Thread: Mission Statement

Mission Statement

Free-DC's Prime Search

This is a project to search for prime numbers of the form K*2^n-1, odd k (better known as Riesel Primes) to find many Top 5000 prime numbers.
    The primary goal is to find as many Top 5000 primes as possible in a given range of k and eventually finding mega-digit primes. Our main effort will begin testing in a range just above the lower bound of the Top 5000 Prime level and moving to higher levels as we proceed. A secondary effort will be launched soon that will work on low Nash weight k's for large primes to get into mega-digit level quickly.

Our main effort is currently testing all k's in the 3400 to 3999 range, 6000 to 6999 range and 7000 to 7999 range (other than those k's reserved by others).

All testing of k's will be through our llrnet server at this time.

The first range of k 3400 - 3999 is currently available on the server.

The second range of k 6000-6999 will be available on June 1st, with the 3rd range of k 7000 - 7999 scheduled for mid-June.
    Last edited by Beyond; 05-24-2009 at 07:51 AM.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Cool!!!

Correction:

Change "numbers of the form K*2^n-1 (better known as Riesel Primes)" to "numbers of the form k*2^n-1, odd k, (better known as Riesel Primes)"

Anyone want to create a favicon or just use Free-DC's?

Beyond, you can edit/delete any post/thread you like as full moderator here.

Maybe I missed something, but since Free-DC is starting their own prime search, are we all switching from NPLB to this? Or how does this compare to NPLB now?

Since it is a new project can't we just start using the new PRPnet code?

Jeff.

DP

You asked what are the differences between this project and NPLB.
    Our goals are a bit different.

NPLB is focused on searching all the n's for each K and filling in all the gaps.
    This necessates non top 5000 work.

FDC PS are not going to be testing below the lower bound of top 5000 submission.
    Our intention is to test higher, taking n up to 4M, resources permitting.

You asked why not go with PRPNET

LLRNET works. it is tried and tested and for now it is what we have decided to go with.
    Basically we trust it, know how it works and can run it with confidence.

Over time we may decide to move over to PRPNET but it will have to mature first.

Ok so every prime found with FDCPS should net a Top5000 prime. Are the ranges being coordinated with NPLB so they at least don't duplicate the work FreeDC has already done?

And are we still pushing NPLB until the end of the month or should everyone switch to FDCPS right away?

Every prime found will be in the Top 5000 range. All the current ranges we will be testing have been reserved on the mersenne forum, the first 2 ranges (3400-3999) and (6000-6999) were reserved back in April. The 7000-7999 range was recently reserved, also on the mersenne forum.
    -:Beyond:-

I've moved some of my cores to the new FDC Prime Search to help out.

Blog Entries
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Here's the link for the "Top projects sorted by Number of primes" where it is possible to check Free-DC's Prime Search ranking.

Ok, we have a favicon.ico now. Thanks Death.

I don't have any computing power to use at the moment, except my laptop, but is k=75600 taken? I know it's outside our range, but for reasons I won't go into in a public forum, it comes highly recommended.

Hopefully the lack of computing power problem will be solved in the next couple days, then I can participate with you guys.

Edit: Sorry for posting in the wrong place.
    Last edited by jasong; 07-17-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: The edit is labeled Edit :)

Jasong

Without knowing which form you intend to use it is difficult to say whether or not it is reserved.
    It isnt reserved at the reisel prime database.

75600 divides by all the common bases so i would say that no one is likely to have reserved it.

What is a favicon used for?
    Bit drug and work befuddled at the mo but takin a break an trying to figure out some more bits on the primes thing.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Tah for the info IB. So it's basically for use if you have a site or webpage?
    IE I can use it on my (hidden) website?
    Sorry for the hassle, strong painkillers and a short deadline for some important planning advice and decisions got me a bit locked up and appreciate the tolerance.
    Also, just got a PS2 and maybe aquiring a PS3 so any good links for mods appreciated as I'm short on time for searching. But only when u have any time mate.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat