Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW CLIENT for SB

Talking NEW CLIENT for SB

I'm here to help.

Cheers,
    Louie

First, a correction: On the download page in Step 2, "build" is misspelled.

Next, a question: should it say somewhere to put the prime.txt file that's downloaded separately in the same directory as the rest of the prime95 files?

Finally, a comment: the prime.txt file would be considerably easier to read if each setting were on its own line. As it stands, Notepad on my Vista machine displays them all on about three lines, not separated by spaces.

The prime.txt thing is because it's using Unix newlines isntead of DOS - if you open it up in Wordpad or a more advanced text editor than Notepad, it will show up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman42 View Post
    First, a correction: On the download page in Step 2, "build" is misspelled.
    OK, fixed. Thank you very much!

Next, a question: should it say somewhere to put the prime.txt file that's downloaded separately in the same directory as the rest of the prime95 files?
    That's a good idea. I want it to be clear for everyone. Download page updated!

Finally, a comment: the prime.txt file would be considerably easier to read if each setting were on its own line. As it stands, Notepad on my Vista machine displays them all on about three lines, not separated by spaces.
    I had trouble figuring this out at first because the default prime.txt file included in both Windows clients DOES use WINDOWS style line breaks, so anyone editing that file on windows (even with Notepad) will not run into the issue you describe.

But I figured out that the reason you saw this issue is because you downloaded the personalized version of prime.txt which already contains your username from the site (i.e. http://www.seventeenorbust.com/accou...xt.php?u=louie). You don't need to edit this version because it's already setup to work with you username, so very few people will be editing this version... especially with Notepad. Even so, I'd fix it if I could but the only way to fix this from my side would be to change the linebreak style which would cause even more editing problems for non-Windows users. So I'm leaving it as regular linebreaks for now. As enderak points out, Wordpad and every other known editor handles this correctly. I'm actually amazed that Microsoft has the temerity to not fix Notepad after so many years.

Cheers,
    Louie

It looks like once you run Prime95 it reformats prime.txt with DOS newlines, so it shows up fine in Notepad after that.

How do I set the new client to use just one or two of my cores, please? As soon as I started the client, multiple "workers" popped up and assumed I wanted to use every core I had.

Edit: Found it. It's under Test->Worker Windows.

(Assuming Windows client here...)

Test > Worker Windows up in the menus

Number of worker windows * Multithreading = Total number of cores that will be used

I encountered a bug where the username kept being changed back to "louie" in the text file. I'm having difficulty reproducing it now, but what happened was I changed my name in the prime.txt file to deciheximal, saved the file, loaded the new client, looked at test->preferences and saw the "optional user ID" listed as "louie", which I changed to deciheximal as well. Then I closed the client, looked back at prime.txt, where V5UserID had been changed back to louie. Changed it back to deciheximal, saved, loaded the client and saw that in text->preferences, the file name had been changed back to louie. Went through variations on this about 8 times before I somehow got it to stick. Now both the user ID in that menu and my text file remain as my user name.

Note that before this, I wasn't getting credit for running the new client. (Yes, the line MersenneIP=www.seventeenorbust.com has remained in tact) I'll have to watch to see if that changes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Deciheximal View Post
    I encountered a bug where the username kept being changed back to "louie" in the text file.
    I see how this could happen. I fixed it on the server.

This fix will also reclaim any tests you're currently working on when your name is switched from louie back to your correct username.

Cheers,
    Louie

Hi,
    I just tried the new client.
    The "installation" was very easy.
    After starting the client I got an k-n-pair to test, but the client says

Code:
    Optimal P-1 factoring of 55459*2^16039570+1 using up to 400 MB of memory.
    Assuming no factors below 2^55 and 0 primality tests saved if a factor is found.
    55459*2^16039570+1 does not need P-1 factoring.
    After this the client starts with de PRP-test. Is this OK, or is there something wrong with my preferences? If everything is OK, why is the client aborting the P-1 / when will the client do the factoring?

