Thread: DF TV appearance

DF TV appearance

Hello all,

I just wanted to let you know that I, your humble servant, will be interviewed on a local news channel on Wed., Nov. 27, at 5:00 pm EST on a show called 'homepage'. It will be a roughly 7 minute LIVE interview about the Distributed Folding Project, but I have no more details than that. For those interested in watching, you are in luck.. the channel is available streamed through the 'net at www.cp24.com (scroll down to the cp24Live link on the right side of the page).
    We will also try to get a digital copy recorded and put it on the web site for later perusal (if the interview goes well )
    Howard Feldman

i wanna see it
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Release All Zigs!

Exclamation Re: DF TV appearance

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    I just wanted to let you know that I, your humble servant, will be interviewed on a local news channel on Wed., Nov. 27, at 5:00 pm EST on a show called 'homepage'. It will be a roughly 7 minute LIVE interview about the Distributed Folding Project, but I have no more details than that.
    Brian,

You will probably want to make sure they get all the details right. Its a very good oppotunity to gain new people for the project and the last thing you want is for then to screw up the information, especially things like URLs. =)

I'd tell you to register df.org... but apparently that belongs to The Danish People's party already. ;-)

Just one suggestion, add the link to the forum across all the pages on the website so people can come here for help. Actually two suggestions, encourage people in the readme and website to come here for help.

Good Luck, and hoping we'll see a fresh influx of faces.

TTFN,

RuneStar½

P.S. Do you know what they are going to be letting you present in terms of visuals?
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

^^ kick ^^

That is today
    I'll try to watch it
    Member of the Los Alcoholicos

it's started (and already ended). Good interview specificly deticated to DF.

Howard, you looked a litte bit nervous

[edit]
    If i'm correct the interview will be captured and hosted on the DF website.
    Last edited by MarcyDarcy; 11-27-2002 at 05:26 PM.

i missed it

i even put it onto my outlook calendar, but all the weasels in here were distracting me

didn't somebody say it was being re-run later?

i checked the schedule page, it looks like Homepage is re-run at 11:30 pm and 1 am EST

I've also checked (check check dubble check ) the schedule for the rerun

11:30 pm till 12:00 am
    and
    1:00 am Talk till 1:30 am

i am watching this time!

good job howard!!

nice segment, i hope it generates some new DF'ers
    Last edited by FoBoT; 11-27-2002 at 11:55 PM.

Well, for those of us who were not able to see it, is there a possibility of downloading the interview somewhere as an .avi file?

Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Thanks guys and gals We're working on getting a digital copy of the segment, but if anyone has already managed to convert it to an .mpg or .avi, please e-mail us at trades@mshri.on.ca. Otherwise we'll try to get it up on the web site in a week or two.
    Howard Feldman

Yes it's online now
    12/09/2002

- The TV interview from Nov. 27 on CityPulse24 has been posted to the web site, for those of you who missed it and want to see it (or those who saw it but want to watch it again, over and over).
    click here or here (10,3 mb)

That download took 30 seconds! 280.5 K/sec average, according to Mozilla!

Jeez, what kind of upstream bandwidth is there on that ftp.mshri.on.ca server?

Now that I think about it a bit more, enough to handle a bunch of clients all autoupdating, probably.

I just hope that MPlayer (the one for Linux, not Windows Media Player ) plays .asf files with the codec set that I have installed...

it does
    it plays dern near everything...

dang.. you cut it off right before they showed us how to turn old macs into an aquarium
    I wish I thought of things like that back when I was making fun of MACs when I was an Apple II+ owner.

Where was the mention that while most of the 3k+ active users are single cpu runners - we have (sometimes nutcase, team jumping ) admins of hundreds of computers donating their company's cpu cycles to the project?
    Or that while the screen saver may be entertaining and actually show what is being worked on, the truly dedicated to the project run it invis in an ascii based mode?
    It'd sure be neat to see it running as a screensaver on one of the systems used on a futuristic based tv/movie - with them tapping the screen and getting the Vic-20 sized text, or the ship navigation controls
    Congratulations, Howard..

Originally posted by tpdooley
    dang.. you cut it off right before they showed us how to turn old macs into an aquarium
    I wish I thought of things like that back when I was making fun of MACs when I was an Apple II+ owner.
    All is not lost as they gave the URL for the site just before it was cut off. You can still find out how to make your Mac into an aquarium by going here:
    http://www.macaquarium.com/

Jeff.

Originally posted by Scoofy12
    it does
    it plays dern near everything...
    Yep, it does play it. Pretty good interview!

Thanks Given I only had 5 minutes, I tried to get only the most important points across. Anyhow, I will try to get it in MPG or AVI format shortly as I think some people have some trouble viewing it on Windows 2000 and below.
    Howard Feldman