Thread: READ BEFORE POSTING -> Server Updates

Server Updates

All the server updates are in place, if you notice any bugs with the new web page or problems with the server please post them here.

-Alien88

okay.. not yet.
    Last edited by Alien88; 12-08-2002 at 06:45 PM.

we have run into problems we didn't expect. fortunately, it looks like we can correct them.

the server should come up sometime tonight. it's very close to working and going public. i'll post again here when it's done. try not to hammer the site too hard, just watch the thread here.

i appologize for those who haven't been able to connect for the past couple hours but when you see the site improvements, i think you'll agree it was worth it.

-Louie

the website is up. we are still touching up stats and a few display issues but look around for an idea of general format. things should be almost all correct in a few hours... we're mostly down to formatting changes.

the good news is that the server has been recieving and assigning blocks for awhile now and all seems well with the new system.

email me in a few days if you notice a formatting error that we don't get around to today.

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/

-Louie

Thumbs up

Looks Great. Some of the stats are still pretty interesting, especialy the overall work done and P90 comparisons. Great Job!

Thumbs up Looking good.

Looks great.

The project stats are a great new feature.

The stats summary (daily and overall tables) for each stats section also are great. P-90 cpu years and estimated mhz count are also really cool.

I like the site design (again, I loved the previous one, this one is even nice, for the stats).

One really nice feature is under the teams, it lists the whole roster, but it lists the average/current/overall production of each member. This is a great feature for team members/leaders.

The only complaint/request that I have is to bring back the little link on the individual stats page (the top 10 lists for each category) that lets you expand it to the top 100.

This is great for those of us in the top 100 to get a better view of the overall production comparisons rather than just the 3 people near us.

Anyways, great new features, my client had died due to lack of work but appears to have gotten a new block and looks happy.

Thumbs up guys!

Looks Great,

But it seems the project stats are rather old. For example 27653 has over 100 tests pending, while last night it was only 35 or so. Also, the upper bounds of some exponents are much lower compared to last night.

I also have problems logging on to the site. I never created an account, but when i try to it says 'smh' already exists. So i wonder, what is the default password? I tried all passwords i ever use, but no luck.

[Mon Dec 9 02:39:44 2002] server had no record of proth test

I haven't maneged to connect since.

The cardinal sin of DC is to lose work and leave machines idle.

What happened to the "3rd prime found" news?

It seems that this peice of news has been removed from the site. Is this a mistake or are you waiting for an official release?

dropping data

OK here are my symptoms.

1. No work submitted since 4pm EST yesterday. The sever went down at 6:30pm and came up (I think) at 2:30am. I had 2 machines running the whole time.

2. I was at 3 GcEM and now I'm at 2.

3. I can't log into the site, although my account does exist.

I've done web/db updates before, and I know it's a pain. Usually still fixing bugs a week later. But how you guys managed to lose data both before and after the update is beyond me.

I'm taking my machines offline until they stop being space heaters.

This is from update news page :
    Web Accounts: All users now have passwords they can use to log onto the website and change their preferences. New passwords will be emailed to all users on 9 December 2002. Note that you DO NOT NEED this password to run the SB client; ONLY to access protected features of the website

So lets wait when Dave and Louis wake up. I think that time is
    6:36:49 AM right now in midwest USA.

One of my clients had problems with connecting. I restarted it and after that it connected normally.
    Yours,

Nuutti

the actual number server was up since around midnight.

there were a few "lost blocks" because we accidently started the new server with a bad database import (twice ) and had to wipe the db and restore. so there were about ~20 blocks assigned that had to be discarded. i'm sorry that happened. the database is correctly imported into the new db layout so that shouldn't happen again. i'll watch the log for errors, but i don't expect any more of that.

as things stand now, the server still has a few bugs. i also know that the times in stats are in EST and not CST. i'll fix that.

dudlio mentions that he didn't see his stats right away. they were not lost. we have logs of all blocks that were finished. two queries in the server had fields mis-matched so the data isn't showing up on the graphs yet. that bug was fixed a little after 3am and i'll go back and update the "missing" blocks soon. again, none of your work was lost.

don't sign up for new accounts to get access to the site. as the upgrade page says, we are going to have automated emails sent out giving you temp passwords to your accounts. if your account had a bad email, you'll have to email me and convince me to add a real one for you. i'll only do that if your account has a totally bad email and I have some reason to believe you are who you say you are.

also, once you have these passwords, some of you will be team admins. if you were the first person to submit a block for a team, then you are now that team's owner. there will soon be a way to transfer control to other members on the team if those of you who were first don't want to be the owners. we are also thinking about making a "merge" feature that will let teams combine into a single, larger team. that will be helpful for those who submitted misspelled team blocks when the team name in the client was still used. i'm sure you guys will find more uses for it too. and just so it's really clear, it is no longer important what your team name is in the client. it is ignored by the server. the only way to join/change teams now is online. by default, you are on the team you last submitted work for before the switch over. once you have passwords, you can change teams if you want.

you'll all get passwords sent to you soon so watch your emails. i'll post a message here again when they go out so you'll know if you need to email me with a real address.

the server upgrades haven't gone as smoothly as they could have, but the payoff is big since now the site is way better and the server/database are 1000x better. thanks a lot for being patient during the switchover.

oh, and no, the third prime is not on the news just because we haven't reposted it. when we do, we'll probably post the username of the user who found it.

-Louie
    Last edited by jjjjL; 12-09-2002 at 07:49 AM.

The site is down, my clients are stopped. Pretty much a slam dunk
    Colin Thompson

no, the server is up. the website is not online. read the homepage for details. dave had to go to work but the server itself is running fine and recording everything. he just fixed some bugs and now it's better than ever. the stats and all will likely be online later tonight.

-Louie

My client had connection problems and I restarted it. After that it connected normally. (Like one minute ago)

Yours,

Nuutti

My clients still can't get work and the site is down for me.
    Colin Thompson

Sieve it, baby!
    Seems like there is a bug in the User statistic for "Overall work rate". When I do the math, it should be 340 times higher than it is now.
    I tried the stats of another member, too (Cyberwire in this case) - his value is even 405 times too low...

Slayer of Deer
    The last time I was able to check the webpage, I had done 1.5 gcEM/s total.

I'm still not able to view the page, but a friend in the UK was able to, so I had him check my stats. He told me it was 1.382 gcEM/s. How can I lose progress? Is this part of the "lost blocks" problem? Even so, I had submitted more after the webpage went down.

I was just wondering if I was one of the people that lost blocks and that's why my stats are messed up.

Brett
    Go TeAm Anandtech!

Okay.. there are still problems with stats, there are still problems with the server.

Please just wait for the new server to be up and running and for us to iron all the bugs out of it.. at that point I'll unlock this thread to resume posting.

Please dont post about website issues/bugs or create a new thread for it until then.

--
    Alien88