Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Jodie?

Question What happened to Jodie?

Real life has been pulling me away so I might have missed her gradual slide off the Top 10, but the last time I checked she was Number #3 (or at the very least #4). Now's she's nowhere to be seen. How could she be bumped so quickly off the Top Ten?

Jodie, you still here?

There was a thread around someone about it...

Thanks for asking!

Basically - I decided a new Lamborghini was more attractive than running a farm. Cost the same.

So I dropped back a 'little' - donated all my machines to a school district. Enough hardware to put an XP-1800 in every K-5 classroom in a (smallish) district.

Release All Zigs!
    What about all us techies out there? We would have given them a home too...

XP1800+... nice gifts... "Daddy, our computer is too slow... the computers at school are way faster... Can we get a faster computer?"

Jodie, you just got a lamborghini! What are you going to now?

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

Ummm, go to Disneyland?

It will be the third one I've owned at various times. I'm on a waiting list for it now. Limited edition and all that...

One would think I'd have learned my lesson by now. [shrug]

Jodie, what's left of your farm then? Just computers that you actually use for other things?

Oh, and how do I get classified as a school?

The problem with the farm was monthly rent and maintanence costs. Just not much ROI. I proved to myself I could run with any company or school in the project and that was good enough for me.

I have plans to run half a dozen or so dual P4 Xeon 1U 2.2 or 2.4's here shortly.

That's 25Ghz or so in only a few feet of space with sub-30A of power...

Since I run a video hosting division now, I suspect I could probably sneak that into one of our racks in the datacenter and get away with it indefinitely. That's probably about all that makes sense.

Rats! Just when I thought my 500Mhz computer might stand a chance of catching up to you. *laugh*

So am I right in assuming that really all the other super high flyers are just overseers of computer farms for universities, companies, etc. Or might there be one or more that actually pay for the electricity of their farms? Potential Lamborghini-owners speak up if you're out there.

It's just fun to learn how people are helping out with this project.

And it was nice that you, Jodie, contributed so much out of your own pocket for as long as you did. Hopefully, this project will produce results that will warrant such an investment.

Release All Zigs!
    Hey,

My wife's school didn't get one... We're in California, but that's no excuse...

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

I'm in California. You're in that other state. Southerncalifornia... completely different state.

Release All Zigs!
    Those of you up North are just mad because we have all the great beaches.

Which is okay by me, I prefer the mountains over the beach... you can actually park places without paying an essentially goto the beach tax... and I don't have to try through L.A. traffic <Shudder>

TTFN,

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

Naw, not a single beach down there comes close to Hidden Beach in Rio Del Mar.

It wouldn't be so bad if you'd stop stealing our water...

Anywho - I fear...

Release All Zigs!
    I think What happened to Jodie is a rather broad catergory...

If this were SETI we'd be spectulating about kidnappings (take your pick: aliens or govenment)...

TTFN,

RS½

P.S. I tell you, we should just ship in all that water from the Hurricane that just hit the SouthEast U.S... They might actually PAY us to take the water...
    The SETI TechDesk

Yup! Broad enough that I think I'd run into posting limits and be hunted by BOTH gubernment and aliens.

Good idea on the water. How many pots and pans do you have? Prehaps you could catch it all?

Release All Zigs!
    What? We got those military satellites up there in orbit... just burn a new river right across Texas and through the desert... So we lose a few cows in the process...we'll just have Bush have steak for the next year... he's a good Texas neighbor right? Buy up all those cooked cows...

TTFN,

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

THERE'S a PLAN if ever I heard one!

Release All Zigs!
    While we're at it, we'll have the great DF steak get-together cook-off... okay, the cows are already cooked... but, hey, who cares... free steak right?

Howard, you're gonna come on down for it?

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

See if you can roast some veggie-burgers whilst you're about it, would you? Seeing as how I'm a vegetarian and all.

Release All Zigs!
    Veggieburgers?? In Texas? What are you nuts... Everyone carries a gun in Texas... I'm not going to walk up to the rancher and ask for veggie burgers... I rather enjoy my life thank you very much...

There are two things Texas is known for... cattle and oil... veggieburger they are not... =P

Just eat the hamburger... its nobody's cow we know anyways...

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

I carry a bigger gun. Which means I get to eat my veggieburgers if I wanna.

I don't like wasting animals. Humans I ain't got no problem poking holes in. ESPECIALLY when they get betwixt me and my veggieburgers.

Jodie, can you give us more details about the Lamborghini? What model and what are the specs? When you do get it can you post a picture of it?

I have always wanted a Lamborghini myself but for now I will have to live vicariously through you.

Jeff.

Originally posted by Jodie
    I carry a bigger gun.
    I doubt it.

Originally posted by runestar½
    What? We got those military satellites up there in orbit... just burn a new river right across Texas and through the desert... So we lose a few cows in the process...we'll just have Bush have steak for the next year... he's a good Texas neighbor right? Buy up all those cooked cows...

TTFN,

RS½
    Pardon

What have we done to you?
    As a member of the Dutch Power Cows i take this very seriously. Tsss "so we lose a few cows in the process"

The taunts of those thin heads a.k.a. silly knights we can handle but this is to much
    Member of the Los Alcoholicos

Originally posted by Digital Parasite
    I have always wanted a Lamborghini myself but for now I will have to live vicariously through you.
    Ah, Lamborghinis. The sportscar for midgets. My brother (6'7") and I (6'3") once tried to fit into one. I still have a photo of him behind the steering wheel. Imagine a big guy driving a go-cart that has a roof and you get the picture.

