Thread: CUDA client now available!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation CUDA client now available!

There is now a CUDA client available for AMD64 Linux on the pre-release download section. Currently only RC5-72 is supported.

Post your benchmarks here!

so being totally ignorant on the nvida graphics cards, what will this work on. What's the power draw? What size PS does the system need? What cuda stuff that they mentioned on the dnetc site needs to be installed?? Is anyone here trying this stuff out? Can multiple cards be loaded into a system? Etc., etc., blah blah....

It's only money................

I don't have any practical experience with this stuff yet, but I might be able to answer some of your questions..

The distributed.net pre-release download page linked above says that you require "CUDA libraries and drivers", which I'd guess you can get here.

According to Wikipedia, CUDA will run on:

CUDA works with all NVIDIA GPUs from the G8X series onwards, including GeForce, Quadro and the Tesla line. NVIDIA states that programs developed for the GeForce 8 series will also work without modification on all future Nvidia video cards, due to binary compatibility.
    A full list of CUDA-enabled hardware can be found here.

I picked a card at random - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT and checked on nvidia.com for the technical specs. The maximum power draw is 105W and states the minimum required PSU is 400W.

Well as I suspected, I don't have a compatible card. So I think that I'll wait a bit before I purchase one and see how things go with those knowledgeable and brave enough to venture forth and experiment.

I just cranked up my *nix 64, GPU box on this project. Brucifer got me curious..

AMD 9550
    9800GX2

I never ran this project before. This is more of a test, than anything else.

It is running about 470 Mkeys/s. Is this Fast?? Average??
    Last edited by Bender10; 11-30-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Out of My MIND!!!! Back in 5 minutes........

Blogging Found Here

well it's all relative... But how long was the system running when it gave you that mnodes number in the summary?

Since you were just testing today, and it was most likely just one system, I'd have to say you were ripping along at a good click.