Thread: Eon ----- After all this time, DOES NOT WORK ON LINUX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Eon ----- After all this time, DOES NOT WORK ON LINUX

Guys,
    you aren't going to believe this.... but after all this time.... AND what appears to be a working FIDA package (at least at startup), the APPLICATION.SO (aka DLL) is not included in the download.

I figured since we know we trip over the host OS with Eon, and many people run bt's on linux faster than windows, I would give it a try...... WRONG!

the .tar.gz was created in 2005.... seems nobody ever noticed the application (.so/.dll in windows) was missing!!!

How's that for a laugh?!??!?!

People want to spend time with a Eon Proxy????..... be my guest. I know they mean well, but when switching to an OS that doesn't trip over itself with sockets, there is no working application..... Oh well.... NEXT!

Please don't tell me this notice was posted somewhere, for if it was, it surely got missed by the search.

LOL

C.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Er... The current application, as you say, is libAlCli.so. The basic executable client should fire up, notice that the .so file isn't in attendance and then communicate with the Mother Ship to get the latest & greatest. This allows them to update just the one module when needed. Indeed the main eon shell executable hasn't been updated since 2005.

Someone more up to date than myself may be able to explain this better.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

I agree with Paratima. It should download that file the first time it makes successful contact with the server.

Blog Entries

getting the app to download.

I'm not sure of why, but i can't even get to the point of establishing 'Mother Ship' connection. I will try again. I still have 4 Opteron 250s that can be put into play along with the other hardware. I just wanted to get 1 running first and then copy it all over since all machines are the same FC8 config & kernel (less 1 'development machine' which has more 'toys')

I am using the same config and all that has worked in windows without incident.

I do apologize for the harsh words.... Now that i look at it I wish i could ammend my comments to be calmer. I was quite unprofessional. Please accept my apologies.

I can only hope I don't flame like that often, and if/when I ever do, I wish to thank you all for being a) calm and b) VERY professional and educational in your replies.

You deserve to know what precipitated me being on edge. Plain and simple: My 'forever-faithful' FC8 master DVD got a nasty scratch on it just as I was about to do a final (production) load on the new quad-quad box. After having fixed a bunch of little issues like drive 0 on port 1, etc I was ready to give it a go (grub never failed me before even in early 2002 with smart cards/flash solid-state emulated disks for a FAA certified device)...so you can imagine how upset i got after weeks of burnin/stress-testing/heat-sink curing.... suddenly to have it all go south. It would install and everything, but then go south with a GRUB boot failure. It did was it was told... but the existing config of the raid sure didn't like it and gave no notice (I will check into that)... Once fixed, I clearly had to start over and that is when Murphy's Law kicked in...... Gotta love it!

I thank you all again for your understanding and patience. I just put up a pair of Optie 1220s on OGR to help out there. FC8 is finally settling down with the new DVD burn and it's nice to have a warm room here in the basement now that winter is getting near.

I will try to get things stable ASAP and the 250s on Eon.... should be interesting.

So far, there is plenty of warm air to rise up to keep the first floor warm, so I am getting some secondary benefit.

C.

The EON project is not worthy of all that frustration!
    There are not enough work units to go around.
    I only run 6 instances period, IF they get lucky and get work, fine, if not fine.
    I stopped paying attention to it moons ago, and I suggest you do the same.

Come play with us on llrnet nplb port 400 if you like

Blog Entries

Post Eon trash canned.

IB,
    Thanks, I will just let that go then. I am nearly at max cpu utilization (other than my 250s) as it is... I can push them to the testing work I have to complete as well as one other task.

I am working on some updated software for NPLB and all which should, as soon as verification is completed, make playing a lot more fun AND productive.

ATM, I am letting the software verify existing candidates from the top-5000 list as well as 'pick out' known test composites I have injected in the test list.

When that process is complete, it will be ready for beta/everyone to test and verify that it works for all projects.

It's been a piece of work that I knew in advance would be no 'picnic'.

AMD cpu owners will be pleased to know it is running faster than previous versions as well.

I will let you all know in the appropriate thread(s) when things are ready and where they can be downloaded from.

C.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    The EON project is not worthy of all that frustration!
    There are not enough work units to go around.
    I only run 6 instances period, IF they get lucky and get work, fine, if not fine.
    I stopped paying attention to it moons ago, and I suggest you do the same.

Come play with us on llrnet nplb port 400 if you like
    Ya Chuck I am holding the front at EoN for Free-DC Had to setup a 2nd DSL line to do it
    The sad part is that at this pace it will take Free-DC 430 years to take first place
    I wish they had a steady flow of WU's