Thread: How to get started

Post How to get started

All this below is for a Port 8000 NPLB setup. You can edit it for any port you want to participate in.

Care Packages
    http://www.ironbits.net/files/llrnet-1core-linux.rar - for Linux, single core, make copies into another directory for mulit-cores
    http://www.ironbits.net/files/llrnet-4core-win.rar - for Winders - 4 core version ready to go
    http://www.ironbits.net/files/llrnet-8core-win.rar - for Winders - 8 core version ready to go

For Linux, cd into each directory and run ./llrnet

For Winders, cd into each directory and run llrnet.exe

or you can use this script for Winders versions
    (assuming the location for the directories PATH is as follows C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\... )
    Put this script in C:\dcprojects\NPLB and call it Port8000nplb.bat
    @echo off
    start "NPLB-1" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB1 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-2" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB2 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-3" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB3 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-4" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB4 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-5" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB5 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-6" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB6 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-7" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB7 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-8" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB8 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe

For Vista, you can use this script (Vista allows you to set affinity for your cores )
    Put this in C:\dcprojects\NPLB and call it Port8000nplb.bat
    @echo off
    start "NPLB-1" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB1 /AFFINITY 1 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-2" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB2 /AFFINITY 2 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-3" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB3 /AFFINITY 4 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-4" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB4 /AFFINITY 8 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-5" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB5 /AFFINITY 10 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-6" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB6 /AFFINITY 20 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-7" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB7 /AFFINITY 40 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
    start "NPLB-8" /D C:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB8 /AFFINITY 80 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe

Edit the above scripts for the amount of cores you have and directory paths etc.

On the *-win.rar files, just be sure to edit each llr-clientconfig.txt at the following line 'usename=', for each core/directory you use, everything else is good to go

username = "LaurenU2" ; put your LoginID/UserName/Screen Name here

It don't get any easier than that folks. Join in the fun, it's only TWO days, then back to what you were doing

For Linux folks, here is a setup I use for starting the clients using screen
    Don't know how screen works, here's the manual http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/manual/screen.html

You need to change LoginID to your LoginID, create a nplb directory, then inside that directory, nplb1, nplb2, nplb3, nplb4 (for 4 cores etc)
    Edit the llr-clientconfig.txt for you LoginID/UserName/Screen Name

Create a script called start8000, make sure you chmod 775 start8000 and put it in the root of your home directory
    #!/bin/sh
    screen -O -S nplbclients -c ~/.screenrc-8000

Create another file called .screenrc-8000 and put it in the root of your home directory (note the . character at the beginning of the filename (makes it hidden))
    (The 'hardstatus string' is all on one line, don't let it line wrap)
    startup_message off
    autodetach on
    hardstatus alwayslastline
    hardstatus string '%{= kG}[ %{G}%H %{g}][%= %{=kw}%?%-Lw%?%{r}(%{W}%n*%f%t%?(%u)%?%{r})%{w}%?%+Lw%?%?%= %{g}][%{B}%Y-%m-%d %{W}%c %{g}]'

#chdir
    #screen -t shell 0

chdir /home/LoginID/nplb/8000/nplb1
    screen -t 8000-1 1 ./llrnet

chdir /home/LoginID/nplb/8000/nplb2
    screen -t 8000-2 2 ./llrnet

chdir /home/LoginID/nplb/8000/nplb3
    screen -t 8000-3 3 ./llrnet

chdir /home/LoginID/nplb/8000/nplb4
    screen -t 8000-4 4 ./llrnet

Done

For Linux, I have a script I use to manage my 'screens'
    Copy paste this into a file called screens, chmod 755 screens, put it in your $PATH
    #!/bin/bash

# filters the screen -ls output to show the sesssions
    sessions=`screen -ls | sed -ne 's/[[:space:]]//' -ne 's/\((Attached)\|(Detached)\)// p'`
    res=`echo "$sessions" | wc -w`

if (( $res == 0 ))
    then
    echo " No existing SCREEN session to reattach to..."
    exit
    fi

echo ''
    echo " CURRENT SESSIONS"
    echo " ------------------------"
    #screen -ls | sed -ne 's/[[:space:]]//' -ne 's/\((Attached)\|(Detached)\)// p' | cat -n
    echo "$sessions" | cat -n
    echo " ------------------------"
    echo ''

#if first argument is not specified, script will ask for number of screen

if [ -z $1 ]
    then
    echo -n " Reattach to session: "
    read session
    else
    session=$1
    fi

#attach to specified session
    linenum=0
    name=`screen -ls | sed -ne 's/[[:space:]]//' -ne 's/\((Attached)\|(Detached)\)// p' |
    while read line
    do
    let "linenum += 1"
    if [[ "$linenum" -eq "$session" ]]
    then
    echo $line
    break
    fi
    done`

if [[ "$name" != "" ]]
    then
    screen -d -r "$name"
    else
    echo " Could not reattach to '$session'"
    fi

Now just type screens and if you have any screen session running, it will show you all of them and you can choose which one you want to work with.

One thing you forgot: After setting up the client, go to the Teams thread at the NPLB forum and post there that you'd like to register for Team Free-DC. AMDave or IronBits will get you set up in the DB as soon as they see your message.

Note: until you're registered in the DB as a member of Free-DC, your points will count towards team "-" (no team). Don't be alarmed by this; rest assured, this will be retroactively fixed when you're added to your correct team.

Note2: mersenneforum.org, where NPLB's forum resides, requires registration to post in most subforums (including NPLB's). When you post your first post, it won't show up immediately; again, don't be alarmed by this, because it will show up as soon as a moderator sees it and approves your registration. I'm pretty sure this is also how the Free-DC forum operates, but I figured I'd give you guys a heads-up just to be sure since we've had users get quite confused about this in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dettweiler View Post
    Note: until you're registered in the DB as a member of Free-DC, your points will count towards team "-" (no team). Don't be alarmed by this; rest assured, this will be retroactively fixed when you're added to your correct team.
    Confirmed: At present, points move with the participant.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

Once you return one work unit, after the hour when the stats run, you will show up.
    At that time, you can request to be added to a Team or request to have a new Team added so you can join it.
    Use this link to do that: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=10826
    Also would help if you sent along your email address where you want to be notified when you find a prime.
    Instructions on how to do that will be outlined here shortly.

Can I start using this thread for all my stupid NPLB questions? I really didn't mean to hijack the PoTM thread, but that's where all the action was

I registered on the new forum, and did my verification from the email. It still won't let me post there.

How do you know if you find a prime????

You can check all your clients logs, very boring.

You give the admins your email address, and the server will email you when you find a prime.
    Much the best way.

PM IB or AMDave.

If his email addy is correct on this form, then the NPLB database already has it.