Thread: 1st in 31

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

1st in 31

Can We Do It ? Can we take the 1st Place seat in 31 days ?

What Kind of output will we need to reach 1st Place in 31 days

Who all will Help Free-DC reach 1st Place ?

Come on Guy/Gals lets Make the Last spring PUSH of 2009 A Good One

Blog Entries
    40K A Day

I'm in!
    About May 2nd, I'll be able to add another ~240 per hour

I think my brain needs a hard reset.

I just looked at the Free-DC stats site for this. Is there really only 70 people on this whole project?
    No wonder it doesn't have the - ummm - features of a mature project.

I really thought this was the old Mersenne prime project that's been around for about 10 years or more, with just another new name - like Riesel or Sierpinski or any of the other identities that it seems to have worn over time. Confusion is further compounded by the fact that it seems to be running the same llrnet software package that dates back to at least 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    I think my brain needs a hard reset.

I just looked at the Free-DC stats site for this. Is there really only 70 people on this whole project?
    No wonder it doesn't have the - ummm - features of a mature project.

I really thought this was the old Mersenne prime project that's been around for about 10 years or more, with just another new name - like Riesel or Sierpinski or any of the other identities that it seems to have worn over time. Confusion is further compounded by the fact that it seems to be running the same llrnet software package that dates back to at least 2005.
    Sorry for any confusion about the project's nature. We are a small but rapidly growing project (yes, you read that right about the 70 people ). I'm afraid you had a bit abnormal experience trying to get set up--we're currently in a bit of a transition phase where we're trying to move to a new forum and website of our own. I'm not sure why the new forum didn't let you post at first--it's supposed to and we hadn't had any problems like that yet.

One advantage of us being a relatively smallish project is that it produces a more personal atmosphere than a larger project would--for comparison's sake, look at some of the big BOINC projects like Rosetta and SETI, where most individual users wouldn't even dream of posting anything on the forum, except maybe to report a bug in the client. NPLB, on the other hand, has always had a very active discussion forum which the large majority of our members participate in. (Of course, it's not *absolutely* required that members participate in the forum, though it is encouraged. )

Regarding LLRnet being somewhat outdated: Yes, we are aware of this. LLRnet was originally developed by the Riesel Sieve project a while back, which largely dropped the ball on further development of the application as they focused more on their BOINC setup. However, within the last few months a new application, PRPnet, has been developed which is much more versatile and easily-updated than LLRnet, and we are currently testing it out at NPLB in beta phase. Once we've finished integrating it into our current database setup, it will replace LLRnet as the primary application used by the project.

BTW--what exactly did you mean by "features of a mature project"? Do you mean an updated client? Our own forum? A website? (we're working on all three of those ATM )

If you have any further questions, please, feel free to send me a PM at this forum or either of NPLB's (old or new). I'll try to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

Max (NPLB project admin)

I'm in. I left a few cores on NPLB since the gauntlet ended but as soon as I finish some other work I will put some more on NPLB. Of course I don't have the kind of firepower that most of you have, but every little bit counts right?

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    I may just stick with P@H / nQueens / something else as the days of me doing things manual without some kind of menu driven system are gone as the pc I'd use would probably not be this one.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

It's a tall order but doable.
    Some of my boxes will be off sieving duty soon and back on LLR tests.

I will have a bit of down time between late on the 4th and early on the 6th as i have an electrician coming in.
    Best he doesn't see some of my regulation breaking hookups.

BTW Lauren
    You are making good progress on the top 5000 list.
    More stats for you to keep an eye on.

http://primes.utm.edu/bios/page.php?id=1565