I finally figured out away to control the ICON that is used when you start a client in Vista.
Vista likes to use the last ICON it saw in the System Tray, don't know why, but that's what it does, so to make it use an icon you like, I run task manager first, then start the clients
This also works in Windows XP 64bit to.

I'll share my script that I use to run 8 cores, can be edited for less cores easily.

@echo off
start taskmgr.exe
sleep 3
start "NPLB-1" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB1 /I /AFFINITY 1 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-2" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB2 /I /AFFINITY 2 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-3" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB3 /I /AFFINITY 4 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-4" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB4 /I /AFFINITY 8 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-5" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB5 /I /AFFINITY 10 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-6" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB6 /I /AFFINITY 20 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-7" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB7 /I /AFFINITY 40 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
start "NPLB-8" /D D:\dcprojects\NPLB\Port8000\NPLB8 /I /AFFINITY 80 cmd.exe /C llrnet.exe
taskkill /im taskmgr.exe

By doing this, I get 8 task manager icons in the System Tray.
I also spend the few minutes to change the window size for each one, drag it where I want it, then save it. (you only have to do this once)
75 wide 8 tall - allows me to fit them all on the screen 1280x1024, one on top of the other.
If you use grouping, you can minimize the group, or, close the group to terminate them.