Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 7 - you going to switch?

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Windows 7 / Vista gets Thumbs down here

I have ONE and only 1 XP-SP1 machine... which is required due to driver support.... Otherwise what I have is Win/2k in Virtualbox (which is faster than can believe) or a dual boot. It's faster on Fedora-8 AMD64 virtualization then native.... Figure that one out.

Only MS can take the FreeBSD Unix kernel and hack it up to the point where it is both unusable and unrecognizable. Yet MAC's have the same kernel (plus a few 'Mac adjustments') and it works on even an X86 machine. So where is the Mac G6 / G7 ???? it's long overdue... like 4 years worth!!!!

IMHO, were it not for the Apple influence in OSX, we'ld have another MS POS.... Perhaps MS should let go of Apple or just let Apple tell them HOW to write an OS. MS admits that Office is unmaintainable.

Also IMHO, MS is getting so desperate with the Linux threat (that they have known is coming for HOW MANY YEARS?) and STILL can't do it right? Vista was BSD Unix with their GUI, and they still missed the boat.

Respectfully to all involved... If I were to see the ROCK-SOLID W/2K revitalized with up to date drivers and NO GUI changes, we might have something. All that is needed is the NT V5 (or was it V4) kernel extensions which MS refused to install in W/2k and keep the GUI as it is, we would be fine. Dave Cutler and gang knew what they were doing.

XP has its uses.... but I believe that's only because of drivers/mobo/cpu support... Let's put that into 2k and we'll be better off than ever.....

Now, tell that to MS????? Right.... I bet they still have Linux / Unix servers at the heart of their infrastructure.

So who at MS is suffering from ???

Sounds like we do have a concensus here.... W/XP drivers/mobo/cpu support ported back to 2K.

What I would like to hear is how 2K8 in 64 bit mode stacks up against XP, Vista, Linux, and especially 2K. Most importantly... Given 2K8 is 2K-like..... (as I am told... but ask to be corrected as need be)... is it really worth it and is it truly 64 bit native and not a CPU pig?

I hear it's fast, clean and does what we apparantly need/want.... Could that be why MS is advertising specials on '..A server in the house ? ' ???

I'm done with my 2 cents and , but with them being , they certainly need a good and.

C.

EDIT: Anyone in favor of a REAL OS.... get Linux (yes even Fedora FC-8... NOT 9 or 10) and you will have a stable machine with real gui and CONTROL over what you want. I don't know how many people think my plain FC-8 (gnome) is 'Vista or XP on steroids'.... That says a lot, doesn't it? (I've been using Linux/Unix since 1983 if that means anything).

FINAL edit: Word I am told from my EU friends is that Linux is HOW they are beating us... Is that worth considering?
    Last edited by Chuck; 01-14-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Edit clause. + final edit

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Blog Entries

Boinc upgrade / install on my machine

Bok and all,
    When I found 6.2.15 was x86_64 mode, I installed it from Berkeley. It has since been released as packaged boinc-client and boinc-manager... and BOY are they stable. There wasn't a blink at all.

As for displays + audio + drives, etc... it all auto configured and I just 'tweaked' a few settings to my preferences, but the default install was 100% usable! I have dual 21's for displays (DVI-A) and have had FF since day 1.

My XP sits idle... this is a Linux house with 2K in VirtualBox and THAT is how i stole Eon from Lauren that one day.... a meer 17 Ghz of cpu power on Linux.

Let's do the Linux switch.... can we ? The government is!!!

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Installed. Got Firefox installed and itunes busy importing my library now (which is on a separate machine).

BOINC 6.6.0 X86_64 is installed and it picked right up from my backup of the program_data directory.

Seems just fine so far, no problems. It autoconfigured my dual 22" display at 1680X1050 (each) which I thought would be the biggest pain.

So far, so good.
    Last edited by Chuck; 01-14-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: /me zips lip now.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Chuck,

I'm a linux admin (and solaris/AIX/Dynix etc in past lives for that matter), but I'm all for whatever fits the needs If it weren't for windows, then probably 90% of people would not be using PC's. I see that and accept it, no issue..

As for my win 7 experience so far, only problem I've found up to now is that the screensaver/monitor shutdow refuses to happen for some reason. I'm having to manually switch off my two monitors. Minor I guess, I'll work on it tomorrow.

Oh, and Putty Connection Manager didn't install correctly :P (again, minor - probably because it needs .NET and didn't figure out it wasn't installed)

And I, personally, much prefer CentOS to Fedora any day, though I happen to know quite a few people at RedHat which is after all, just up the road from me

Bok

Blog Entries

Thank you

Bok,
    Thank you... you point out an interesting aspect... Windows is what made PC's popular. I will agree to that whole heartedly. I have not had the liberty to try CentOS, therefore having been a Redhat user since the late 90's, and Sun before that (since 82) and Honeywell/Data General before that. I will admit I probably am biased to some degree as I know what to expect and how to handle issues before they become issues. But, having Linux NOT find a device driver has not occured on ANY of my boards.
    I have heard at LOT about CentOS (all good) , just as I have experienced some nightmares with Gentoo.
    So your point is well taken and I should strive to be 100% objective and give it a try as well as the others.
    I do have first hand experience with Vista. I was quite disappointed even after Updates were applied. A well known manufacturer included Vista as their 'preload' on the laptop. The laptop was loaded with max RAM. It was not a low end machine (4GB DDR2). They ended up offering XP 'downgrade' to which I had this particular laptop converted. It's now running quite well. The laptop is 4 months old.

My experience with Fedora, since both the 'Redhat' days of 1999 on P-III's and K6-2s , through FC-5 and now on FC-8 has been a positive one, without incident, until the recent key-issue at the Redhat facility. I did try FC-9 and was quite disappointed when using X86_64 mode. The issue there is simply logistics. Not enough people to shake out any potential issues before it is declared Karma 4 and/or released as beta/production/whatever.

Since the key incident, the updates have been on track and new keys are updated into the repositories as required with the software updates. My 6.2.15 install of the Fedora packages was flawless.

In the end, I do agree and I cannot argue with in any way....whatever gets the job done.

I would like to see us, (meaning the US) have a stronger Linux base, but perhaps I am asking for too much too soon.

Regardless of 'best choice OS', I hope things work out and all this horsepower which we have at our disposal can be fully utilized.

If I seemed too Anti-MS and too Pro-Linux, I apologize. It is a problem I deal with almost daily. My current task is to complete the transition from an MS base in my work world to a Linux base (a huge task). I may indeed, and ask you to please forgive, any overzealous desire to see a unified community at some level.

With great thanks
    C

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    yes Windows is popular but IF we could port DirectX to linux I believe that most if not all the games would run as they simply make calls to the DirectX framework, okay maybe a few minor changes involved probably end up with smaller code, I wonder if the MAC version of the game I play would work in Linux... if so they it would prove it's possible...

What has happened is MS has lost it's focus, where it used to be way back when, all it sees now is $$$$ signs and it's big enough to get away with it.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    What has happened is MS has lost it's focus, where it used to be way back when, all it sees now is $$$$ signs and it's big enough to get away with it.
    Happens with every successful company... even mine... how to bring new shiny features to conquer new markets to make more profit instead of taking care of the quality... I hate it...

<-- BTW: nice new icon I discovered
    the-mk

Those of you running Win7, how much HD space is it now consuming? I have freshly installed Vista 64 setup, SP1 applied and a few programs installed (Excel, Powerpoint and Word 2007), GIMP and Kaspersky AV and it is eating 22GB of space!

To put this into perspective, all my docs, tunes and photos are on another drive. Hibernation is turned off (so no hibernation file), system restore is turned off and all SP1 temp files were cleaned up as well as all the other temp files. 22GB is ALOT of space for what I feel is a minimal install.

