Thread: How long will SOB last?

How long will SOB last?

It is obviously not infinite... Any guesses how much work there is to do and how long we can expect this project to last?

Even a worst case scenario estimate would be nice...

Thanks!

Well... there is a chance that we are working on a prime-free sequence (you can read this word k-values, if the other seems nonsense!); in that way, the project won't be ended, unless someone gives an abstract proof, that our sequence is prime free!

However, if we find a prime, I believe, that there is 2 other sequences, that could have primes as far out as we are now, and even further out!

So the answer is... we will not know when a prime will be found, but if we find a prime tomorrow, there will be other sequences waiting for us (however, it would be a grand breakthrough to find a prime at this point)! I have heard a rumor, that we will end working on our current sequence, when we reach n= 3,000,000 (or is just that we will also start working on another sequence?); please confirm or reject this rumor.

One thing I would like to ask, is if anyone actually have read the proof that k=78557 defines a prime-free sequence? And if you have, in what degree, is 78557 "random", and in what degree does it base itselve on the form of 78557. I would like to get a touch of the possibility of this conjecture being true!

What magazine, year and number is the proof in?

A good starting point for sierpinski numbers is http://www.prothsearch.net/sierp.html. There are a few links on that site which you should follow.

It will take quiet a while to find a factor for all of the remaining sequences. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/878 for some numbers.

But that is to solve all the remaining numbers (19 in the link above, 17 currentely). Chances that one of the remaining numbers has a prime within our range is of course much higher.

The last i heard is that the current K will indeed be searched up to 3 million (about 1500 numbers left currentely). After that we will start testink k=33661 which is currentely only at 645600.
    But i guess with this distributed project we will reach 3 million for that next K pretty fast.

Sieve it, baby!
    Well, it took mankind 41 years to get down to 17 remaining could-be-Sierpinskis. So I guess it's quite fair to continue that work and sieve out as much numbers as we can, so that there will be a final result somewhere in the (hopefully not so far) future.
    As the likeliness of a prime (maybe only relative to the needed effort, but that's what counts here) decreases with the increase of n (at least as far as I unterstood) it should be a wise idea to keep the remaining number tests at a more or less even level.

btw. the prothsearch site states that n(max)tested is 1952000 as of November 5th. Is there a season why? I mean, it's the 7th now and inclusively it's 1929452, the highest of 'em all is much higher...

Sieve it, baby!
    Hey, how many n's are still missing to 2M? And where's the big jubilee party?

Sorry for this "double post" - seems like editing is only possible within 60 seconds...

there is a warning on the page by the bound right now:

"some testing is occuring, below bound may be low"

I will someday make a stat script (or graph) that shows how many values are below each value. Right now it's like this:

2 : < 200000
    2 : 2000000 - 2100000
    18 : 2100000 - 2200000
    32 : 2200000 - 2300000

-Louie