View Poll Results: Should the ban stand?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the ban in place on the Router.

3 27.27%
  • Remove the ban completely

0 0%
  • Add the full subnet and be proactive to enforce it.

8 72.73%

Thread: Threats made to Distributed Computing Servers

Threats made to Distributed Computing Servers

It makes me very very sad to have to say and do this, so I'm going to ask those of you that care, to weigh in on this mess.

Carlos, aka em99010pepe, has been behaving in a very unprofessional manner and has made a very serious threat in a public forum.

You can read the thread over here: http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthr...678#post184678

He said on Aug 09, 2009
    "
    Your wish will come true.
    I'll be using my hack skills to put all llrnet servers of nplb-gb1.no-ip.org (port 4000 and 8000) down by first using a llrnet proxy server. This will upload a bunch of the same results in a loop way...Second, you don't even want to know....

You just wake up the beast, can you handle?
    "
    The NPLB Servers were recently attacked on or about July 24th of this year running behind my router. Unknown by whom at this time.

NPLB Project leaders have been forced to move their Servers to ports that the public do not know to protect them.

Being that we are all about Distributed Computing and the Free-DC Stats and Forum Servers also share the same bandwidth with NPLB and Free-DC Prime Search...
    Also, the threat is also an implied threat to the Free-DC Forums and Stats, given they use the same bandwidth.

I have been asked to block a whole subnet that Carlos is known to use to help protect all Servers running behind my firewall here.

I have taken the serious action of banning Carlo's IP in my firewall router for now while I contemplate.

Should there be a ban?
    Should the ban include the whole subnet?

Free-DC's Prime Search
    The two guys from NPLB created a virtual account to use one of the RPS member, to get some info. I just told the truth.
    Of course I am not a hacker, just posted that to tease them.

You can ban me if you want, I don't care.

You are being used by them (Max and Gary), you are so naive, and they used others to achieve theirs goal.

Carlos

Don't mess about block the whole lot.

I was keeping an eye on that thread and it is obvious that Carlos has lost control.

Ranges for Telepac
    85.240.0.0 /13 255.248.0.0
    188.80.0.0 /14 255.252.0.0
    82.154.0.0 /16 255.255.0.0

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Carlos,

that implied threat whether a joke or not is a serious matter which as a sysadmin partially responsible for these servers I have to take into account.

We've never banned anyone from Free-DC that I know of except for spammers but without a full public retraction, I'm standing behind it also.

I am certain xyzzy over at mersenneforum will not be too thrilled to hear about it written over there either, he could easily be held liable for anything written on forums they control.

Bok

Blog Entries
    It's sad that it had to come to this. Obviously, I don't know the whole story, but it surprised me that Carlos would have done this. I've not seen that type of behavior here from him but I may have missed it. I hope that whatever is decided, we can stop the threat to those and FDC, and get back to crunching and having fun.

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Blog Entries
    Well just remember we all have made a Bad judgment calls The point is to look back at it and try to set it right
    He was most likely frustrated and upset and just lashed out without seeing the impact his words would have