Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to Jodie?

Originally posted by Runestar½
    You said that in Kindergarden you'd end up standing in the corner for next hour so you can consider what you said... Then after that you would write 50 times, I will not say bad words in class.

RS½
    [/B]
    Hehe, nah, I sneak(ed) by unnoticed. Can't go around breakin' OPSEC you know

Originally posted by Jodie

I'm 30 (gosh that still feels weird to write - and I'm just a few months from 31)...

I IPO'd my first company back in the bad old days before the good old days. 1989. Streaming 3D VR for medical visualization...

I thought I wasn't going back to work again the last time the politics got large-scale-ugly. But I got bored, I guess. Only so long you can lay on a beach, prehaps...

Not meant as a "if I had one million dollars, I would...", but if I had that large amount of money, I would donate some to the <a href="http://specialops.org">SOWF (Special Operations Warrior Foundation - specialops.org)</a>, especially with the current situation. Just a tip though.

pmfp sends
    "There's only one bullet with your name on it, there's a thousand other ones that are addressed 'To Whom It May Concern'."
    -Tracy Paul Warrington

[i]

Handling is in the 1G plus neighborhood, helped (as is launching the thing) by its being all-wheel drive.

[/B]
    Hi Jodie,

Have you got a front pciture of your SV, or rear profile .. I really like these cars.

What colour is / was yours ?

Regards

Andy

Originally posted by RipItUp

Hi Jodie,

Have you got a front pciture of your SV, or rear profile .. I really like these cars.

What colour is / was yours ?

Regards

Andy
    I'm sure I can dig one up - does img tags work here? Oh - they do, I remember... I'll post one for you tomorrow. It was yellow on black/yellow.

Jeff: when someone was flaming Jodie over on the Ars forum a while back FlowerKid or someone did a search and found a bio for Jodie. I don't know where they got it, I would assume they got it off of one of the company's web pages or something.

Anyways, the list of start-ups and Chief something or other positions was pretty massive.

I was just getting ready to say "Gah, it must suck being a female who is active on the internet, because it is so male dominated" but then I realized...atleast here guys pay special attention to her because of her achievements and her skills rather than..other things.

Release All Zigs!

Is that "using me for a speed bump" the first time I lap you driving completely around the earth or the second?
    Like to see you run laps around me in the Malibu mudslides. =)

See your problem is you have to stick to the paved roads... now with a hummer... what's a road? =)

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

Originally posted by MAD-ness
    Jeff: when someone was flaming Jodie over on the Ars forum a while back FlowerKid or someone did a search and found a bio for Jodie. I don't know where they got it, I would assume they got it off of one of the company's web pages or something.
    Her bio is here:
    http://www.interactdevices.com/management.html

There is a small picture here:
    http://cgi.sacbee.com/ib/tech/recent_bee/110900.html

You are right Jodie, you are tall. The Lamborghini must be a tight fit but as you said it should fight like a glove.

Jeff.

Originally posted by runestar½
    See your problem is you have to stick to the paved roads... now with a hummer... what's a road? =)
    Sheesh, talk about a gas guzzler. She might be able to catch you since you would have to leave the mud and go back to the road to fill up on gas every 5 minutes.

Jeff.

Ewww!

You would have to pick the worst picture of me ever taken. Makes me look like a mutant freak.

The guy took it on the floor with a fisheye lens...

(and I'm wearing 3" heels in that pic too)

There are better pics than THAT of me out there. I had a hissy fit when that one hit the paper...

Release All Zigs!
    Originally posted by Digital Parasite

Her bio is here:
    http://www.interactdevices.com/management.html

There is a small picture here:
    http://cgi.sacbee.com/ib/tech/recent_bee/110900.html

You are right Jodie, you are tall. The Lamborghini must be a tight fit but as you said it should fight like a glove.

Jeff.
    JODIE IS THE DOG?!?

Damn, talk about a smart dog.... Funny, it doesn't look the dog is wearing heels, and who's the lady on the right... it doesn't say... only two names...

Now I know I'm blind as a bat, but I swear that dog isn't wearing any 3" heels...

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

Release All Zigs!
    I can see myself broken down on the side of the road with D.P. and along comes "hot-looking" Jodie in her Lamborghini...

"Need a ride?"
    "Are you insured"
    "Yes."
    "By Survival?"
    "No..."
    "I can't take that ride then."

"What are you doing, Rune? Are you nuts."
    "She''s not insured by Survival..."
    "You're nuts... I'm going after her... wait!!! come backkkkkk..."

