Thread: Some Help With a Stats Test

Lightbulb Some Help With a Stats Test

OK, I'm now trying to decide whether I want ot dynamically build pages on request, or build them once per hour and serve them as statics.

So...here's the deal. I've tossed together a very simple, basic team stats page. I need some of you to use it for the next several days and give me some feedback on how it performs.

I'll be monitoring load times and stuff on my end, but I'll still be interesting in whether it *seems* fast enough or not to you guys.

To ensure that we're mostly testing the build time from the database and not the download speed, this page is all text with no extra frills, which means that all of the 'additional' info which uses JS and DHTML to display is currently disabled.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. You can reach it here:

Arachnid Stats Performance Test at ZE

I've also posted a quickie page showing team movement. If any of you guys who move around a lot want to test this and make sure that it's working correctly, feel free. Just make sure you come home when you're done hopping around.

It can be found here:

Arachnid User Movement Tracking Table (Temporary) at ZE

(IronBits: Posting this last thing was mostly for you. I usually don't like having 'work in progress' stuff available. )

Links Updated to New Locations

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but for me, this stats table is noticeably faster to load than the old page. Even being dynamic, it still takes a lot less time.

Out of curiosity, is this time delay (there is still some, it's just a lot less) from packets taking a while to get to you, or some other reason? Where's the zerothelement server at?

it is plenty fast right now
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Seems good to me. I do have a request for these stats tho. Can we get a page that doesn't have all the frills of the DHTML stuff as well as the normal page? Occasionally, I'm on a dialup, and the DHTML makes the page take a good while to load.

TIA

It was fast enough for me, with my crappy Australian dialup...

and I love the idea of Dynamic.. I was really frustrated when I make a dump and have to wait till the next hour to see if register...

Instant gratification is where its at

I think a No Frills page would be nice..

Re: Some Help With a Stats Test

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    (IronBits: Posting this last thing was mostly for you. I usually don't like having 'work in progress' stuff available. )
    I feel the warmth

HahahahaHAHAHAHAhaha!

No more, please! It hurts!

bwkaz: The speed difference you're seeing is most likely because of page size. These pages are *much* smaller than the old ones because they have no graphics, no style sheets, and no javascript or extra information. However, I was worried about the extra time that doing the database queries would take. So far, that doesn't seem to be an issue, but we'll see as it gets more load from more users.

The server itself is hosted over a cable line at the moment, so you are seeing some speed cap there, too. It's about 450kb/sec upload. Depending on how things go, I may move it to a full T1 or a DS3, I haven't decided yet.

DP: Unfortunately, I think you've misinterpreted the meaning of 'dynamic' in this case. The data is still only updated once per hour. I may make that once every 30 minutes in the future, but I wouldn't count on it. The dynamic part is where the page doesn't actually exist before you ask for it. The script that you are calling builds it on the fly from the database.

On a more positive note, I'll be adding mod_gzip support for compression and there will be a no graphics, no JS/DHTML version much like you are seeing now. You should check out how the current pages look in lynx (Linux text only browsers)...they're perfect and fast.

IronBits: I knew you would.

OK... am I not understanding what you're doing then? Were you looking for our experience of the speed of the new setup, or just the load on your server? I was under the impression you were looking for both, though I could easily be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last...

Heh, your answer was precisely what I was looking for.

To clarify, the two things I'm looking at right now are database access speed (which I'm benchmarking) and how "accessible" it is hosted where it is (network lag, bandwith limitations, etc).

If the first part becomes a problem, I'll use hourly rendered static pages like my current setup.

If the second part becomes a problem, I'll move the server to a T1 or DS3 line.

Ok, I loaded both pages to see what the competition was doing.

Or tried to. It is 9:19 PM here in CA, I am using iCab in OS X on dialup. After 5 minutes, neither page has loaded. Both are stalled at zero bytes.

I am assuming that you coded in a specific trap against my taking a peek.
    Get Addicted

LOL!

No, no, nothing like that...none of the good stuff is on these pages anyway.

Actually, I've been making some changes to the hardware itself. I'll probably have it back up in a bit...

I am getting a connection refused error in mozilla, firing up IE. (bleh)

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I posted it to Slashdot - maybe that's reason? :bs:

j/k
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Ah, I added compression support last night, but overwrote the server's config file in the process. It wasn't listening on port 10000 anymore.

It's fixed, now. Sorry about that. On the plus side, if your browser can handle compression it should come much faster now.

Here are two new links in what will become their permanent location. These pages use a faster set of search queries and include some basic benchmarking info at the top of the page. If anyone ever sees the wallclock time stray beyond 1 second, post and let me know.

While these pages look the same as the old ones (mostly), they are using the templating engine now, too (albeit with a plain template).

Arachnid Stats Performance Test V2 at ZE

Arachnid User Movement Tracking Table (Temporary) at ZE

works pretty well here
    Pointwood

Dyy, I love the column sorting ability.

So great having full (or close to it) stats. I see a team, I click on them, see a stats column, I click on it. All there and easy to find (and simple).

Dyyryath = Stats Massa

Is there anything this man can't do ??? I think not...

Keep it up!

Alpha_7

Hey Dyyryath, I see your :10000 web server is still running but what is up with your regular zerothelement.com site? It seems to be gone and the default Apache install page listed instead?

Jeff.

Yeah, I'm making some changes to where things are hosted over here. The old stats may just be gone for good, I haven't decided yet. They'll be a real pain in the butt to move to the new system, so I may not bother.

The rest of my site should be up soon, but we'll just have to wait and see about the stats.

On the plus side, I'll have most of the functionality of the old stats enabled in the new stats by the end of the night.

w00t

Pointwood

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    On the plus side, I'll have most of the functionality of the old stats enabled in the new stats by the end of the night. [/B]
    Phfew.... A prolonged lack of your stats might cause me to start doing crazy things like team jumping all over the place.

Doh, I just noticed your new stats are offline now too!

Jeff.
    Last edited by Digital Parasite; 11-05-2002 at 12:38 PM.

See this thread for details about the new stats.