Thread: The NEO Project.

The NEO Project.

Guys, I saw a thread in DC Arcana and went to the site. It seems that there is already a Free-DC team with Supp, Ironbits, Alpha and Mashrinx.

What do you guys think about the project? Is it worthy of our idle processor cycles?

Also, it seems that the people at Ars are a little skeptical regarding this project. I was just wondering.

Any thoughts, oh Gods of DC
    Last edited by PY 222; 10-15-2002 at 03:12 AM.

I've noticed that ppl from Ars (Larry L) are quite sceptical about everything and concerned about Ars being spread too thinly and ....

NEO's still beta, so don't expect that everything'll be all right. Client's too little aggressive in using cpu - I set 100%CPU usage and it takes sweet time (3-6 sec) to fully occupy CPU (after you end some cpu-intensive task).

I you want something more from client/web, write author - he wants to hear you.
    rm -Rf /

Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It Tax Bracket's Avatar
    Anyone got the URL for this project ?

Originally posted by Tax Bracket
    Anyone got the URL for this project ?

http://www.theneoproject.com/

I only did it for a short while, less than a day, so I could join Supp and keep him company
    I'm still re-paying the ECCp project for all their help on DF. I figure the project is almost over, so will stick with ECCp until it finishes.
    Besides, Condor wants a piece of me over there to

Wink

Hey now IB, I can't have you bad mouthing me in the lobby too!

I not coming after you, just making sure you aren't slacking too much.

I only let the client run long enough to finish a couple of blocks. Nothing special really - as Supp said, its still beta. I may take another look as it progresses, but for now it seems a little kludgy and primitive (not to mention the glamorous stats ).

Also, each block/WU is TINY on any half-modern machine.
    Last edited by alpha; 10-15-2002 at 12:04 PM.

Originally posted by Condor
    Hey now IB, I can't have you bad mouthing me in the lobby too!
    I not coming after you, just making sure you aren't slacking too much.
    You certainly are
    No rest for the wicked

Hmmm... interesting.

Well looks like the Neo Project is still not ready to go prime time, judging from what have been said regarding it.

No biggie, there are more than enough projects for my measly 4 computers

Keep on crunching people

A user from Australia and I have been working along side with Mike on getting this project up and going quickly. Mike is very determined to make this a great DC project. He has been taking our suggestions and continiously making improvments to the client. I believe we ended up with 3 or 4 new clients just over the period of 6 hours last night. The user now has a lot better control over the processor usage. You now have 3 choices....Idle, Normal, High Priority and on top of that you have a slide bar to specify what percentage of the Idle processor you would like to use. Stats are now live and Free-DC is now number 12 There will probably be some more client updates tonight as there are a few more issues we have found with the client, but they are small fixes. The current client seems rather stable and working great. A Linux client has been put on higher priority since I brought up the fact that we can crunch Neo on our Xbox once he gets it's ready. He's excited so the expected January 2003 date for a linux client will most likely be pushed forward quite a bit.

The best way to get the latest client isn't from the webpage. You first need to download/install the client from the webpage. Once you get that, use this url to get the latest client:
    ftp://neoftp01.redirectme.net/
    Basicaly you just download the neo.ex_ and overwrite your current neo.exe file with the neo.ex_. I hope to see more interest in this project from Free-DC in the near future.

BTW optimized clients for AMD, Intel, and 64-Bit processors are in the planning....

Great

Thanks for your input magnav0x.

My guess that there isn't a huge deployment over at the Neo project is because its still in a development and like you have said, there is constantly an updated client.

When the project gets more mature and if Free-DC decides to kick a$$ in the Neo project, you can bet that my mini pharm will be there also.

BTW, the client hit it's RC-1 stage today and the official release date for the final client is November 1st, 2002. All data that is being crunch during this crucial beta stage is live data. So this project is not crunching usless data during beta development. As for all the recent clients that have been comming out....only the major new releases are being released to the general public. The url I gave above is just were to get the client with the recent fixes he's added to the latest stable version.

Ahhh, come on guys, ExtremeDC is talking trash and walking away from everyone on this project!

More like running away
    Incredible numbers!

Yeah just so happens the top 7 producers in the project are all on the Extreme DC team.

...just slid into the 11th posistion...not far from putting us into the top 10....some one loan the Neo project 24 hours of work from any type of computer My celeron 450 box's power supply went down under yesterday

My clients say they can't contact a Neo Server
    I have alot of WUs in the que to send back...

