Thread: The (Un)Official everything Whatpulse thread!

Somewhere in the vast depths of Adelaide, South Australia.

The (Un)Official everything Whatpulse thread!

Well, seeing as this forum was dead for... about 2 years, here is something that will hopefully last. I run the Whatpulse forums on Kongregate, so I should be able to kepp this one running too :P

NEWS

Team "Kongregate" put into the stats. All stats in the "Today" section are now skewed.

THREAD

Every day I will post any stats/news I think is useful. Example: 1million+ keys pulses, a new leader or anything along those lines.

Well, tell me if you like the idea!

Great idea! I've tried to generate some interest in Whatpulse here, but it has been relatively unsuccessful. I like the sound of what you have planned though, so let's see how it goes.

To kick things off, version 1.7 beta 2 for Windows is currently available for download which has a bunch of bug fixes, and some minor new features. Bear in mind that most of the posts on that forum link are reporting problems with beta 1; people are saying beta 2 is much better.

I've been using WP since Bewes expired but some problems with my Win 7 install (not with WP) have left me running basic progs only until I get time to sort it. Who said retirement was when you finished with working? He was a liar for sure.
    Anyway, I'll be putting it back on soon as I get these W7 problems ironed out so that'll be 3 of us. Just hope I don't lose my results again.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Back to normal... For now.

Well, we've got all the stats back to normal for today. Those Dutch Power Cows are just killing everything though. I've chipped in for my team with 150,001 today alone, how about everyone else? But anyway, a friend of mine wants his team (Ninja Chat United - http://whatpulse.org/stats/teams/16226/) to be in the stats, so it looks like another day of very unbalanced stats. Oh well, we'll live.

(Just a note to any admins walking by (Bok), could you add the NInja Chat team in please?)

*NOTES*

The following users have changed (or joined) teams so far today (6/4/2010).
    Code:
    NAME   ORIGINAL TEAM    NEW TEAM           KEYS SO FAR       
    Kispus     None ->     Kongregate  	     +5,096
    PiT1337     None ->     PolishTracker 	     +2
    Psae         None ->     Kongregate 	     +819
    [TCF]Manon  None ->     Dutch Power Cows   +90,237
    *EDIT:* All that formatting for it to just crash into a horrible mess of letters and numbers
    Last edited by Sellyme; 04-07-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: A content update.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    added that team.

use the CODE tags to format or switch it to courier..

Bok

For some reason quick reply isn't working...

Thanks for that Bok, I guess what I've got there will do for now. Anyway, I'll be asleep for a while now, I'll edit this out for an update in ~9 hours.

Okay, now Ninja Chat are out of the way, it's time to get rolling. Today seems to be based on Art of War vs. Spread Firefox, only 4mil apart as I write this. A high pulse from either side could give them the lead, so keep your eyes on it, it will be close. Or how abour Ogame.pl Vs. GAMEFORGE PL USERS? Who are only 1mil keys away from each other. Don't know what's going on there, but it seems a bit suspicious. It also seems the Team Stats are broken - them Dutch Power Cows aren't on the list, despite their users in the Top 10 alone being able to get them first. Also, I'm wondering why the countries stats are so hopelessly broken/missing/invalid. Shouldn't the country stats be just as easy to get as the team ones?

Blog Entries
    Country stats are really for BOINC based projects where structured xml is available. For Whatpulse the available data I can parse is pretty much limited unfortunately.

Bok

Blog Entries
    Looking at the xml though, country is available in there so I can likely update my parser to take advantage of that. Will tweak, though I need to make some table changes to accomodate so it won't be till next week at the earliest..

Bok

Cool! I can wait, I've just been wondering why it's not up there, as it seemed realtively easy enough. Also, I don't know if you know this (you probably do) but you can also get quite a lot of stats from these pages.

http://whatpulse.org/api/user.php?UserID=275248
    http://whatpulse.org/api/team.php?TeamID=12986

(Now that I look at it, that's probably what you use :P)
    Last edited by Sellyme; 04-09-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: More information

Blog Entries
    nah, WAY too much to scrape. My ip would likely be banned....

It would be so much better if whatpulse provided the data in one large xml file(s) like the boinc projects do, then I just download it when it changes.

That way I would provide stats for every team/user. But for now I can't..

Back on topic, it mostly worked already, country data is in the db, I'll just have to make a fairly small change to the front end to display it...

Well, I'll talk to wasted and see if I can get him to implement it. It would be a very handy thing to use...

Blog Entries
    yup. I always prefer if possible to get the full data, just not when I have to scrape it from hundreds of webpages at a time

Country data is in.

It'll take a few days to look more meaningful as it start doing daily rollovers and such.. click on each country to drill down to a list of participants in each country.

Well, that's cool. Wasted hasn't replied in the WP forums yet, I think I may have to email him. Also, I'd like to point out that Kongregate team has one tenth of the users the Dutch Power Cows havce, yet has triple the weekly score. Congratulations to all involved.

Also, is there a "Milestones" area implemented into the Whatpulse project? I've had a look, but I can't actually see anything there.
    Last edited by Sellyme; 04-14-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Correction.

Blog Entries
    Actually, I had milestones switched off for whatpulse, though for the life of me I don't remember why. Perhaps there was to many being generated.

Switched them back on now, I'll have to check the logs next run and maybe increase the length between them.

It's great to see Whatpulse getting some stats love.

Quick side note, if you have some time to spare head over to www.typeracer.com and you can rack up loads of keystrokes in no time. If you're a fast typist it will also make you feel good about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellyme View Post
    Well, that's cool. Wasted hasn't replied in the WP forums yet, I think I may have to email him. Also, I'd like to point out that Kongregate team has one tenth of the users the Dutch Power Cows havce, yet has triple the weekly score. Congratulations to all involved.

Also, is there a "Milestones" area implemented into the Whatpulse project? I've had a look, but I can't actually see anything there.
    I would have sworn that somewhere in this Forum, you stated you would NOT do stats for this type of project. But I could be wrong.

Blog Entries
    perhaps I did, many years ago (I did these stats at least 5 years ago originally btw).

But. 'People change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate'

Now tell me which movie that's quoted from (one of my alltime favourites)

Top Secret

Wow, good to see this topic is getting more active quickly :P

The country stats still seem to be down, but I suppose they'll fix themselves. I can't honestly expect them to work 100% in a day of turning them on.

Blog Entries
    dang it, I didn't move the fixed php script over to live. Done now.

@Outlnder -

Heh :P

"If it ain't broke, it needs more features. If it is broke, fix it."

Don't you love a Vicious Circle?

*Revives from dead*

Well, I still haven't got a reply from wasted on the XML files, so it's not looking good

Well, this died. Unfortunately not too many people wanted to see much about this. If however you are one of the few interested, there is a very large (150 page) forum thread at http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/4071 that I essentially run.

That thread is very active an an interesting read. It's a shame you couldn't get something like that going over here, but it has been very quiet around these parts lately.

I'm trying the latest beta version (1.7 beta 8) to see if it helps with all the Windows 7 problems, and it looks good so far. I hope they can get a solid release out soon and then start working on the next version with new features or something.

edit: Sellyme, I see your team passed 1 billion keys! Kongrats!