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

Sounds like a ploy to get you to post urls to all those "better" pics, Jodie. /e ducks.

You were mentioning your trials in keeping a farm of Athlon XP 1800+ machines running, and how rent, power, and air conditioning was costing a bundle. While the Athlon XP 1800+ was a sweet spot for price per performance, and would be a good choice for home users trying to help build up their team's stats for as little as possible - did you do any comparisons on more expensive but cooler running/less power demanding Pentium IV systems of the same performance level? Or attempts at minimizing heat by doing things like hard drive sharing?

Granted, in cooler areas that also have lower costs for power - that wouldn't be a problem.

Release All Zigs!
    Well, no matter what there is going to be a certain cost for cooling whether it be fan or A/C.

If she is run racks of just the boards, its easier to cool them down them a bunch of individual cases, and takes up less space. The thing though is you need an area that is relatively dust-free so you can't just go opening up the windows... so at the very least you have to have some kind of fan sucking in cool air with a dust filter on.

I'm assuming if she donated them that they were in actual cases though, unless she went out and bought a truckload of cases.

TTFN,

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

Thank you runestar - that sure cleared things up for me. Why stop at just one bit of pointless rambling? You could have mentioned that computers don't need any air conditioning or cooling if they're not plugged in. (really low power needs when unplugged, too) Or mentioning that during the summer, temps tend to be warmer than during winter. Or that folks in Nome, Alaska probably don't need to use any air conditioning.

Jodie has mentioned 1. having a computer farm. (and having given it up) 2. being charged excessive rent for its home. 3. living in an area with excessive electrical rates. 4. living in an area with high temps during summer that neccessitate air conditioning for the computer farm.

The question related to her particular circumstance. The least you could have done was answer for her - oh omniscient one whose team has lost the cure to cancer multiple times because they couldn't upload folding results from known protein structures.

Release All Zigs!
    You're the one rambling about "better" pics of Jodie here...

And not everyone has such an esteemed background in understanding PC cooling. =P

As for Nome, Alaska, probably not... but then again, if you convince the Eskimos to buy fridges in the winter... well, damn, you should be working as the lead salesperson for Jodie's company...

Hey Bob, I just bought us a streaming video system.
    We sell manure, Dylan... we don't even have a website? What the heck are we going to do with a streaming video system?
    Ummm....Errr... well that salesguy sure made it sound good...

~RuneStar½
    The SETI TechDesk

Wow. That all took a nasty turn...

Hmmm. Anyway....

I'm of the opinion that at the end of the day the amount of heat you generate is going to be proportional to the amount of work units you generate.

If I were to do it again, I'd go super-high-density blade servers. They'd be slower - but I'd run more of them. The upfront cost would be terribly higher, but the maintanence costs would be lower and you'd need to amortize that over the life of the commitment to the project(s).

Live and learn.

But I agree with runestar - the cooling has got to come from some place.

Most of the people running large farms, I suspect, aren't.

They have a LOT of machines spread over tens of thousands of feet of offices that have good airflow and air return through the AC.

There's a reason for raised floors and multi-ton HVAC in a true 'farm'...

You just can't do it on the cheap. I don't believe so, anyway...

Which is the whole point of distributed computing - is it not?

So if I ever decide to do it, I'd run a 384 P3 proc. blade cluster and I'd house it in a datacenter in two full racks for about $2500/mo. Infinite cooling, infinite backup, infinite bandwidth... Cheap at twice the price.

I know in my latest endeavor, I have a couple 8ft racks with redundant OC48, caterpiller deisel generators, massive UPS, secured access - and its cost is little more than I was paying to house my farm. 'Course all the datacenters are going out of business for the same reasons that I took my farm offline (that's a big nut to crack every month) - but for the next couple years it should make sense...

I was basing my question on the fact that my AMD XP 1800+ (palomino) and AMD XP 1700+ (thourougbred) were outperforming the Intel Pentium 4 based machines at similar speeds that I test out with DF overnight (or for a week, for those clients that are never ready for installation).
    here's the ratings of some of the processors out today:

vid 1.500 2Gig P4 52.4watt max
    vid 1.525 2Gig P4 54.3watt max

vid 1.75 Amd 1800+ (Palomino) 66watt max
    vid 1.50 Amd 1800+ (Thouroughbred) 51watt max

when the 2Gig P4 came out, the Palomino was the only option, and ran 13 watts extra. That's 13 extra watts it's drawing from the wall, and all the extra heat it's generating that has to be dissipated into the air.
    Now that the Thouroughbreds are out, they're 15 watts less than a Palomino, and generating that much less heat into the air as well. The less heat dissipated into the air, the less heat that has to be moved through the HVAC system.

I was wondering if it would have been cost effective for you to have gone with P4 systems instead of the 1800+ pals; or to have switched to Thouroughbreds a few months after they came out. (Would the reduction in power drawn by the 100? computers per month, and the reduction of air conditioning have justified this in the short term even in the excessively priced electrical market you're in?)
    You've answered that you've thought about it, and found even more expensive routes to take with much lower maintenance costs.
    If the electrical & cooling costs for you didn't make sense to pay extra for cooler running (and less power demanding) cpus - for 6months/year - then it wouldn't have made sense for most of the rest of us running much smaller collections of systems. (Thus my question).
    I run up to 10 machines in the subterranean basement that I work in; and during the winter, I sometimes get cool enough to wear a sweater. During the summer, it stays in the 60s. So for some of us, cooling is not an issue. (I live in Kodiak, Alaska) (My boss may complain about the inefficient electrical heaters (computers) being used to warm up the house, though. *grin* )
    I appreciate your answering my question, Jodie, and I thank you.

Good luck.

The sites out there vary - the dealer quotes 6.2lt V12 engine develops 580bhp@7500RPM and 479lb/ft@4800RPM of torque. Lamborghini-sourced performance figures are 3.4 seconds to 60mph and 214 mph top speed. It will hit 78 in first gear in 3.7.

Handling is in the 1G plus neighborhood, helped (as is launching the thing) by its being all-wheel drive.

6sp manual transmission, 3600lbs wet, 9mpg

All carbon fiber body panels. (helps get that weight down to reasonable-land.)

CD is .33-.35 - depending upon the speed and the variable engine intake and variable wing...
    Mmm-mmm That sucker has a full belly pan too.

Cost effectiveness is elusive when there's no ROI...

I figured out the cost per WU for a particular WU, and that's how I shopped.

The P4 gets eatten by the AMDs. And I don't mean to start a war here, AMD vs Intel... The observed _fact_ is that dollar for dollar - you can't touch the AMD XP cores for DF or Genome.

But long term cost of ownership screams for a blade server...

I actually got away about $20k cheaper on the Lambo than I expected. So I've been thinking about a dense blade server or an eCluster housed in XOs datacenter... I'm under NDA, so I can't say specifically what we're paying in their Fremont DC, but it's, megabit for megabit, watt for watt, btu for btu,sq-ft to sq-ft about 1/5th what I paid to do it myself...

It would take a 300 proc blade to equal a hundred XP1800s. And each blade (excluding enclosure) is three times the cost of a full 1800 machine built on the cheap. So it's seven or eight times the upfront cost. It would amortize out in two years.

Still gets expensive. Figuring out an amortization schedule you can about figure $6400/mo to own a 'top three' cluster.

Unless you have a large and friendly office or very large and very friendly university network, it's an ego thing. Is it worth $6400/mo to see your name in lights? That's the reason stats are important if you want to attract large individual crunchers. I can't imagine a single person forking over that kinda money for very long if the ego isn't saited....

It would take a 300 proc blade to equal a hundred XP1800s. And each blade (excluding enclosure) is three times the cost of a full 1800 machine built on the cheap. So it's seven or eight times the upfront cost. It would amortize out in two years.

Still gets expensive. Figuring out an amortization schedule you can about figure $6400/mo to own a 'top three' cluster.
    This has been the constant problem is that the server speeds are not based on the current processor chip. IE pentium pro (since many are family with this basic) was slow in clock speed etc etc.
    Getting to the point NVidia has a SUN system with almost 3,000 processors and they are quite serious about the Opteron.

muttley

Release All Zigs!
    AMD proved itself with the first Athlon. Companies like nVidia and Microsoft realize that AMD is here to stay for the high-end machines and aren't waiting to see how its doing.

Despite critisms of the companies, they are smart enough to realize that it can only benefit them to may sure they support and fully take advantage of AMD's chips. Perhaps not as soon as we would have liked them... and there are still hard feelings about it, but its here now. Can we say we can fully blame them? There is a certain justification they have to make before devoting man-hours to supporting a brand-new processor family which certainly was impressive in all respects, but had to prove itself where it mattered most... the market.

Despite the issues with heat and power, everyone should be thankful that we have AMD in the marketplace to keep the pressure on Intel... competition inspires innovation. Just how much of the current P4 performance would really be there without AMD challenging Intel? Another PII to PIII path?

This is not to say there aren't some excellent engineers at Intel. Unfortunately, its not them who are driving the company. Maybe Intel should listen to their engineers some more and stop pushing them so hard to get stuff out ny these absolute deadlines.

At any rate just some random thoughts so to speak... how's that Lamborghini coming, Jodie?

Best,

RuneStar½
    The SETI TechDesk

just to get us even further .... this crazy thread is about to pass even the educational threads in terms of number of views.

Release All Zigs!
    Its not off-topic... Jodie was a contributing member to the DF community and therefore she is attached to DF discussion.

RS½
    The SETI TechDesk

I've owned an intel 386/20, 386/25, 486/66, P90, and then moved to the AMD side, and have stuck there ever since. For the average consumer - even if it did cost more over the course of 2 or 3 years of running an AMD cpu vs an intel part of similar performance - they'd opt for the initially less expensive option. (At least that's the impression I get from many of my client's machines filled with $10 no name - no driver support components. )
    My question was not based on AMD bashing (why would I be setting up AMD DF systems to run at home and work just to bash?) but to find out if the 13 extra watts of power the 1800+ Pal burned (and heated up the surrounding air) or the 15 extra watts the 1800+pal burned vs. the 1800+ Tbred were enough to justify moving to the initially more expensive higher speed (for equal DF performance) Intel systems - or replacing later on with $80-$100 1800+ TBred cpus. (a fact much more noticable when you're paying for running 100 13 watt heaters and the hvac/air conditioning for the lot)
    Jodie mentioned her solution - which is out of the range of most of us. (She at least has very commendable dreams and aspirations
    If I state my question on ArsTechnica, perhaps I could get a formula to tell how long you have to run an 66 watt system before it uses up a certain dollar value more than a 52 or 51 watt system (based on local power rates). It would have been much more useful - and closer to what I was asking about - than being told that no matter what - there's some cost in in cooling the system down.

And to those that are teasing us about this subject going offtopic and in a variety of directions - consider this - every minute spent paying attention to or participating in this topic means extra cycles our systems are running DF..

Release All Zigs!
    Well, I'm assuming you mean 24/7... in that case it should be good old-fashioned algebra to figure out at what point the electricity to run an AthlonXP system catches up to the difference in the system cost difference.

A straight number probably will be meaningless since electricity rates vary wildly across the U.S., never mind internationally.

Now I know you want cooling too figured in... but the problem is... what kind of cooling? Window cooler? Swamp cooler (from what I hear this raises the humidity so this might not be ideal)? Central A/C? Dedicated A/C (such as a network closet)? Even based on the same type of cooling, some systems are more efficent than other brands. Newer models are generally more energy efficent than older models.

There's also the question of what kind of setup you have... are you running just the board or is it in a case. If its in a case, its gonna need extra fans obviously which is something else that might need to be figured in.

This is all assuming the actual PC setups are relatively identical. There's going to be some difference in HW support between Intel and AMD.

TTFN,

RuneStar½
    The SETI TechDesk

Social Parasite
    here's the ratings of some of the processors out today:

vid 1.500 2Gig P4 52.4watt max
    vid 1.525 2Gig P4 54.3watt max

vid 1.75 Amd 1800+ (Palomino) 66watt max
    vid 1.50 Amd 1800+ (Thouroughbred) 51watt max
    Wanted to mention that according to some USENET newsgroups, the two companies publish their power ratings differently --

The AMD rating supposedly represents the power draw when running the most demanding heavy-CPU-use software.

The P4 rating supposedly represents the power draw when running the most likely heavy-CPU-use software.

In other words, the P4 rating is said to be arrived at by multiplying the maximum power draw by a chosen percentage.

mikus

Welcome back Jodie! Got the bug again???

Halo Jones (aka Mike @ TGC)

Gawds No!

Just the junk I have laying around... A few AMDs and a dual xeon P4...

Thanks for noticin' though!!!

That's OK. As far as Dyyryath is concerned, I should be passing you around June. See you then.

Dyyr's stats seem to not be updating (for me atleast)

I'll probably throw a few more machines on before it's all over - but grats on your output! You're movin' up the charts!

Bottom of the Top Ten TheOtherZaphod's Avatar
    Dyyryaths old stats engine is no longer maintaining the old URLs. A new set, with a different look and feel, have been started up. There is a sticky in this forum with the new URL. They are a bit less flashy, and they incorporate more features.

Frankly, I like the changes.
    Don't Panic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12