Thread: windows XP - boxes with multiple user accounts

windows XP - boxes with multiple user accounts

Houston, we have a problem

with Win XP , i have multiple user accounts on my kids pc
    i log in and get SB going, then lock my screen/switch user
    this puts the pc back to the user login screen

here is where the problem begins

daughter logs into WinXP with her account

SB starts again, with a different process, but working on the SAME blocks, so now i have two instances of SB working on the same work, but at half the speed
    which ever one finishes first, seems to send the full test in and get a new one (which is again shared by as many accounts are active)

this is killing my output , i know SB dosn't launch from the startup menu/folder, so it must be a registry setting
    is it set to run as "All users" or something? if so, how can i switch it to only start when my account logs in?
    thank you
    Use the right tool for the right job!

This brings up a related question - has anyone attempted to get the client running with FireDaemon?

I hadn't realized that it used registry entries, in my limited testing, I didn't have any taxing or exotic deployment requirements.

A true service install would be wonderful, this is such a great feature over the long-haul, especially with even the consumer OSes from MS being based on NT now.

disable autostart on windows (config menu) and place a shortcut to the client in your startup group.

A service version would be even better of course

Fobot, if you do as smh suggests, rather than have a shortcut in the start menu, you could set it via taskscheduler to "run on system start" that way you don't run into the same kinds of issues, with a copy of the client launching in each user account.

I don't know how it deals with the program when not logged into ANY account though.

that worked, i will just manually start it
    thank you
    Use the right tool for the right job!

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.

Thumbs down XP is trash

I would be happy if I could get a DC program to run on XP for 24 hours without crashing.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

FireDaemon? does anyone know if the client will run in whatever this is? I would like to post instructions somewhere on how a service can be run if someone gets it working.

i know it would be ideal to have a service written but I would like a solution until I can. same goes for proxy support. is there a thrid party proxy program that SB can use for those in need? anyone who gets either of these things to work needs to post details here for me to steal and add to future documentation

-Louie

I don't know if this is realevant, but for Linux, I use a (I guess it's a window manager, but I use it as a) program, that is called screen; in that way, even though I have logged out of my account, SoB will still be running since I started it up in screen!

see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

for more details!

Originally posted by jjjjL
    FireDaemon? does anyone know if the client will run in whatever this is? I would like to post instructions somewhere on how a service can be run if someone gets it working.

i know it would be ideal to have a service written but I would like a solution until I can. same goes for proxy support. is there a thrid party proxy program that SB can use for those in need? anyone who gets either of these things to work needs to post details here for me to steal and add to future documentation

-Louie
    I did use it for PRP and GMP-ECM and that worked. I'll give it a try for SoB and post the results.

Okay, here is what i did:

- Download firedaemonand install it. The lite version is free for non commercial use.

- Exit the SoB client

- Start the FireDaemon Service Manager and click Service => New

- On the Program tab enter something at the Service Identification fields. Check 'console applicaton' if you want the icon in the system tray. For 'working directory' choose the directory where the executable is in (default "c:\program files\sb") and 'executable' is sb.exe and set the priority to Idle

- On the settings tab check 'interact with desktop' and 'show window' Minimized. Start-Up mode must be Automatic so it runs
    at boot (no need to logon). If desired set Upon Program Exit to restart the program. Other Tabs can be left empty.

- Leave the 'Auto-start on windows boot' checked otherwise the SoB client starts but will wait for the user to click start.

Thats it, only takes 3 minutes of your time

Can not edit the above message anymore, but just came to the conclusion that the icon in the system tray doesn't show up after a reboot.

Stopping and starting the service in the firedaemon service manager does bring up the icon.

Re: XP is trash

Originally posted by dragongoddess
    I would be happy if I could get a DC program to run on XP for 24 hours without crashing.
    I've yet to see the SB client crash on here. I have WinXtremePansy Pro... It's been going a hair short of 48 hours since i upgraded monday.

Sieve it, baby!
    I have the problem that the service's priority is still too high although it's set to idle. There's another program that starts in idle mode on the computers at work whenever a user logs in. Unfortunately, this program's process gets almost no CPU cycles and the whole system shows some strange behavior.
    If it would be possible to either reduce the priority of the SB service even more (or to raise the priority of the other process - as it's indended to run only a couple of seconds and has low CPU needs), I could reinstall SB on other PCs than my one.