With all the rich basketball and football players, you'd think some company would by now make a sportscar for tall people. *sigh*

Release All Zigs!
    Originally posted by MarcyDarcy

Pardon

What have we done to you?
    As a member of the Dutch Power Cows i take this very seriously. Tsss "so we lose a few cows in the process"

The taunts of those thin heads a.k.a. silly knights we can handle but this is to much

Unless there was rather serious earthquake very recently that relocated you to Texas, I don't think that you have much need to be concerned... We're not aiming for you. =)

Besides is it anycow you know? <pun on the farside cartoon where mother chicken feeding her child chicken soup: "Eat up, its good for you... and besides, its no one we know."

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

Not *that* midgety... I'm almost 5'10" tall with *really* long legs.

I've owned two Countachs, a Diablo SV and now I'm on the waiting list for the Murcielago.

They're all tight as a glove, but a super car should be.

I basically sell my supercar de jour when I found a new startup. And buy another one when the company is on its feet.

Specs? 400 built/year. But only 140 destined for the US. About a year waiting list. My car will be 337/400 for 2002.

The sites out there vary - the dealer quotes 6.2lt V12 engine develops 580bhp@7500RPM and 479lb/ft@4800RPM of torque. Lamborghini-sourced performance figures are 3.4 seconds to 60mph and 214 mph top speed. It will hit 78 in first gear in 3.7.

Handling is in the 1G plus neighborhood, helped (as is launching the thing) by its being all-wheel drive.

6sp manual transmission, 3600lbs wet, 9mpg

All carbon fiber body panels. (helps get that weight down to reasonable-land.)

CD is .33-.35 - depending upon the speed and the variable engine intake and variable wing...

I'll scan the dealer handout later if you like.

Release All Zigs!
    9mpg.... that's what, like 5 revs on the engine and you empty the tank? =)

Would be wasted in the L.A. metro areas down here... you'd be lucky to get 9MPH at times!

However, I can see you doing the Cannonball thing going up 15 to Vegas.

"This is Unit 22... We're going to catch them yet"
    <Lamborghini comes up behind them, runs parallel and passes cops>

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

I do the silver state challange most every year.

Not as fun - it's legal.

I'll scan the dealer handout later if you like.
    That would be tres cool if you could.

Jeff.

Release All Zigs!
    I do the silver state challange most every year.

Not as fun - it's legal.
    Any ambulances?

I can see Jodie on the free way when she gets passed up by this funky looking trussed-up black trans-am with this red strobing LED pattern in front...

RS½

P.S. Jodie, I think we're on our way to rivaling the stats enhancment post in terms of views. =) And you though your life couldn't possibly be that interesting.
    The SETI TechDesk

Jodie, have a job? If so, what?

pmfp sends
    -The most bad ass mofo at kindergarden.
    "There's only one bullet with your name on it, there's a thousand other ones that are addressed 'To Whom It May Concern'."
    -Tracy Paul Warrington

Not much of one...

I'm the president and chief operating officer for a video streaming company. Newly elected - prior to that I was the chief technology officer for the parent company... Prior to that, I was retired. And starting to think longingly that it may be time to go back to being retired. (sorry - one of those "political-days" that I so despise...)

Release All Zigs!
    Originally posted by pmfp
    Jodie, have a job? If so, what?

pmfp sends
    -The most bad ass mofo at kindergarden.
    You said that in Kindergarden you'd end up standing in the corner for next hour so you can consider what you said... Then after that you would write 50 times, I will not say bad words in class.

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

Not much of one...

I'm the president and chief operating officer for a video streaming company. Newly elected - prior to that I was the chief technology officer for the parent company... Prior to that, I was retired. And starting to think longingly that it may be time to go back to being retired. (sorry - one of those "political-days" that I so despise...)
    You were retired? My gosh, how old are you? When you said retired do you mean a young Internet start-up made lots of money in the good old Internet startup days so I don't need to work any more, or you have been working for many years and decided to retire?

Either way, at any age, a Lamborghini is way cool...

Jeff.

Release All Zigs!
    Hummer... come winter and rains... ain't gonna be lamborghinis getting through... besides, if someone in a lamborghini cuts me off I'll just use them as a speed bump. =)

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

You were retired? My gosh, how old are you? When you said retired do you mean a young Internet start-up made lots of money in the good old Internet startup days so I don't need to work any more, or you have been working for many years and decided to retire?

Jeff.
    I'm 30 (gosh that still feels weird to write - and I'm just a few months from 31)...

I IPO'd my first company back in the bad old days before the good old days. 1989. Streaming 3D VR for medical visualization...

I thought I wasn't going back to work again the last time the politics got large-scale-ugly. But I got bored, I guess. Only so long you can lay on a beach, prehaps...

Originally posted by runestar½

Hummer... come winter and rains... ain't gonna be lamborghinis getting through... besides, if someone in a lamborghini cuts me off I'll just use them as a speed bump. =)

RS½
    Is that "using me for a speed bump" the first time I lap you driving completely around the earth or the second?

I'm 30 (gosh that still feels weird to write - and I'm just a few months from 31)...
    Geez, I guess I better get moving then, I only have 4 more years before I reach that age and so far no lamborghini or massive computer farm in sight.

PS: Awesome comeback to runestar1/2's comment

Jeff.

Ok, queriosity<sp> got me, is Jodie a girl or a guy? Sorry I don't pay attention enough but I mostly read for the technical issues.

muttley

Cool, glad to hear. I miss California. I use to live in San Rafael, Marin county. 14 miles north of San Francisco. Weather sure was nice and in general I liked the beaches better than So Cal.
    Bolinas and such was fun different culture there.But I had hair to my shoulderblades and a beard and no one to impress so I fit in.

muttley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast