Thread: 2nd Prime Found!

Talking 2nd Prime Found!

At 0349 GMT Tuesday, 03 December 2002, a second probable prime was reported to our server! This prime has over 45% more digits than the prime found just 6 days ago... 305,190 in all!

65567*2^1013803+1 is prime!

Details are now posted on the site: http://www.seventeenorbust.com/

Look like we're down to 15 already. This is amazing... great work everyone!

-Louie

Re: 2nd Prime Found!

My deepest congratulations to all of the SB team members.

still waiting for the next one

Payam

WOOOOOO!

Now we can (unofficially) become FoB!

EDIT: Does this mean that Team BeOS will finally get their GUI?
    Last edited by Halon50; 12-04-2002 at 01:06 AM.

EDIT: Does this mean that Team BeOS will finally get their GUI?
    I would love to see TeamBeOS be #1!

In fact, I'll make you a deal. If you guys become the #1 contributing group, I'll make a GUI for the BeOS client.

-Louie
    I don't see that happening any time soon...

Congrats on the find, though!

Originally posted by Xyzzy
    I don't see that happening any time soon...

Congrats on the find, though!

Congrats.

As many tests are Beyond has been chewing through, it was only a matter of time.

Just wondering Payam,

How did you know this before it was announced? Did you do the Primility test?

Also, now it's a proven prime, did anyone test if it divides a GF ?

I still feel that we should test all remaining numbers n <=1013803
    in 65567*2^1013803+1 to prove that this number is a keller prime.
    That should not be a big task because all the numbers were assigned and clients wll return most of the results (but because k is removed from server, server doen not accept these results?)

Yours,

Nuutti

Louie had kindly informed me when its primality test was %50 done.

>>>>
    Also, I have very recent and very great news! We are about to become 15 or bust! We had another positive PRP submission a few hours ago and are over 50% complete running it though proth and another custom program to verify the prime. This is very exciting but please don't speak publicly about it until all has been confirmed and we can make an official announcement. Expect it to come by at least this time tomorrow.
    Exciting stuff. :-)
    <<<<

Payam
    Last edited by Samidoost; 12-04-2002 at 05:16 AM.

Way to go Beyond!
    Congratulations.

Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It Tax Bracket's Avatar
    Beyond

Sieve it, baby!

Beyond

Is this going to be the weekly prime celebration?!?
    Hm, I wonder what I'm doing in spring, when all k's are sorted out...

P.S.: @Beyond:
    You should change "Cedi Aplha 35" - a lot of ppl will come visit this site. Hope your inet connection takes it.

This is extreme!!!:shocked:

I have no other option than to write an articel for my college magazine now! (that cold breeze you are feeling in your neck? Perhaps you underestimated team CampusHafnia!) - Anyone sitting with another prime up their sleeve they wan't to anounce before i start typinng?

It's really fun feeling that something is happening now!

Congrats!

Wow! 2 Primes within a week!

Congrats to TeamBeOS for getting this one

Confused

I think that it is possible that we will find one prime more during this year. It is likely that there is one prime between n = 2^20 =1,048,576 and 2^21 = 2,097,152
    But more than one is highly unlikely.

And about project milestones. I think that when we have checked all numbers n less than n = 2^20 =1,048,576 is one milestone and when we have checked up 2^21 = 2,097,152 is another.

Yours,

Nuutti

Congrats Beyond Welcome to the club!

Two down!
    Join us at www.Team-TNT.net

Stop by & NEF with us!

Sieve it, baby!
    Hey, where are the new users attracted by these results?!?

The count hasn't moved significantly in the last day!

Hey, where are the new users attracted by these results?!?
    /me raises hand-
    I came in just after the news of the 1st prime was released

Congrats Beyond

BTW, how about testing n>1013803 for k=65567 trying to find the largest non-Mersenne prime? Is this on agenda?

I still feel that we should test all remaining numbers n <=1013803
    in 65567*2^1013803+1 to prove that this number is a keller prime.

largest non-Mersenne

It is only a matter of time before this project discovers the largest non-Mersenne prime! Once the exponents being searched pass 1,343,170, all numbers tested will have over 404,337 digits, the number of digits in the curently largest known non-Mersenne prime. Judging from the SoB stats page, that could well be before the end of the month!
    (The current status of largest known primes is at:
    http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/largest.html)

Of course we could continue to search higher exponents n for 65567, but the only thing special about this k-value is that prime values of 65567*2^n + 1 are sparse. Why not search the other 15 sparse k-values instead, and thereby progress in the Sierpinski search? The beauty of this project, is that it will probably find the largest known Proth prime without even aiming specifically for that goal. When exponents pass 1,398,269, which is the exponent of Mersenne prime number 35, the next discovery will surpass GIMPS record for the 5th largest prime.