On checking with a disk manager, my pagefile.sys is 4.3Gb and c:\Windows\ is 16Gb with a folder named winsxs @ 8.97Gb....bloated is an understatement!

EDIT: I just rebooted into Ubuntu 8.1 x64. I have similar software installed - GIMP, OpenOffice etc and it's only using 2.7GB. I do have a 4.5Gb swap partition however on another drive. Still, that just shows that it CAN be done and the funny thing is, this linux install is way, way faster than the Vista 64 install on the same hardware.
    Last edited by TheOtherPhil; 01-15-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    Train hard, fight easy

For those of you installing the Beta Windows 7, you should pay attention to the fine print of EULA...
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5130902/giz-exp...eta-fine-print

Blog Entries

Question Mac -> Linux

Gopher,
    Yes, the DirectX api would be nice as it would make the game developers FLOCK to linux. The normal port from Windows -> X-win is difficult given the two APIs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other.

As for MAC (unix) -> Linux, It's not as difficult UNLESS they are using proprietary MAC 'tweaks'. Otherwise the X-win API is the same (unless they modified the Xserver as well in the last rev or 2, which I doubt)

We have done basic Mac <-> Linux 64 bit apps 100% and except for the GTK toolkit, everything is fine... MAC's version of GTK is more robust and outright gorgeous, but look at their desktop.... it makes Gnome or KDE look like Win 3.1 LOL . (Look at BT support for BT client 'Transmission' as a currently active project supporting both MAC and Linux.... transmissionbt.org or transmissionbt.com. Linux is lean & mean, Mac's is a work of art. But, point being, it's the same core code and same core UI. All source IS available and users are invited to compile/build on their machines for optimum performance. I believe this would give us a VERY fair measure of what we are looking at in comparing the Win 7 vs OS X vs Linux 'bloat flactors' and porting issues.

I will ask a few 'die-hard' Mac engineers about the DirectX emulation / crossover -> MAC and/or Linux and see what their experiences have been. Personally I see only a licensing / copyright issue as the show-stopper... Anyone with experience PLEASE jump in here.... I would VERY much like to know more details but as I undestand it, Computational tasks are a snap, Device driver depending apps (aka GPU) are one level tougher, and finally, the real-time Gaming world is the toughest.... However, I do wonder what the CUDA standards will do for all of this. Info *IS* invited.

Anyone who has intimate knowledge of the different GTK versions, please also speak up... I believe that is where the issues are / will be.

I am departing TDY and will be offline as of about 1400GMT Fri (tomorrow as I write this)

I will catch you all upon arrival and successful setup with the wifi network. Please forgive my reply delays.

With thanks,
    Catch you in a few days.
    C.

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    yes Windows is popular but IF we could port DirectX to linux I believe that most if not all the games would run as they simply make calls to the DirectX framework, okay maybe a few minor changes involved probably end up with smaller code, I wonder if the MAC version of the game I play would work in Linux... if so they it would prove it's possible...

Well I tried the beta on my netbook and can conclusively say that it isn't ready for the slow SSDs in most modern netbooks. It was much slower than XP and practically unusable, plus installation from an 8GB SDHC took forever.

IB: scary, I'm glad I didn't use it for long.

Well I had the choice to go back to XP but since I had just formatted my drives for W7, I've now gone with Ubuntu 8.10 which installed (from the same SDHC as previously mentioned) in a matter of minutes, though it looks like I have a little tweaking to do to get the wifi to work, but that's off topic in this thread.

Blog Entries
    TheOtherPhil check MSOCache - it takes 700M also. msoffice temporary files.

once I delete it, because it's TEMPORARY, but hell no, excel shortcut at START - programs use icon from msocache. so every office program lost it's icon. what a fkup.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    TheOtherPhil check MSOCache - it takes 700M also. msoffice temporary files.

once I delete it, because it's TEMPORARY, but hell no, excel shortcut at START - programs use icon from msocache. so every office program lost it's icon. what a fkup.
    No that's standard M$ crap for you, load everything in to ram, cache some of it to disc for fast(er) loading..
    I do know there are some files in the "temp" folder that are in use always depending on what your running, PITA really..

