Thread: Average time between updates?

Average time between updates?

Would it be possible to add the "average time between updates" for the projects on the main index page? It's nice to know that the stats for a given project are "1 hour and 32 minutes" old, but knowing how long it may be until their next update would be nice too. :-)

Some projects, like SETI, only update once a day (if they're lucky :-)) and others seem to export data every 6 hours, or even more frequently. So it'd be nice to know roughly how much longer I should wait before checking the page again. :-)

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I could add that.

You can also go to statsrun overall

The timings are a little misleading as some the variables are redundant now, but I use it for the overall time for a statsrun.

You can also pare it down as follows

statsrun for yoyo

I'll look into showing some form of statistic which will give an overview of how often they are updating based on this though..

Sort of 'Next update anticipated in X, based on Y updates per day on average'

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I could add that.

You can also go to statsrun overall
    Hmm. Thanks for the pointer, but I guess I need some explanation to understand how to interpret statsrun. So, the columns with the "1"s are indicating when you got fresh stats of that type from the project? So pulling it up for a specific project and searching for a "1" would let me see how frequently (on average) the project exports? OK. That's a good place to start.

Thanks BOK!

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Nah, these are really for me to tie down problems. It's the elapsed seconds taken by various parts of an individual stats update. But some of the variables are not actually populated anyway. The overall is accurate though. Seti is by far the longest as you'd expect and is the only project that takes any appreciable time to do any of the rankings.

For your purposes though, you can just look at the datetimes when they run. In the case of seti again, you'll see that it's once per day and roughly occurs between 4pm and 7pm MST each day though there are exceptions. The stats system is looking for any updated stats pretty much constantly except for a 2 hour or so window after midnight where it runs the rollovers + backups etc, so anytime after new stats are found it will run an update.

If you look at another project that updates more often like Yoyo@Home and look at the datetimes you'll see it's roughly every 2 hours...

But I'll work on interpolating this and put something in the headers..

Bok