Thread: Folding@home -- Direct or BOINC version ?

Blog Entries

Question Folding@home -- Direct or BOINC version ?

Gang,
    Please forgive me having to ask. I've been away on medical and am just returning.

I am interested in FAH via boinc since this laptop/firewall software/DSL modem firewall does not cleanly support the needs of FAH directly installed software.

I spend the day defining the ports and would often get error #2 or #5. I did manage to see 'core_78' get downloaded, but never got any work to come through.

I have a Thomson DSL modem with a strict firewall. If it's possible to do FAH using AVG (not a problem to configure) and the Thomson, then I'll do it.

I'm interested in the FAH because they seem (please update me if wrong) to be the only ones handling Multiple Sclerosis (MS). My daughter-in-law was recently diagnosed and her meds are some $9000/month. I would love to see this one, due to personal bias, made better for her and all victims of the condition.

Would someone be kind enough to either:

a) give me an idea about the port usage (I did follow the faq for fah w/o success) and config for the FAH client? I know we are team 768 and have all the info from the sticky, but it did not work on the Vista platform. Linux is not an issue at all for me, just Vista.

b) have the URL of the FAH BOINC side ? Do we have a FAH team ?

Lastly, What is our current 'project of focus' ??

With great thanks in advance,
    C.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

I don't think F@H on BOINC ever got further than experimental/developmental. Check this link. No news since 2006 and the page was last updated in August 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    b) have the URL of the FAH BOINC side ? Do we have a FAH team ?
    I've been crunching FAH-BOINC-beta n the past as it was running, and I was one of the lucky ones to get access to the secret forum part @FAH for the test.
    It was done in 2005, I don't know the version number of the BOINC-client any more, but the wrapper technology wasn't as good as it is now.

They had done quite good imho as far as they went, but then suddenly no further development went on and no questions were answered in the forum.

The last post by Vijay Pande on 28. August 2006 in the secret forum part was this:
    We have not dropped BOINC, but there are several things that have to go out first (GPU client, PS3 client, v6). Considering how much we need to do with those and the relative benefit to FAH, the BOINC client will not be out any time soon. I'll post when there is an update, but if I don't post, it means there's nothing I can say. Abhay has graduated and moved on (that's the staffing issue I refered to on the BOINC faq).

Professor Vijay S. Pande, PhD
    Director, Folding@Home Distributed Computing Project, and Associate Professor of Chemistry and of Structural Biology, Stanford University
    The URL was this: http://fah-boinc.stanford.edu/

I have to agree, that PS3 and GPU crunching were probably more successful and worthier targets than BOINC, but I havn't heard of any new try since.
    Yoyo was asked several times to include FAH in his project, but he declined because FAH doesn't need a bigger push and a cooperation didn't seem probable with all those hastility in the forum.
    In the open forum some of the participants and mods showed a very hostile mood towards anything related to BOINC. Every reference to the test was either deleted or moved to the secret part, where the posters had no access.
    The general feeling for us Boincies was clearly that of unwanted intruders.
    Last edited by Saenger; 11-16-2009 at 06:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Got it....... 5.03 vs 6.23 in Vista SP2 + updates + special circumstances.

Grüße!

Alles ist endlich im Ordnung. Ich habe 5,03 FAH gefunden. 6,23 arbeitet nicht bei Vista SP2.

Ich werde weiter bei Folding@Home schreiben.

Tschüß
    Chuck

[English] and more detail

Gang, Sänger said just what I needed to hear and think through.... hence ending up with the previous version (graphical too) of FAH from Stanford:

Version 6.23 of the FAH client does not play with Vista SP2 + updates if you use a non MS firewall AND have a SPI firewall modem on your DSL/cable.

I will copy/repost as I find the next level(s) of info so as to augment the formal client configuration sticky in place for new versions/updates from MS / linux (if linux info is needed).

Look forward to being part of the family again. It's been a long road back and feels good.

Future major 'discoveries' will be posted under F@H where they belong.

Thanks to all, I'm fortunate to have such friends and am very thankful

Dafür muß ich mich bedanken.

C.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<