This is a pretty slick add-on for

• Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Windows Vista, or Windows Vista x64.
    • 800 Mhz CPU.
    • 256 MB RAM.
    • 16 MB DirectX 8.1 compatible video card *.

I like it

http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/

You can also add an Everest Ultimate sidebar/widget thing if your interested in that sort of thing.
    I thought it got old rather quick, but did have a cool factor for a few minutes.

Blog Entries
    I've gt a very annoying problem with my windows 7 install. For some reason, the screensaver will not come on, or the switch monitor off (more important). I'm having to manually switch off both of my monitors when I leave the PC.

I have no idea how to debug it and haven't found anything that helps..

Somebody wrote a program that does it...
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...=post&id=55509

Does it identify your monitor correctly?

Blog Entries
    it just sees it as plug'n'play, but I tried downloading and installing the viewsonic drivers and they were the same anyway.

I'll try that link. Thanks.

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    What I would like to hear is how 2K8 in 64 bit mode stacks up against XP, Vista, Linux, and especially 2K. Most importantly... Given 2K8 is 2K-like..... (as I am told... but ask to be corrected as need be)... is it really worth it and is it truly 64 bit native and not a CPU pig?

I hear it's fast, clean and does what we apparantly need/want.... Could that be why MS is advertising specials on '..A server in the house ? ' ???
    I have never used Win 2K8 but it and Vista 64bit use the same identical kernel which probably explains why Vista 64bit is so rock solid for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    And I, personally, much prefer CentOS to Fedora any day, though I happen to know quite a few people at RedHat which is after all, just up the road from me
    CentOS is just a re-packaged RedHat OS so how could you like it *more*? I mean yum points to a different repository by default but... Or do you mean you like the RHEL/CentOS 5 versions than the more cutting-edge Fedora 10?

I know what you mean, I have CentOS 5.x as my server as home, I play with Fedora at work which can be useful when you need the latest stuff, but not as stable and generally more problems.

Blog Entries
    yes, that's exactly what I mean..

CentOS 5.2 is required for the P45 chipset to be recognized 'out of the box' ...
    don't ask...

Vista 64 bit is stable, pretty darn fast to, if you bother to tweak it so that
    1) it doesn't choke on local area network because of auto-discovery/compresssion thing.
    2) disable UAC immediately
    3) Buy all the latest and greatest computer components if you enjoy plug n pray
    4) It appears to bog down now and again, but figures itself out and does well again.

My new Vista 64 Ultimate - game box

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
    ASUS ENGTX295/2DI/1792MD3/A GeForce GTX 295 1792MB Video Card
    Cooler Master RC-932-KKN1-GP HAF 932 Chassis - 12 Bays - Black

Go into BIOS,
    turn off SpeedStep
    Change timing from AUTO to Manual
    Set BCLK to 177 (front side bus)

Change cpu volts from 1.3 to 1.2
    Save settings, reboot

8 cpu Cores running at 3.5GHz

Nice new box IronBits. When you say 8 cores, do you actually have two i7 920s installed or do you mean 4 real cores and 4 hyper-threaded cores?

Besides games, how does your i7 compare for DC-type work compared to your previous box which was a 45nm Core2 quad right?

Yeah whole point of vista - make you buy new hardware anything brought out 6months before it was realised should be okay after that it's back to win 95 mode with it's PnP "prayness"

Yes, 4 real cores with HT turned on, SpeedStep turned off.
    8 cores vs 2 cores with an E8500, 3.5GHz (overclocked from 2.6GHz) vs 3.1GHz, it does a lot more crunch work.

Blog Entries

Arrow Challenge

Gang,

First, all is fine... I'm on travel.

Second: Re Windows 7, I have a question / challenge.

a) Can you run/config ANY x86_64 Linux to come up and jump
    direct into Virtualbox.... OR .... MULTIPLE VirtualBox clients
    concurrently on the same machine?

b) Has anyone tried Windows 7 (in any mode) in VirtualBox (Sun xVM).

c) If 'b' above... Can you enable passthrough in the settings and
    ACTUALLY switch into Windows 7 and run the CD/DVD burner?

I have REAL not for the person

who can demonstrate it / tell me how to do it.

Please PM me or post/discuss issues here.

Thought is simple...

Upgrade from RHEL5 -> FC-8 X86_64 + Vbox + Win 7.

If not doable as Win 7... XP is a given fact, true ?

Comments, suggestions and DINNER (REAL KIND) to the one
    who pulls it off.

With thanks,
    C.

Blog Entries
    I'd read about it installing under vmware just fine.

Quick google search shows a number of hits on it installing under virtualbox on linux, so I don't sew why not.. have you tried it ?

http://vmetc.com/2009/01/20/windows-...on-ubuntu-810/

Bok

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Bok,
    Thanks for verification. There are issues, but this verifies what is known and we have things working.... I am, as always, pushing the envelope. With Vbox and hence changing the 'stacking' of the Vmware hypervisor + UI -> Linux / Win 7 options....... much was broken....

It's not 100% pretty, but X86_64 or even back to RHEL 5 (32 bit) works.

Seems like a waste of a terribly good CPU (an E8500 ????) that's a heck of a waste in 32 bit, but if I remember correctly... that's a quad core... so FOUR Virtualboxen should be runnable OR an 'honest' VMware which presents all cores to Win 7 should do the trick.

I will update and seems as if I will be on travel to visit and bring Bok some dinner or let him select his choice.

First, I have to go play.....errrrrrrrrrrrrr... TEST.... <cough> and make sure all is well. You all will like it when done.....

With great thanks,
    C.

PS: I can be PM'd with questions / comments. They are welcome.

Thumbs up Switching to Windows 7 as soon as I can

YES, I am going to switch, while some flame MS, I seem to not have much trouble, Vista was problematic

I am running Win 7 Beta it is GREAT. I am running an old win 95/98 program and hardware that would not run under XP or Vista. USWest PC Caller ID.

it is running GREAT, all features work great and the OS is running Boinc with WorldCommunityGrid, and QCN.

This is an old VAIO with 1.7gh Processor 768 of RAM using a PCI USB 2.0 add on card with a 2Gb ReadyBoost thumb drive.

I leave it on 24/7 without a hitch

YES it is working GREAT

The interface was cumbersome untill I became used to it (like all new things)

So when Windows 7 RC comes out it is going on not only this system but also my other(s).

GREAT JOB Microsoft with WINDOWS 7

Jones

The question 'am i going to switch' is moot for me, i already did.
    I haven't had any major issues so far.

It has really grown on me.
    Strange really since i absolutely hate Vista.
    It's almost as though someone took my list of dislikes away and fixed them all.

Good to hear PCZ.

I suppose I could upgrade all my Vista crunchers with it to...

Not sure I'll do the upgrade on my main computer tho.
    A clean install sounds like the best option, and I happen to have a spare 300gb velociraptor.
    Just waiting for the RC to be released next week.

Already using the RC. 7100
    It was up on technet Friday.

I don't have access to that area so I have to wait.

Unless you have a big fat pipe you could put the .iso on, so I can snag it.

Blog Entries

Question Question regarding upgrading....

Gang, Since I just now got Vista 64 bit (home premium) SPx and being a laptop, it is obviously specialized/tuned..... Should I load the stock upgrade when it's available (I do have that option as my license is brand new) or wait for the vendor to do the upgrade and present an upgrade package (with updated drivers, utilities, etc)? The machine has been flawless except for one quirky 32 bit program. This program being quirky does not surprise me in the least. I would rather have the 64 bit version instead. I would also like to ask about the new 'laptop cooler plates'.... My C2D v2 is getting rather warm as I start increasing the load. Adding the load of a GPU task would be a lot of heat (9800M GT) I would like to sit in my big chair, on wifi (N) and not have to worry about the laptop overheating. (it does get pretty warm when both cores are running LLR as it all exits from one location with many small inlet slots along the bottom. The Mfgr says to keep it on a flat surface (and now i understand why) and I agree... so what about the cooler 'slab' and the upgrade to Longhorn ?

