Thread: Two workers using three CPUs?

Two workers using three CPUs?

I just switched over to the newest client, 25.11, build 2. I have two worker windows running, and I could have swore that when I first set it up the two workers were was running at 66% capacity max of my tri-core CPU. I want to keep one core untouched by distributed computing at all times, but looking now I see my two worker windows are using 100% of my CPU time. When I shut off the client completely, all that's happening are the background processes at 1-2%, so that narrows the problem to Prime95.

What do I need to adjust to make sure these two worker windows in the client don't use three cores worth of processing power? When I upgraded to 25.11 build 2, I just pasted in the new .exe over the old one, but I get the same result when I paste 25.9, build 4 back in. Using the 32-bit client on Windows XP.

Edit: "CPUs" to use is set for 1 for each core now. Works great, thanks.
    Last edited by Deciheximal; 08-02-2009 at 11:22 PM.

What you want is:
    Number of worker windows to run: 2
    CPUs to use: 1

The total number of cores prime95 uses is the product of these two numbers.
    Make sure when you set this, Worker number is set on All Workers, otherwise you'll only be setting this for 1 of the workers and the other will probably still be set to use two cores.
    (The reason you get the error with CPUs to use set to 2 or 3 is because then it tries to actually use 4 or 6 CPU's, since this setting is for each worker, which is more than the number of cores you have available)