Thread: Record probable prime found!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Free-DC's Prime Search

Record probable prime found!

Quote Originally Posted by philmoore
    Congratulations to Ben Maloney (paleseptember) who discovered the probable prime [tex]2^{1518191}+75353[/tex]. At 457,022 decimal digits, it should soon appear as the new probable prime record at the website of Henri and Renaud Lifchitz, PRP Records, Probable Primes Top 10000. We have performed strong probable prime tests on this number to all 20 prime bases from 2 to 71. The probability that a random number of this size that passes even one strong probable prime test is composite is less than [tex]10^{-728}[/tex]. This eliminates the first of the five sequences, and should speed up our PRP testing by over 20% as well as our sieving by around 10%. I have already uploaded new work files and will get a new sieve file up soon as well. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this effort!

And now for the embarrassing part - this prp actually showed up in early November, but was not noticed by either of us! In fact, PRP testing is currently approaching 630,000 digits, a good bit beyond this record. I visually scanned all of the results files when they came in, but obviously, out of the more than 300 results in this file, I overlooked the important one! Moral: computers make fewer mistakes than humans, so always search the file for the string "probable". Ben says he did search, but specified the wrong string. Unfortunately, it means that 20% of our PRP testing the past two months was unnecessary, but in the long run, that is probably a drop in the bucket compared to what comes next. All I can say is that it will not happen again!

We are close to finishing PRP testing up to n=2^21, about 2.1 million. In the range from 2^21 to 2^22, I calculate that we should expect about 0.667 new primes. Let's go find another one!
    http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=11296

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    nice.

Congrats PaleSeptember !!

<Does the (probable) Prime Happy Dance>

I've been bouncing off the walls with excitement these last two days whilst Phil ran some of the confirmation tests. In the linky'd thread, he calculates it'd take ~500 million years to verify it as an actual prime. I think I'll be happy with a probable in the meantime!

Onwards to another one! Woo!

Wow, congrats paleseptember, that's great news!

I'm surprised it would take so long to do a full primality test. It only took a single core of my C2D 20 minutes to confirm a ~45,000 digit prime using PFGW. I guess the time taken to perform these tests must increase exponentially with the length of the number.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    nice one paleseptember, now can someone show me the full number
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Quote Originally Posted by paleseptember View Post
    <Does the (probable) Prime Happy Dance>

I've been bouncing off the walls with excitement these last two days whilst Phil ran some of the confirmation tests. In the linky'd thread, he calculates it'd take ~500 million years to verify it as an actual prime. I think I'll be happy with a probable in the meantime!

Onwards to another one! Woo!
    Assuming the 500 million years refers to testing on one core of a modern computer, and assuming Moore's Law isn't broken, they should be able to actually test for primality sometime around the year 2065 or so.

Be sure to contact me on the psychic Internet link to Mars, so I can tell my female clone(shouldn't take many changes to make a female version of me) the good news.

And, yes, I'm both bored and very loony. lol

(Another) record probable prime

I don't really wish (oh yes I do!) to cheer my own achievements (well, my computer's acheivements), but!

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=11425

In summary, with a stupid amount of luck, we've eliminated the second of five sequences for the Dual Sierpinski Conjecture Huge huge thanks to the sievers, and especially engracio who has been flying through the sieving!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Moore
    (paraphrased) 2^2249255+28433 is a probable prime, and at 677,094 digits, would take about 3 billion years at current technology to verify prime.

<cue the happy dance>

Edit: Digital Parasite: Another data point for your presentation about deterministic primality testing? <grins>