Thread: I believe I have found a way to get more folds out of Linux Operating System

Thumbs up I believe I have found a way to get more folds out of Linux Operating System

I believe I that I have found a way to change settings in Linux OS and get higher fold numbers.

I would like to keep this for my team but should share for the good of the project.

Here is the basics and an explaination following.
    Basics is set CLI/konsole lower than it is now which is ZERO.
    Set foldtrajlite to be higher than CLI/Konsole.

WHEN you run this as service I don't know if the same is happening.

(I run ./foldit from konsole so I have a screen to verify operation.)

Here is my explaination.
    I am running a Windows XP and AMD 1700 + XP processor.
    This was beating badly a Mandrake 9.0 and AMD 2000 + XP processor.

I opened up System Monitor and the CLI/Konsole was chewing up CPU cycles to the tune of 20% or more.
    The priority setting of CLI/Konsole was ZERO.
    The priority setting of foldtrajlite was 20.

I changed foldtrajlite priority to -2 and tested and ZOOM!!! the 1700+ was left in the dust.

I DO NOT KNOW and will defer to experts here how low CLI/Konsole can be set and how much above foldtrajlite has to be set for a workstation setup.
    In a dedicated setting foldfoldtrajlite to -2 solved the problem.

IS THERE a different type of CLI than Konsole that runs a lower Priority??? or something else???

(Additional note: FREESCO has been hacked to run SETI and had 20 - 30% loss also for this diskless setup. I just wrote him and I suppose he will write back and tell me if this solved the loss problem which he thought was because hardware and FREESCO was not optomised. I would try but I just raced for 30 days on a MTR group for a break)

I hope this works and I didn't just open my mouth and make a fool of myself somehow again in life!!!

Bruce Gaylord (Gaillard)

The "konsole" must be badly programmed then. I noticed something similar with the gnome-terminal, although not at all as bad. If you want even more speed, just stop the output to the terminal completly (don't remember which switch, check the readme). Or, you could try aterm or xterm. I use aterm, it's lightweight and fast (and good looking).

pmfp sends
    "There's only one bullet with your name on it, there's a thousand other ones that are addressed 'To Whom It May Concern'."
    -Tracy Paul Warrington

Should be the "-qt" command - "quiet mode".

Greets,
    Wirthi

I would run quiet mode or service but but just in the last day or 2 the program errored on me and had I not seen the konsole it would have been doing no work for days or longer.

Also I don't know if service mode solves the problem.

Regards,

Bruce Gaylord (Gaillard)

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Might I suggest, then, an entry in your crontab that starts the foldtrajlite client ever half hour or so. Because the client checks itself to see if it is running, it will exit if the client is already running.

Easy way to make sure it's always running, and only lose a maximum of 30 minutes of structures.

I run my DC clients on one of the "virtual consoles" (ctrl-alt-F1 to ctrl-alt-F6). This way I can still check up on my clients but they are kept off the desktop....this saves against accidently closing them and X crashes (which is pretty rare but can happen).
    Train hard, fight easy

I generally run them completely in the background unhooked from any console. Then I use a short script that runs every couple of minutes to ensure that it's running. If it's not running, it restarts it and emails me a notice that it was stopped so I can check the error logs for why. You can also use 'top' or something similar for a really quick check.

I edit the command line that starts the client in the foldit shell script as such:

nohup ./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -qt -df -it -rt > /dev/null &

Once launched, I generally never have to touch them or worry about them (unless I reboot).

I run Distributed Folding within a program called screen. screen allows you to attach and detach terminal sessions without killing the processes running within these sessions. With DF running, with the pretty status info in a detached screen, screen uses an average of ~0.2% CPU time. ...I find this acceptable.