Thread: Getting Started (aka noob questions I haven't found answers for)

Getting Started (aka noob questions I haven't found answers for)

It seems from looking around that there are three types of things that I can be working on to try and help the project. I could be running the SoB client looking for primes, and then it looks like I could be working on Sieving or Factoring.

My first, and main question is; Which of the three tasks is most beneficial to the project, and is that question processor dependent? My computer is getting up there in age, and has a Athelon64 3000+ with 1 GB RAM running Windows XP.

The other question, is what's the difference between factoring and sieving?

As a newcomer to SoB (and distributed computing in general) I think it'd be helpful to have a sticky in the main area of the forum, that is kept up to date, letting new users know where they can be the most help, and if it makes a difference, have a list processor/processor types/OSs, and which kind of work is the most efficient for that type of system.

Thanks,
    Craig

Edit: If we're going to be running SoB, and don't have the time/ability to be helpful with bug fixing, should we be running the Beta (2.5.9?) or just the standard 2.5.0 that comes up on the downloads page?
    Last edited by wolfemancs; 03-17-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: One more question

Welcome, wolfemancs..

Answers to your questions can be found around the forum, but I know it can be tough to find the info you are looking for in all the posts, so I will try to answer them concisely here... (perhaps someone who's been around longer can correct me if any of my answers aren't quite right)

First off, there's a brand new client, which is basically the standard GIMPS client with the config file modified to talk to a SoB server. It isn't on the official download page quite yet, but you can find info about it here. If you are going to do PRP tests, you might as well just start off using the new client. Note that the version number for this is 25.9, which shouldn't be confused with the Beta of the old client which is 2.5.8 - the new client is not based on the old client at all.

In general, the new client is around 10% faster than the old client and it will be doing P-1 tests (factoring) automatically so factoring will no longer be a separate task once n>17.2M.

Regarding what is most beneficial for the project, Sieving is currently the most efficient at removing candidates (especially if you are running a 64-bit OS), however you won't get SoB credit for sieving and you will never find a prime by sieving. I like using the BOINC client with the PrimeGrid's PSP Sieve project, which not only sieves for SoB but also the Prime Sierpinski Project. This is what I usually run on my 64-bit system, and run the SoB client on my 32-bit systems.

Factoring tests a single candidate to try and quickly show it is composite before having to run a much more time-consuming PRP test.

Sieving looks at a large group of numbers and removes many candidates at once. Wikipedia has an easy to understand article on the basic principles of Sieving but I'm not sure how similar or different the algorithm used in our case is compared to the basic sieving algorithm.

So if I'm going to use the new 25.9 client, and I have a 64-bit processor running on 32-bit Windows, do I use the 32 or 64 bit client?

Also, since you said you run SoB on your 32 bit, and Sieving on your 64 bit, will the sieving program be able to make use of the 64 bit processor, or will my 32 bit windows keep me to running at a 32 bit pace?

You are limited by the 32-bit Windows whether you sieve or run SoB tests, so you will want the 32-bit client either way.

First off Thank-you enderak for some fantastic concise answers.
    I cannot give getter answers than those given.

My personal suggestion for the particular cpu would be upgrading to a 64-bit o/s and running the primegrid sieve client.

If not go ahead and run the 32-bit 25.9 client until you decide otherwise for your own reasons. Both are pretty good options and help out the project.

Currently I wouldn't suggest the P-1 due to the learning curve and your available memory.

... and p-1 factoring is soon going to be part of the main project (sorry, terrible wording there, I mean it's part of running the modded prime95/mprime client). (There's a post to that effect in the P-1 factoring reservation thread)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfemancs View Post
    So if I'm going to use the new 25.9 client, and I have a 64-bit processor running on 32-bit Windows, do I use the 32 or 64 bit client?

Also, since you said you run SoB on your 32 bit, and Sieving on your 64 bit, will the sieving program be able to make use of the 64 bit processor, or will my 32 bit windows keep me to running at a 32 bit pace?
    I, too, have a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit processor. I use the 32-bit during the day, but I have 64-bit Ubuntu as well that switch to at night for sieving. There is a very handy application called Wubi that will install Ubuntu as a dual-boot on your computer, allowing you to take advantage of the significant sieving speed improvement offered by a 64-bit OS. To remove it after installing, simply boot into Windows and uninstall Ubuntu like any other program.