dual ports, let them do the aggregating / traffic routing on their own or configure them manually.

Doing that here made a HUGE difference. local host-host communications is across two parallel switches, both, with in/out traffic coming into the 'backbone' via an uplink to one. It has a wonderful benefit of allowing both hard and soft 'partitioning' of the net.

Aggregating/multi-pathing the switches & routers makes it rather 'insane' with performance. It made the difference between having to store locally and then process on the 'big machine' vs just storing it on the 'work space' on the 'big machine'. (It's not uncommon for me to be laying down 768KB/sec/channel of raw audio during a recording session.) You can see how you will end up 'finding a use' for the bandwidth real fast. I did with 13->16 microphones around the piano. Then think of what I have to do for the end product after tweaking, downsampling, and final laydown ISOs for the DVD and CD along with a 'FLAC' set.

Not to mention, you can *FINALLY* get the 'GOOD' upgrade for your flight sim program and REALLY have a nice big database and fast PVM/NUMA cluster to play it on.

Enjoy!
    C

PS: Let me know if you want someone to store and forward packets for you while you make the switchover. I wouldn't want you to miss any work packets.

Blog Entries
    hahaha The new router is just for my crunchers on EoN because of the large bandwidth requirements of the project and the expansion of my Pharm
    Not for My personal use the 10/100 router on the 2nd DSL line is just fine for that

And I would not know the first thing about 'partitioning' the net. dual ports, aggregating or traffic routing
    I am just a dumb plumber with a thick head

Blog Entries

Talking Duh!

Duh,
    I don't care how you use it.... just thought you would like to hear a suggestion as a possible alternative to your current plans since you will have all the wiring ripped up anyway! AND USE UPNP anyway.... let it do the work!!! But you can plug in both the A & B ethernet cables from a machine to a switch, right???? <BIG GRIN>

Once you 'lift the hood', might as well check the belts while checkin' the oil!

Figured you *MIGHT* have need for even more at the rate you are going..... Why do two upgrades when the other one is already just over the hill!

C.

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    Too late I am just about ready to swap out my old (3 Months) 10/100 Liksys router with a New 100/1000 Gigabit Linksys Router
    To Handle even more Bandwidth
    There are just to to many WU's Not getting to all my Nodes
    The getting not enough WU's is not a problem here, I guess the WU's like a short holiday in the Netherlands.
    And no, I don't live in Amsterdam.

The problem here is not having enough cashflow to get some more machines crunching.

Blog Entries
    Good choice on the router..... The Gigabit will do you well! If I could show the back of some of our rigs, you would typically see about 14 of them (2 per cabinet) across the top along with the fibre loop.

Personally, I think just a plain fast switch could have saved you a few bucks, requires NO configuration (a benefit for ya), and is easy as pie to swap out! But, not knowing the pharm heirarchy, you know what's best.

Sounds like it will haul buns either way!

C.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaverius View Post

Want to try NPLB project? Fast wu's in there....

Blog Entries
    Good choice on the router..... The Gigabit will do you well! If I could show the back of some of our rigs, you would typically see about 14 of them (2 per cabinet) across the top along with the fibre loop.

Personally, I think just a plain fast switch could have saved you a few bucks, requires NO configuration (a benefit for ya), and is easy as pie to swap out! But, not knowing the pharm heirarchy, you know what's best.

Sounds like it will haul buns either way!

C.
    I needed a Good DSL Router to handle all the network traffic here each of the 4 ports on the Router go to a 16/24 port /100 switch that controls 1 tower each (tower = about 150GhZ)

The broadband routers I have been using need to be reset to often and get overwhelmed by all the traffic here to the point I lose control of the Router and need to cold boot them
    Or the inter net go's out and work stalls out

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Let's see...

Easy to configure. IF you know which XML number means what. Assuming that is read at startup as there is no other means of config.
    Well, there's two ways to edit settings - first: stuck with xml, second: go to menu File - Settings.
    I prefer second. It's a little simplier.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    it's simple as soap.

wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

and you can use 1 pc as proxy ... and let the other ones connect to this proxy bij entering the ip of the proxy pc.

like we say in holland : DPC rocks!!
    Dutch Power Cows jumping along

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [NGS]Cpt00Kirk View Post
    and you can use 1 pc as proxy ... and let the other ones connect to this proxy bij entering the ip of the proxy pc.

like we say in holland : DPC rocks!!
    Like we say over here, Fire up the BBQ honey we is gonna hunt some beef..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Darn I lose power for a bit and I let so many WU's slip out

Blog Entries

Question slipping on soap

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    it's simple as soap.

IF I had those visible (for settings.... the LEFT window), which they aren't, I wouldn't have said anything, but they are NOT visible...... only the 3 large buttons at the bottom of the right. What you have posted was NEVER visible. There is no menu, file or other buttons of ANY kind that would allow any of the configuration I expected. Why else would a lifetime computer engineer be so annoyed? That's also WHY I wanted to know which .NET version, etc..... I run Linux and 2K here... period...... So let me guess.... you need .NET 3.5 or higher?

So, I ask..... which .NET Framework version please and did the developer take 2K into consideration or is it an XP and above piece of software ??

Goph, I've got some good wood for the pit if you need it.

Lauren, have no fear. We all have glitches from time to time.... Now there's no excuse for what's going on... Now's it's show the bacon time or clam up for good.

C
    Last edited by Chuck; 11-21-2008 at 11:34 AM.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Goph, I've got some good wood for the pit if you need it.

C
    Chuck, you da man, bring 'em on over well stoke it up good..

Beefburger anyone..q
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    Chuck, you da man, bring 'em on over well stoke it up good..

Beefburger anyone..q
    I like Road-Kill myself It adds that spacial flavor and make the meat so so tender

Blog Entries

Cattle Guards

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    I like Road-Kill myself It adds that spacial flavor and make the meat so so tender
    .... and you wonder why we have those HUGE grill guards on our cars & trucks in Texas?????? We just LOOK dumb.

C.

Blog Entries
    Chuck as stated at eon proxy homepage you need .NET 2.0, it 2k compatible.
    I didn't look at xml file cuz I can access settings tab, but after your post, I looked at it and understand your feelings about a b с d e tags )))

I can make a table for you with right settings - i.e. a - number of clients, b - number of requesters, etc.

btw, what's up with eOn site?? It's down for a few days ((((((((
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    also after installing .NET I suggest you to visit update.microsoft.com (not windows update but microsoft update if it works with 2k) and get all the latest updates for .NET and entire system.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

I give up on EON. I've been noticing on my Windows 64bit boxen, the clients bogs down my network after awhile, in that my Boinc clients cannot make a connection until I kill off the Eon clients.
    This project is not worth all the effort.
    Like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Blog Entries

Smile

Guess the Eon server got hit with a cattle guard and is now in the category.

Therefore the need for an Eon Proxy is now O.B.E. but thank you for the effort!!!!!!
    It is greatly appreciated!

You guys got the BBQ pit all fired up? It's Ribs tonight!!!

C.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    I give up on EON. I've been noticing on my Windows 64bit boxen, the clients bogs down my network after awhile, in that my Boinc clients cannot make a connection until I kill off the Eon clients.
    This project is not worth all the effort.
    Like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip.
    But I Like bloody turnips and I got a good Blood press setup here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast