Thread: Maybe a new cruncher...

Maybe a new cruncher...

Okay...sooo, I'm kind of tossing around the idea of building a new cruncher. I'm not really interested in it being my new main system as my current one is still working just fine for me.

I'm wayyyyyy out of the hardware loop, and the guy I know that's in it is almost strictly into building hardcore gamer systems.

If I take $1000 and put it towards a new bare-bones cruncher, what would I have to buy to get it up and running right?

My only requirements are:
    1. Cost doesn't exceed $1000
    2. It -MUST- have at least 1 CUDA capable card.

Links to parts would be much appreciated since I really am trying to budget for this. If you think I can get a good system rolling for less, even better!

-Moose
    Distributed Hold'em

NewEgg

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115202
    ($294.99 ea)

Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready - Retail
    Item #: N82E16835702007
    ($59.99 ea)

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK - Retail
    Item #: N82E16820231230
    ($144.99 ea)

MSI X58 Platinum SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Item #: N82E16813130220
    ($234.99 ea)

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
    Item #: N82E16817139005
    ($99.99 ea)

NVIDIA, from low to high in price and performance

9600 GSO
    9800 GT
    GTX 260
    GTX 285

Thanks IB!

Just out of curiosity, Newegg had 3 cards listed as GTX 295's. Are they not CUDA or just not supported by a project? And since when has a system needed 6GB's of RAM?! I'm all for it (kind of drooling), but wow...
    Distributed Hold'em

GTX 295 is a dual card, works great for games in Sly, under Vista or XP.
    Under Vista, you won't see TWO CUDA devices... long story, short version
    you would have to plug something into the HDMI port or
    use HDMI > DVI or adapter and plug in monitor
    use HDM > DVI > VGA adapters and plug in monitor to extend the desktop or
    use HDM > DVI > VGA > VGA dummy plug and extend the desktop
    6GB is nice if you plan on using Vista 64 or XP 64...
    I have 12GB in my game box with GTX295 and Boinc running 24/7, but CUDA only finds one CUDA device.
    If I were to move it to an XP computer and disable SLI, I think it might find 2 CUDA, but want it for gaming more than a CUDA device

two GTX285s would be the way to go if you want both CUDA and SLI capability when you need it.
    They run cooler and take less power

I'm not sure if I'd be installing Windows at all. I was thinking about dipping into Linux. Would you suggest I go with one of the Windows 64-bit OSes?

With the specs on the system you provided, it almost looks like I might as well have it be my new system. *sigh*
    Distributed Hold'em

Go with 64bit OS of your choice. Ubunto seems to be a popular choice these days...
    Winders 7 is around the corner... /shrugs
    As for being your primary system, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Well I found a lil' treasure digging through my boxes of PC parts that I forgot I had.

I found a WinXP Pro x64 Edition CD w/ key (unused). The disc is back from when I went to IUPUI, and when you bought WinXP Pro 32-bit, you got a free copy of x64 because they were trying to push the transition.

I have a question about it though, and I'm going to rattle off some of the stuff on the CD. The CD says this on it:

MS Windows XP Pro x64 Edition
    Servers
    Student Media/Work at Home Media

What I'm wondering is, how many times can I use the product ket? I can't remember if 1 key = 1 PC or if I'm allowed a certain number of PCs per key? Like I said, it's never been used before, but if I do get this new rig I was hoping to be able to maybe be able to use it more than once if I decide on making another.

Thanks guys,
    -Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

one license per pc

Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    one license per pc
    Just to clarify, only one active instance of the OS can exist per product key. So if you're crunching on a box and the hard drive dies, you can reinstall because the old installation won't ever be used again. Now if you have two instances of the OS running simultaneously on different computers, you need a different product key for each one.

Student licences can install on many machines normally. Retail licence won't. Corporate is dependent on conditions license was purchased under. Doesn't matter what disk you got, it can be used by changing some details and then using the license key you bought or were given. I have both student and corporate and multi install of as many copies as I want.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Might be possible as long as you can make sure it "don't phone home"
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

I got standard issue Student copy at college (2002) and it installed across 10 different machines. Like Corporate, doesn't phone home and no activation. Just a setting on cd to tell which install it is, easy to copy and alter if you lose disk and have access to another one. That was what a M$ guy told me after I complained about replacement cost of shattered disk and non replacement policy of a freebie Corp disk. Details if you need them. Eyes only
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat