Thread: new dat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

new dat?

i'll preface by saying i've been away from SOB for quite a while..

however i've just noticed (via primegrid/boinc) that the current dat is over 6 months old..

remind me if i'm wrong.. but doesnt it get smaller as we find factors? and does that not increase the sieve speed.?

i realise that creating a new .dat/.sieveinput file, and that a new file then needs to be downloaded by everyone..

i guess my question is.. is there somethign else i am forgetting?
    and is there any plan to update it soon?

ShoeLace

I'm afraid it will take the removal of a k from the .dat to have any impact on speed at this point, and even then it would probably only be a few %.

Blog Entries
    I suppose even 1% is a nice gain.
    and new dat can be a news making event. few posts at team forums about updating dat, this can attract some (okay very small) attention to sieving.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

yeah i know its not much..

i also thought that with the upcoming primegrid challenge.. any small increase times lots of people starts to add up.

AFAIK a new dat without k removal would not increase the sieve speed with the new client.

I guess one thing to think about would be removing all n less than the double check level of psp which is 1.5M there abouts.

That would only lead to a (48.5/50)^.5 speed increase if I recall (less than 1%).

Th eonly advantage at this time would be in regards to P-1 testing. However P-1 is not used at PSP and is going to be incorporated into the new SoB at 16M...

I guess there is a bandwidth issue savings for a new dat... BUt then again everyone would have to down load it not just new people...

Don't get me wrong I'd like a new dat too, but just can't find a justification. A prime is about the only thing that will make a dat change at this point.

Here is hoping for a prime.

Blog Entries
    afair this topic is raised up few times an year for past few years.
    i can give you simple justification. people loves progress. love to moving forward. they like when something happens with their favorite project. havin a prime once in a year for person that check his stats DAILY is a PAIN.
    SoB definitely need two news per month on a main page.

so new dat is just a something that keeps users interested. it creates a buzz around the projects. it create a news event.

- whats' new about XXXXXXX project?
    - they make this and that...
    - what about SoB?
    - nothing.

*year passed*

- whats' new about XXXXXXX project?
    - they make this and that...
    - what about SoB?
    - hmm... nothing.
    - does they in a coma?
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

You do have a good point there Death, It would probably generate some publicity among DC fans. Best to delay a bit then, the new p95-sb client is still news.

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    i can give you simple justification
    me 2

Death it has only been a little over a month...

A new dat will come out after a new prime. Consider the bandwidth of a new dat for bionic.

We are ready for a new prime at anytime please be patient.