Thread: Downtime

Downtime

Server crashed around 4am. No idea why.. it's back up now.

It seems a general problem for all, that at 6h, the stats are lower than the actual work done... personally, I have submitted work for the 3 or something hours, but it haven't been noticed as as much work as it normally would.

Is this because of the server being down?

During the server down my clients stoped crunching while trying to send the intermediate blocks.

Can the client be made to continue on the next block if it can't connect the server?

When i found out i turned of the transfer intermidate blocks to keep it going, bot not everyone notices things like this or has the abillity to manually change the settings on all clients

the intermediate block will timeout (and crushing will soon continue) if you have no internet connection, but the same doesn't happen when you do have a connection but the server is there.

is that correct? intermediate blocks do get skipped for people when they aren't connected and then all submitted later when they are right?

-L

Originally posted by jjjjL
    is that correct? intermediate blocks do get skipped for people when they aren't connected and then all submitted later when they are right?

-L
    Yes. My machines are usually offline and both the Windows and FreeBSD client (seem to) have no problems with intermediate block reporting timing out. Everything seems to get sent when the connection is there.

Originally posted by jjjjL

-L
    I don't think that is entirely correct. It would seem that most of my machines at home (I am at work so I haven't actually seen whats going on there) are not sending anymore. They seemed to have stopped sending early this AM and they haven't sent since. They have an internet connection since they are still signaling me that they are alive.

I think this was actually a plan. Get everyone to upgrade to the new client by promising them a speed increase. Then, once they have the new client, kill the server and shut them all down so that Michigan won't lose first place. Diabolical.....

Originally posted by Auritania

I think this was actually a plan. Get everyone to upgrade to the new client by promising them a speed increase. Then, once they have the new client, kill the server and shut them all down so that Michigan won't lose first place. Diabolical.....
    lol well i doubt it will work.

i understand that everyone's clients hung and i understand why too. would have happened with the v0.9.8 clients and probably the other clients too. the current client is dependant on the server being online if you are. i'll of course add a timeout to the next client to account for this situation so it can never happen again.

lesson learned. hopefully the server doesn't randomly die again between now and whenever I finish the next client.

-Louie

The rule of thumb in all of DC is that servers fail 10 minutes after everyone goes home for the weekend.
    Colin Thompson

So true.

Usually during holiday weekends as well.