Nothing wrong at all, that is what it is supposed to do. The new client will not be doing any P-1 factoring until n>17.2M. (n's before 17.2M have already been factored or are in the process of being factored manually)

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Code:
    Optimal P-1 factoring of 55459*2^16039570+1 using up to 400 MB of memory.
    Assuming no factors below 2^55 and 0 primality tests saved if a factor is found.
    55459*2^16039570+1 does not need P-1 factoring.
    The client should not have output this harmless message. I'll fix this in a future release.

OK.
    Thanks for the fast answer.

Problem using New Client together with GIMPS

Hi,

I am participating in SoB and in GIMPS and now I wanted to switch to the new client in the hope to have one common interface to handle them both. Since I own a Dual Core processor, I intend to run GIMPS on one core and SoB on the other one. After I had modified my (already existing) prime.txt by adding the lines accordingly, I really noticed my GIMPS continuing with the Lucas-Lehmer test on "worker 1" and starting a new SoB run on "worker 2", just as intended:

Prime.log:
    Got assignment 000000000000000000000000000EDF95: PRP 21181*2^16028684+1
    Sending expected completion date for 21181*2^16028684+1: Apr 02 2009
    [snip]
    =END=

Also the window for "worker 2" started with the iterations, showing the message

[Thu Mar 19 21:00:43 2009]
    21181*2^16028684+1 does not need P-1 factoring.

(Thanks to Rincewind, I am not concerned about that message anymore)

And here is my problem:

After some hours (after the next connection to the server) I noticed that the client had stopped doing the SoB run but instead it had started to perform an additional GIMPS run. So SoB had been replaced by GIMPS...

In prime.log I found some "Error 43: Invalid assignment key".

Is there anything I missed? Did I misconfigure anything?

It would be really nice if you could help my out so that I can continue in supporting two great initiatives! If necessary I can poste quotes from some of my log files. I am using the Windows 64-bit version of the client on a Vista 64Bit Operating System.

Thanks,
    Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I intend to run GIMPS on one core and SoB on the other one.
    The only way to do this is to run two instances of prime95. This is because you want to talk to two different servers. Prime95 cannot be configured to have one worker talk to the GIMPS server and one worker talk to the SoB server.

So have two folders - one for GIMPS and one for SoB. Configure each to only run one worker thread - and set affinity so they run on different cores.

Quote Originally Posted by prime95 View Post
    The only way to do this is to run two instances of prime95. This is because you want to talk to two different servers. Prime95 cannot be configured to have one worker talk to the GIMPS server and one worker talk to the SoB server.

So have two folders - one for GIMPS and one for SoB. Configure each to only run one worker thread - and set affinity so they run on different cores.

Thanks for the answer. I'll try it that way.

Best regards
    Oliver

Grutte Pier [Wa Oars] Theadalus's Avatar
    How does this client act on intermediate transmit, does it transmit intermediate blocks or only complete test results?

I disabled "Transmit intermediate blocks" with the old client because each server connection costs cpu-time.
    Can this be done with the new client, so it only connect with server after test completion?
    Powered by: Warlock, Necromancer and Sorcerer

Louie,

It seems that the new client is unable to get secondpass wu. I tried to get wu using the new client with usernameQQQsecondpass but the client is only able to save it as usernameQQQsecondpas with 20 characters limit.

I assume that the client defaulted to anonymous since it was able to crunch and send updates but I was unable to see it on my pending web page.

I was able to get a new wu and able to see it on the pending page only after I deleted the orginal folder and started with my first pass username.

e
    Last edited by engracio; 03-22-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Theadalus,

By default it contacts the server once per day, and the network communication is on a separate thread, so it does not delay computation like the old client did, so there is no worry about wasting cpu time.

If you want to, you can set "Days between sending new end dates" to 7 (the max), but it's really a non-issue.

Grutte Pier [Wa Oars] Theadalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enderak View Post
    Theadalus,

By default it contacts the server once per day, and the network communication is on a separate thread, so it does not delay computation like the old client did, so there is no worry about wasting cpu time.

If you want to, you can set "Days between sending new end dates" to 7 (the max), but it's really a non-issue.
    With the old client (v2.5) it could happen the server was connected about 1600+ times a day (for each block), that's a significant cpu-loss.

But once a day is indeed a non-issue.

Thanx for your respons!