Thread: newbie questions

Question newbie questions

So, I downloaded the DF client (screensaver, WinXP on a PIII w/256 MB).
    So far so good, but I have a couple of questions:
    1. Is there a way to run it in accounts other than the admin?
    2. I'm a dial-up user (yeah, I know, it sucks). I left the machine working all night with the extra buffer (for modem users). When it finishes: will it let me know? I mean, if I'm using the machine, the screensaver is not on; if it's on, it means I'm not there... how does it tell me it needs to upload the info? Or will it do it anytime I connect (for web browsing, e-mail, etc.)?

Thanks

Release All Zigs!
    Hi Ricky,

The client will only run when the screensaver is active. It does not run in the background. To have it always running in the background you will have to use the command-line client, aka ASCII client.

When you stop the screensaver, I believe it will buffer the structures created or attempt to upload them at that point. I don't recall off-hand as the screensaver does not get along with non-Intel processors which precludes me since I run AMD systems.

Definitely it will try to send in the structures if it reaches the number of structures specified by you to upload at. Assuming you have auto-dial, your computer should try to make a connection and upload the structures stored.

If not, or if so and the connection is not made successfully, the structures will be buffered (stored) until it can make a connection with the Distributed Folding website, which means you will need to launch the screensaver when the connection is up.

You might try out the ASCII (command-line) client. Its faster than its screensaver counterpart and most of the people run it place of the screensaver. Using dfGUI (http://www.gilchrist.ca/jeff/dfGUI/ ) you can easily setup and run the command line client.

Whatever the case, enjoy, and feel free to post again with more questions. This is definitely the place for it.

RuneStar½
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

Thumbs up

Thanks!!
    I'll try it out.

You can also run the command line version as a Service, which means it will run all of the time in the background (not just when you are logged on as the Administrator).

See the readme1st.txt file in the distribution kit for the (simple ) details on how to do this. You'll find it about 2/3rds of the way down - the section is titled "Running as an NT/2000/XP service"

Ni!

Thanks. I thought about using it as a service, but rather followed runestar's advice and I am running dfGUI now, with excellent results.

But still, thanks for the advice.

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I would then recommend installing it as a service and then use the dfGUI to monitor it
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Pointwood, didn't you want to post that in the thread P4 Hyper-Threading Benchmark?? ?
    Engage!

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I actually thought I did

Sorry about that. Can the admins move posts?

EDIT: I'll post them in the P4 HT thread - moderators: feel free to delete the benchmark posts above.
    Last edited by pointwood; 12-04-2002 at 11:16 AM.
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Release All Zigs!

Originally posted by pointwood
    I would then recommend installing it as a service and then use the dfGUI to monitor it
    That works too. Running as a service is great if you are not going to interact with it much, such as running on multiple machines say like in a lab or office. Else its easier to keep as a regular program. =)

RS½