Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PrimeGrid Alliance

The just takes SO LONG to get credit in SoB BOINC to that I'm ditching it and going back to BOINC sieving and normal SoB PRP testing. I'm concerned that other people may avoid the BOINC project for the same reason.

If PrimeGrid had a sensible way of doing intermediate reporting with a trickle of credit then it would certainly help my enthusiasm. Also the deadline given for completing a test is too short.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-10-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Looks like PrimeGrid has been given another 7482 tests to complete.

Any word on what range they are? All it says on PG is 18M-19M, but I'm guessing they didn't get the whole range.

Just curious.
    CW

Quote Originally Posted by wolfemancs View Post
    Looks like PrimeGrid has been given another 7482 tests to complete.

Any word on what range they are? All it says on PG is 18M-19M, but I'm guessing they didn't get the whole range.

Just curious.
    CW
    I recently allocated 18.0M - 18.5M to PrimeGrid. They already handed out 97% of the last range from 17.0M - 17.2M in the past two months. And 45% of that range already has completed tests returned!

So if they keep processing at a similar rate, this will be another 5 months worth of tests for them.

Cheers,
    Louie

I'm relatively new to this project (about one year). I guess I had entered it at its peak. I have noticed that the number of active users (within the two week period on the statistics page) has declined on a moving average measure from almost 500 to now under 400 as well the number of tests completed daily from about 180-200 to the 125-140 range (roughly a 20-25% decline in both). This means very little as there are no statistics on how well this PrimeGrid Alliance is turning out. Is there any indication that the decline is being offset by those taking on SoB via BOINC leading to a par or better outcome?

According to the primegrid stats here: http://www.primegrid.com/stats_sob_llr.php there have been 2088 tasks completed by primegrid. The sub-project started around the begining of February, from 1st of February to today is 75 days so there have been an average of 27 tests completed per day through primegrid. If you bear in mind that the tests are fairly long and so the work won't have started being returned for a little while then you can probably round that up to 30 tests per day. So I guess around half of the decline in test volume is being made up for by work underway at primegrid.

Don't forget that all those PG tasks marked complete have also already been double-checked.

Isn't a PG "task" a single test, and a "workunit" made up of multiple tasks? i.e. 30 successfully completed tasks translates into 15 completed workunits, not the other way around? Or do I have it backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by enderak View Post
    Isn't a PG "task" a single test, and a "workunit" made up of multiple tasks? i.e. 30 successfully completed tasks translates into 15 completed workunits, not the other way around? Or do I have it backwards?
    On the server stats page, the headers really should say WU instead of task.

1 WU = 1 number

Initial 1 WU does 2 tasks. It needs two matching tasks to complete a WU.

Lennart

On the server stats page, the headers really should say WU instead of task.
    OK, great. That was exactly why I was confused.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12