What is the chance someone else will find a larger non-Mersenne prime first? Certainly a larger generalized Fermat prime (b^(2^n) + 1) could show up any day, and Manfred Toplic is currently testing Proths of the form 3*2^n+1 with n near 1.5 million. Also, John Cosgrave is testing Proths of the form 5*2^n+1 with n near 2.1 million. Both of these researchers are hoping that they might find a factor of a Fermat number that way. But I think that with the computing power of this project, it will eventually discover the largest non-Mersenne prime, and I would guess that this discovery will come sooner rather than later. Way to go!

Finding Fermat Factors

Originally posted by philmoore
    What is the chance someone else will find a larger non-Mersenne prime first? Certainly a larger generalized Fermat prime (b^(2^n) + 1) could show up any day, and Manfred Toplic is currently testing Proths of the form 3*2^n+1 with n near 1.5 million. Also, John Cosgrave is testing Proths of the form 5*2^n+1 with n near 2.1 million. Both of these researchers are hoping that they might find a factor of a Fermat number that way. But I think that with the computing power of this project, it will eventually discover the largest non-Mersenne prime, and I would guess that this discovery will come sooner rather than later. Way to go!
    I'm slightly hesitant at suggesting this after recent accusations of "stealing" k's, but wouldn't it be cool to integrate the Fermat factor search into SoB? Obviously this is outside the current aims of the group but I assume the program would handle it no problem. Maybe John and Manfred could be contacted?

Re: Finding Fermat Factors

wouldn't it be cool to integrate the Fermat factor search into SoB?
    This is the best suggestion for this project.

But it is needed first to wait for the project to reach at least to exponents near the bust limit n=10,000,000 and if it was not able to reach to its basic goals, then the best solution will be attacking Proth numbers with small multiplier.

It is a well known theorem of Keller:
    The probablity for a proth prime k*2^n+1 to be a Fermat factor is 1/k.

The year 2001 was a record in all the history of Fermat numbers, as there were found 22 new Fermat factors. (I am extremely proud of belonging to the list)

SB could create another record in the year 2003.
    If Louie accepts this suggestion, then the year 2003 will be our record breaking year.

Payam

PS. correction: John is working on k=3, Manfred on k=5
    PPS. Also I am currently working on k=7, 9 (unpublished) and all the two digit k's.

Re: Re: Finding Fermat Factors

I think this discussion needs a new thread

Payam

BTW, how about testing n>1013803 for k=65567 trying to find the largest non-Mersenne prime? Is this on agenda?
    Like others said, we will soon be testing numbers which ar larger than the largest non mersenne.

It's more efficient to search for numbers with a fixed N instead of a fixed K, since sieving is more efficient so less numbers need to be tested.

Originally posted by Samidoost
    Louie had kindly informed me when its primality test was %50 done.

>>>>
    Also, I have very recent and very great news! We are about to become 15 or bust! We had another positive PRP submission a few hours ago and are over 50% complete running it though proth and another custom program to verify the prime. This is very exciting but please don't speak publicly about it until all has been confirmed and we can make an official announcement. Expect it to come by at least this time tomorrow.
    Exciting stuff. :-)
    <<<<

Payam
    So, what happened? Did it turn out to be a pseudo-prime, or are you still checking?
    EatMaDust

Stop Microsoft turning into Big Brother!
    http://www.againsttcpa.com

Way to go Beyond!
    Colin Thompson

So, what happened? Did it turn out to be a pseudo-prime, or are you still checking?
    http://www.seventeenorbust.com/press2.txt

philmoore et al

Thanks for your kind explanation. Please note that I'm just a number theory newbie while I suspect some of you guys are professionals After reading more about the project I realized that indeed for some k's the candidates are being checked up to n=3M so if a prime is found for one of those k's we'll both reduce the number of k's and find the largest non-Mersenne prime.

It is only a matter of time before this project discovers the largest non-Mersenne prime! Once the exponents being searched pass 1,343,170, all numbers tested will have over 404,337 digits, the number of digits in the curently largest known non-Mersenne prime.
    By the way, with respect to the following

It's more efficient to search for numbers with a fixed N instead of a fixed K, since sieving is more efficient so less numbers need to be tested.
    I'll appreciate if you can kindly direct me to the pages where I can learn more about the sieving and other related algorithms. Thanks in advance.

I would be interested in the aforementioned links (if they exist) as well.