Ironbits....try d/l the latest version of Neo? You can get it from their website or just download the client only from my webserver. http://www.erdt-dfw.com/neo/neo.rar (84kb download).

nm, I was just informed that they had server probs earlier today and may be putting up a new server tonight.

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Think you all could convince him to make a stats file that is just a plain text, one for all the teams, and then one for each of the teams as well? I might be able to throw you all some quick stats together, that should load up a *bit* faster than the DPC stats

I can do it the way it is, but a straight text file would drop the server load a bit for them

I'd like to see some work unit cacheing myself.
    I spend 1/2 my time sending and waiting for work from the server at times.

IronBits, post your suggestion in Neo's forums. Darkness Productions, I'll talk to Mike tonight and see about getting that done....I've been on his back about it for a while now.

I'd love to Magnav0x, but it won't let me register so I can
    Each time I try to register, I fill in all the blanks and click Send, and comes back and says I have to fill in all the blanks
    Feel free to pass it on for me

What took you so long?

New client just uploaded IB. You need to DL it...they changed ports due to changing the server out. They are changing out servers, so you won't be able to upload your WU's right away.

Ironbits, what you may want to do is set the client to not automaticaly connect tot he internet, then just upload the packets whenever. That would give it more crunch time and less transition time between each WU...

Excellent idea
    Thanks Magnav0x
    I'm running RC2, downloaded this afternoon.
    Are you saying I need to do it again?
    Date/Time on Neo.exe 10/28/2002 10:15PM

.399 is the latest client.....Just upped my Duron another 50 mhz to try to get us some extra units/per day done. My duron is now at 1100mhz completing a WU in 4 mins...my P4 1.6 is completing in 2mins....

IB you'll be glad to know, unit caching will be put into the final client on November 1st Then we won't have to manualy update our WU's. I set mine to not connect, so my WU's probably won't appear until around 8am CST when I wake up :sleepy:

======================================
    Update on TXT stats.....

All Teams' Stats in TXT
    http://neoproject.redirectme.net:8080/xteaminfo.asp

All Users' Stats in TXT
    http://neoproject.redirectme.net:8080/xuserinfo.asp

Free-DC Users' in TXT:
    http://neoproject.redirectme.net:808...p?team=free-dc
    Last edited by magnav0x; 10-29-2002 at 01:17 AM.

1,MAGNAV0X,FREE-DC,3077,0.03
    2,IRONBITS,FREE-DC,466,0
    /me waves to everyone as he launches into the top 100
    3,SUPP,FREE-DC,313,0
    4,ALPHA,FREE-DC,63,0
    5,ANGUS,FREE-DC,26,0
    6,BELLBOX,FREE-DC,4,0
    7,MASHRINX,FREE-DC,0,0
    8,CHRISTIAN WIRTH,FREE-DC,0,0
    Good news on the cache abilities starting this Friday.

Would someone that is registered on the Neo Forum please inform them that I can not register please?
    Everytime I try, filling out the blanks and clicking on submit, I get the error message that I must fill in all the fields. I fill in the password fields, which are now empty, and get the same error message.

What is the format of the .TXT file?
    Another words, what Fields go with what data?
    How do you READ it?

Name Team WU' CPUyears

20,magnav0x@erdt-dfw.com,MAGNAV0X,FREE-DC,3164,20021012,20021029,1407,0.03,1.0.399

Hrmm....

e-mail, name, team, wu's, date of first wu submitted?, date last wu submitted", ???no earthly idea???, cpu years, client version last submited from

Originally posted by magnav0x
    Name Team WU' CPUyears

20,magnav0x@erdt-dfw.com,MAGNAV0X,FREE-DC,3164,20021012,20021029,1407,0.03,1.0.399

Hrmm....

e-mail, name, team, wu's, date of first wu submitted?, date last wu submitted", ???no earthly idea???, cpu years, client version last submited from
    They should DROP the EMAIL from that listing... I get enough SPAM
    I see
    Rank, Email, Nickname, Team, WUs, date started, date last, current WUs completed today, CPU Years, Version
    I think that covers it DP, now get busy

I don't think the 1407 is WU's completed today, because I've not been able to get WU's uploaded since about 10 or 11pm CST. Which is driving me nuts, I want to get these things uploaded alrady! ARG!

Mike said the servers are up, it's just that they are being hammered so bad, people are having a hard time getting through, so they are adding an additional 2 servers tonight to help lighten the load.

BTW, I sent the message board guy a PM regarding your registration...I told him he should have used PHPBB or something else, lol.
    Last edited by magnav0x; 10-29-2002 at 03:49 PM.