Thread: Just wondering.......

Just wondering.......

Why are no new tests assigned for K=44131

Is another primility test in progress?

Sieve it, baby!
    Too early for the weekly prime sensation...

It is the same symptom as the previous 2 finds.
    So we can hope!

I didn't see that before it was announced there was a prime.

Hope it's another one, although it can make the next find take a lot longer.

If another one is found, then the primes are found earlier then is expected.

Well... did anybody expect that kind of CPU-firepower we have at the moment?

It would be fascinating to find two such big primes so (relatively) close to each other. Perhaps we should define them twin sierpinski primes

Well... did anybody expect that kind of CPU-firepower we have at the moment?
    With early i meant low N, not that it's so soon after the others.

And if (it's just a wild assumption, only based on something that could be a bug in one of the update scrips) there is a prime, there is a fairly large range it can be in, so it doesn't have to be close to the last one.

and here i thought people might not even notice that we weren't assigning new n values. needless to say, look for my next thread.

-Louie

Sieve it, baby!
    Ok, smh, you were right...

It's surpising that nothing gets un noted on the internet. This time it was me, but i remember a couple of years back when GIMPS found one of their primes (their 3rd i think). It was on the primenet status page for a short while before it was removed from there until it was verified on different hardware with different software (and hard/software were a bit slower that time so it took a bit longer).

Members from the GIMPS mailing list digged through various log files to find out which number was the lucky one.

I jumped the harsh gun of impatience...
    Last edited by Vato; 12-07-2002 at 04:18 PM.

22699 and even more 67607 are values of K with a low weight.

A lot of N's are divisible by low prime numbers, so there are less numbers to test.

Of course, all the remaining numbers have a low weight.

you can calculate the weight of a proth number on this site

Sieve it, baby!
    Maybe (and really only maybe) k=22699 is the next one. It's n value is 1,500 behind the highest upper bound. That means either there have been no further pendings or those are already returned - which i doubt, to be frank.
    Third possibility: They are withholded - by error or knowlingly (or maybe a stats error?)...

I just compared the momentary pending stats to those 15 minutes ago:
    All running k's (except 22699 and 69109) increased the upper bound by ~200-650 - so 1,500 is quite a big gap...

69109 has to make a 700 jump, but I think that's still within range...

Of course, that can change and I'm wrong, I just want to create some tension.
    Plus, it's a unique chance to become a SB fortune teller. Fear me, Nostradamus!

Sieve it, baby!
    False alert.