Thread: new dat?

new dat?

i'll preface by saying i've been away from SOB for quite a while..

however i've just noticed (via primegrid/boinc) that the current dat is over 6 months old..

remind me if i'm wrong.. but doesnt it get smaller as we find factors? and does that not increase the sieve speed.?

i realise that creating a new .dat/.sieveinput file, and that a new file then needs to be downloaded by everyone..

i guess my question is.. is there somethign else i am forgetting?
    and is there any plan to update it soon?

ShoeLace

I'm afraid it will take the removal of a k from the .dat to have any impact on speed at this point, and even then it would probably only be a few %.

Blog Entries
    I suppose even 1% is a nice gain.
    and new dat can be a news making event. few posts at team forums about updating dat, this can attract some (okay very small) attention to sieving.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

yeah i know its not much..

i also thought that with the upcoming primegrid challenge.. any small increase times lots of people starts to add up.

AFAIK a new dat without k removal would not increase the sieve speed with the new client.

I guess one thing to think about would be removing all n less than the double check level of psp which is 1.5M there abouts.

That would only lead to a (48.5/50)^.5 speed increase if I recall (less than 1%).

Th eonly advantage at this time would be in regards to P-1 testing. However P-1 is not used at PSP and is going to be incorporated into the new SoB at 16M...

I guess there is a bandwidth issue savings for a new dat... BUt then again everyone would have to down load it not just new people...

Don't get me wrong I'd like a new dat too, but just can't find a justification. A prime is about the only thing that will make a dat change at this point.

Here is hoping for a prime.

Blog Entries
    afair this topic is raised up few times an year for past few years.
    i can give you simple justification. people loves progress. love to moving forward. they like when something happens with their favorite project. havin a prime once in a year for person that check his stats DAILY is a PAIN.
    SoB definitely need two news per month on a main page.

so new dat is just a something that keeps users interested. it creates a buzz around the projects. it create a news event.

- whats' new about XXXXXXX project?
    - they make this and that...
    - what about SoB?
    - nothing.

*year passed*

- whats' new about XXXXXXX project?
    - they make this and that...
    - what about SoB?
    - hmm... nothing.
    - does they in a coma?
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

You do have a good point there Death, It would probably generate some publicity among DC fans. Best to delay a bit then, the new p95-sb client is still news.

Blog Entries
    bumpbump ))))))

there should be a news post on sob main page.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    i can give you simple justification
    me 2

Death it has only been a little over a month...

A new dat will come out after a new prime. Consider the bandwidth of a new dat for bionic.

We are ready for a new prime at anytime please be patient.

Blog Entries
    bandwidth will be exactly the same as dat size ))))

you upload it in 4shared.com or rapidshare and bandwidth is not your problem ))

I can host it if you wish on my godaddy account. It have 100Gb monthly traffic and I barely use 1Gb.

news is a gas for internet. there should be a 2-3 news post monthly.
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    bandwidth will be exactly the same as dat size ))))

you upload it in 4shared.com or rapidshare and bandwidth is not your problem ))

I can host it if you wish on my godaddy account. It have 100Gb monthly traffic and I barely use 1Gb.

news is a gas for internet. there should be a 2-3 news post monthly.
    Updates are welcome but too many updates (often trivial news) may bring some in the short run but in the long run, may be ignored. Personally, I didn't care too much for the Colbert number update (was there a change in new users or an increase in work done?) but events such as a new dat would do the trick (at least semi-annually or quarterly).

Blog Entries
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \