Thread: Windows Explorer in Vista

Windows Explorer in Vista

Can anyone explain to me why Windows Explorer has to calculate how much disk space and how many files total that will need to be deleted before it actually begins to delete files and folders (directories and sub-directories) ?
    Is there a way to disable the calculation and force it to just delete what I selected without having to wait for the calculation to finish before it actually deletes the files?

If you don't need it to go to the recycle bin, you can do a Shift-Delete which just deletes the files without sending to the recycle bin, and seems to be a bit faster, especially with lots of little files. (Might just be my imagination, though)

Otherwise, I have heard that regularly emptying and/or reducing the size of your recycle bin can help.

If you don't mind the command line, you can use DEL, or better yet use Cygwin if you are comfortable with Linux commands.

But yeah, I agree, it can be a huge pain, especially when working over a network.

[EDIT]
    Googleing around, I just found a suggestion that turning off indexing can help as well.

Blog Entries
    Try using a defibrillator @ 300jules that should do it

enderak might be on to something. There is a setting for the recycle bin which specifies its maximum capacity. I guess if you send something to the recycle bin explorer has to make sure that it will not exceed that capacity first. Therefore, try using shift-delete because then it won't be going to the recycle bin and might not need to check the file size first. Setting the maximum size of the recycle bin to 0% would probably have the same effect, but would obviously disable its use.

I haven't tested any of this, I'm just speculating.

I have yet to come across a situation that disk indexing helps. There may very well may be some, I just haven't found 'em. (And Yes, I have run tests & made measurements. ) Turn it off.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Well I have indexing turned off in XP, I never saw the point in it, as all the index is is dir X:\ /s/a/b where is X is the drive a list a file somewhere hidden that windows looks at.. It's like everything else I know let include this as people want it.... NO we DON'T! the calculating size is there in XP as well but it's now been vistafied aka made 1000% more annoying!
    Turn off all the crap in Vista and you have XP with a bit more security as it should be...
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

I gave up and just go into a CMD shell and do it from there.
    What a PITA VISTA is when it comes to doing anything with files.
    Local HDD, network, don't matter, if you want to delete/copy/move stuff and want it to do it as fast as it has in every other released Windows/DOS version before Vista, you have to dump the GUI and go for the CMD prompt .
    Robocopy is very fast over the network and reliable, but don't have it look at anything under your profile/app data folders ;p

Yeah Vista - what happens when they let the Windows ME team loose again!

Anybody figured out an easy way past the "access denied" crap for your own folders now you don't get to log in as admin on Win 7?
    I don't want to switch everything to "allow" but I can't get the damn thing to even allow me to paste a shortcut into the start folder!!
    I got 2 free copies coming but the cheap offer sold out in hours from start in UK so I didn't manage to get any cheap copies. Just hope I don't get let down (again) by Micro$!!!
    I'm trying out Win Home Server and 2008 but doubt I'll be able to afford either so probs stuck on 2003. Dunno what Edu licenses will be available till next year sometime and the college I'm helping out are very short of funds just now despite a promise of some grants. Grants are OK, but very strictly tied down to specific software/hardware whatever and college has to match pound for pound via donation and charitable help so perennially short of help and funds.
    Y'all should know I'm neither allowed to nor want to get involved with any donations.
    Have to be very careful nowadays after getting hauled over the coals for getting involved with arranging an EU union based donation which someone misunderstood and sent to my bank. ThoughtI was rich for a few short moments :-(
    Oh well, off to La Laland with a nice injection of myleast favourite medical treatment... See y'all in a couple days
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Yeah, tried all the uac stuff.
    Apparently, you can't actually deliberately log on as admin, you have to alter a lot of permissions via the usual route then take ownership of the dirs you want. Still a major problem with some as it still won,t allow you to own system files. Apparently now a major complaint with Win 7 and Micro$ says no intention to alter it as it negates the security too much or somehtin.
    Pollogies for spellin g using new keyboard sideways and still recobering from 24hr drugged sleep . I still think it's stupid personally as they put a slider there to allow alter or even switch off UAC and then still need to go through contortions to sort out things. Even "Run as administrator" doesn't run as expected by many. Seems M$ can't unnerstan wot people are complaining about and many can't uberstand why they don't understand and round and round we go as usual....

So solly, me no speekie ennnnglish..

In Windows Vista, you do not have immediate access to the Admin Account. When logging into Windows Vista, you do not have the option of using this account.

From the Start menu, simply right-click on Computer and choose Manage. Next, expand Local Users and Groups and select the Users folder. The final step is to right-click on the Administrator login and choose properties. Clear the Account is Disabled checkbox and you have now enabled your Administrator account.

Tah! Saved me a lot of time. Still think this new security is a pain sometimes and still can't access or take ownership of any system files.

Expanding on what IB said about the admin account.
    First thing i do is enable it set a password and rename it.

As to the system files.
    Vista and to a greater extent W7 will fight you if you try to mess with the system files.
    Logging in with the real admin account will give you a big stick with which to
    do battle.

If that fails stick the hard disk in another PC running XP, as a secondary.
    It's amazing how many hidden folders and files you discover.

Cheers matey. Was wondering if an XP system would do just that. Not wishing to do much messing but the standard security for instance says "go away" even trying to access the all users for adding a startup option which is really annoying. That's not what I was really saying but my language was a bit unprintable so has been edited

I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that.....
    But Dave, I don't care if you've got admin level clearance with super user clearance with every clearance you can think off.... You can't do that :P

Shish - was something like Foxtroting, Foxtroting, Stupid, Bravoing bloody MikeFoxtroting Winblows?

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows...#windows-vista

This will get you off to a good start with Vista/Win7

Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    I'm sorry Dave I can't let you do that.....
    But Dave, I don't care if you've got admin level clearance with super user clearance with every clearance you can think off.... You can't do that :P

Shish - was something like Foxtroting, Foxtroting, Stupid, Bravoing bloody MikeFoxtroting Winblows?
    I think your analysis is correct GY. Seems each release of Winblows is more PITA than the last. They call it security but if they spent as much time in writing new bits instead of tinkering with old bits then maybe people would appreciate their work more. How long is it since they gutted new file system and other useful new stuff to get a release out the door? Seems their analysis of what the market wants or needs is wrong and a lot of people are just justifying their jobs at M$. Yes we want more secure etc. but we want things to both work and do what we want if we want it. Us tinkerers and others spend more time trying to get the damn thing to let us do what WE WANT, and less and less time actually using it. As President Kennedy said, "We want to do this AND all the other things...." Not just play with the system (no matter what perverse pleasure we sometimes get).
    "RANT" Over and out.