Thanks in advance,
    C.
    Last edited by Chuck; 05-02-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo

Mixed review of XP Mode in Windows 7
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05...p_mode_review/

XP mode is there to help corporates transition over to W7.
    There are a few custom stone age apps that need it.

It is not meant to be a fully featured high performance XP.

I am impressed with it, feels very slick when compared with Vista on the same box, not that far behind XP either.

Your all just stick in the muds

Windows 7 Release Candidate: Download instructions

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to choose your language and 32bit or 64bit version.
    Will not upgrade an XP loaded PC, needs to be clean install.
    There is no 'XP or Vista Classic Look' in this release, and probably gone forever.
    I did find a 3rd party vendor that does a bang up job to replace the whole menu system, but I lost the link, so you will need to search for it if you want something besides what Win7 offers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Welcome to Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) testing. We're on our way to Windows 7, and if you like trying out pre-release software, now’s your chance. You get to see what's coming, and we get to see if our changes and fixes from the Beta testing are working correctly.

How do you test the software? You put it on your PC, and then do what you'd normally do. Your PC will automatically and anonymously send our engineers the information they need to verify the fixes and changes they made based on the Windows 7 Beta tests.

Crazy Old Man
    As i stated on the inquirer Vista had its issues and the new Vista2.1, Vista sp3 or Win7 or whatever someone wanna name this new vista clone.
    When i tried some games which where an big issue on vista beautifull bleu screens i found them crashing win 7 as hard as the good old m$ failure.
    Mind u it is a better version and has some really nice handy toys, but again as long as M$ is not fixing the 2 1/2 year old problems with games like cabal/L2 and more this os is as big a failure as it was then.
    Now for linux its the same old story as i have earlier posted on linux developers forums, its too complex when something fails
    Yes they made it easy to install and yes some things work fine on it, but still for most people its a disaster they don't want to edit files and do this or that to fix a program.
    They want it run out of the box and to be honest i do as well, allthough i am more then capable of fixing these issues myself.
    I don't want to fix them i want it to be fixed .... (me seriously lazy)
    And yes have you seen any great game come out other then Doom3 for linux i certainly did not.
    There are almost no games which i like and especially not that nice as CnC or FEAR if thats gonna be released in the near future on linux ill make the step in a few minutes.
    But untill that happens prolly never i am stuck with win XP
    I have been running win 7 on Vbox and Vmware x86 and x64 and and lol together
    But i have a good machine with 8 Gb mem

Blog Entries

--- about editing all those 'files'.

If I may add one thing not many of the new linux fans know of is that during the install (and I *AGREE* this should be changed to *DEFAULT* load status) is the ability to load the GUI tools for system admin (aka windows control panel).

When I opt to make the manual selection during load to 'customize it now', I can add the GUI controls for everything.

So, given XP/XP-64, Vista (broken up BSD), or a true linux with a hypervisored (VM'd) 2k or 2k8, I will pick the linux with a hypervisored M$ product in a window for 'toy' compatibility... BUT, I agree whole heartedly that if Linux REALLY wanted to take a bigger chunk out of the M$ market, they would configure the DEFAULT load to include ALL the system admin GUI tools... that would take care of just about anything. We all know that *sometimes* even in M$ products we have to use regedit or msconfig. Those are the breaks for us who push the limits and I think are totally acceptable.

As for Vista... yes, its time is already over.... and what about Mohave/Longhorn ? Is already OBE before it even ships? Sounds like it is. Is this true?

C.

Comments?
    Last edited by Chuck; 05-10-2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo of 'its'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12