Thread: Transferring current score

Transferring current score

It can't be done, can it?

Not in Folding, I don't believe so. We left ours with the old team.

I didn't think so. Thanks.

Taking your score away from the team you contributed it too would be awfully unfair. Both to your old team, and to the teams competing against your new team.

I'd never participate in a project that allowed cheating in that manner.

How is it cheating? If go through all the hassle of running a DC client then the results are mine. Tell me why a team has more rights to the units I crunch than I do?

No, I think Seti has it right. Makes for a more dyynamic, exciting competition. Makes you value your team mates more as well.

Originally posted by badsac
    Tell me why a team has more rights to the units I crunch than I do?
    Your team has the to your results because its your team, thats why you joined it. As you are getting the advantage of teammates WUs when being on the team.

Is that not why you joined a team?

Recruitment of contributors would reach an alltime low if one were allowed to take their work with them. Keep in mind that it was your idea alone to join a team. So therefor you have basicly given up your rights to that WU. Keeping it fair in this manner is completely respectable.

Originally posted by Hinton

Your team has the to your results because its your team, thats why you joined it. As you are getting the advantage of teammates WUs when being on the team.

Is that not why you joined a team?
    I personally am getting absolutely no advantage from my teammates WU???? What a strange notion.

I joined the Ars teams to help them out in any little way I could, but they are not MY team. I don't own them. I have no say in the day to day running of those teams.

Every WU I crunch for whatever project is done for me, and to a lesser extent for the project I'm crunching for. To inflate my team's total comes in third in my priorities. Maybe that is because I'm only a very small producer. I choose to help out whichever teams by letting them add my totals to theirs. But they are still my WU's. They always will be.

If a team is full of good guys who have helped me out heaps in the past, then I'll be very hesitant to remove my units, partly because in some way they are relying on them and since I care about them I'd be feeling like I was letting them down. But that doesn't change the fact they are my units.

Maybe I'm a poor team player. But there it is.

Shadicus, I completely disagree that I have given up my units by joining a team. There is nothing in the act of joining a team that states that any units you crunch while being part of a team means that those units belong to them. If there was then there should be big warning signs and a legal document everyone should have to sign.

As for the recruitment of contributors reaching an alltime low if one were allowed to take their work with them, well, it's never hurt Seti has it? In my opinion it made that competition better.

I have to go with badsac on this, as i have done before ,
    It is my power bill that as provided the said units, my computers, and my time.... I regard them as mine.... no one elses, and as said, it has never stopped Seti being the biggest project, so i'm sure a lot of people agree...

Ok so my point was missed. Understandable. I spent the better part of yesterday watching everone either praise or fault the "Founding Crunchers" of Free-DC. With this I have gained an understanding that I wish all newbies were privy to.

I admire you all for the numbers I have seen, small producer or otherwise. I find myself scrounging / whoring any cycle I can find now, AND IM LOVING IT!

Picking a team is a personal choice. Its kinda like that new girlfriend / boyfriend. You see something you want and so you go after it. The biggest appeal for a newbie is that a new team can start up and even the largest of producers are starting fresh. This gives one the impression that they can make a difference nomatter the number of boxen they are using.

By allowing one to take existing WU's you take away one of the major attractions for new blood. This would also offer a protal to completely disregard any sence of monogamy towards the team you chose.

Im sure theres more too this but please forgive me... I just woke up.

Well, I have thought about this long and hard... Here is how I see it.

If the project is/was setup so that the person who did the crunching could take their work with them...

If that person became disenchanted, they could leave and take the points with them

However...

If that person wanted to join a new team, but was still loyal to the previous team, then leaving thew points with the old team is the only way to go.

It's a hard decision to make, and only some projects allow you take them with you like luggage, and there are other projects you can't, and have to start over with a new team and new points to build.

Good luck in all your decisions, whatever you decide

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    taking ones work results with them is an indication that stats are the priority not the research. so why bother if stats is all you are interested in

I tend to agree. It doesn't matter where the work units/stats lay.

The whole object is research for a cause. With folding@home, you as an person retain your total points no matter what team you joined or will join.

As long as you are in the top 1,000 your score will reflect all your work units. See stats here.

Here is a current production chart with your current team. Note, this is with the team I'm currently folding with.

Production
    Folding 24/7 for a cause
    www.hardCOREware.net
    HCW DF Team!

i get to CHOOSE ONE ??!!

Cool

Originally posted by dragongoddess
    taking ones work results with them is an indication that stats are the priority not the research. so why bother if stats is all you are interested in
    well of course the stats are the priority !!!! do you think i actually want LGM in Alient Rape Ships to come find me ??!!??!!

and besides - y`all need to look at this more like professional sporting stats. the players with the higher "abilities" are the ones pulling down multi-million dollar contracts. would make "courting " the likes of the svdsinners and the Crunchus Maximuses all the more appealing.

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    well berg if the little green men come down here to add you to their chili then you are out of luck. On the other hand its hard for the individual to compete with those using the machines at their place of employment. Then again who needs stats except for a tax break
    grandmother. ver 3.0

i get to CHOOSE ONE ??!!

Cool

oh great -- now it's us "corporate farmers" too !!! anything else ...

Well, I think of it this way:

If you were to be a member of a sports 'team' and you were traded halfway through a season, or you retired, your team still has all the points you scored for them over that period.

I think that sums it up.

Unhappy

If that person wanted to join a new team, but was still loyal to the previous team, then leaving thew points with the old team is the only way to go.
    IronBits,

You are right, I feel I could not leave the team I am on and join you guys as much as I want to. I account for 4% of our team total over 100k Seti wu and this would drop the team in the team standings.

I created our G@H team and account for 80% of the total Wu
    and helped with the the creation of the F@H1 team.

So for me to leave I feel I would be letting alot of people down.

I have no problems with that and I respect you for it DerekC.

The rules for stats -- and the transfer of old WUs -- are going to be set by the project administrators.

SETI once said -- may still say -- that stats stay with the old team. In truth, it never worked that way and almost no one but we fanatics even care. The fact that the site said otherwise for at least a year that I know about speaks volumes about how vital this question is.

There's two major groups -- the fanatics (us) and the rest. The rest are more numerous, but we tend to produce about ten fold per person or better compared to them. On a project F@H sized, fanatics may even outproduce the casuals (look at the team stats for an idea of what's what here in the projects).

For the project admins, stats have a couple of goals:

1. Attract those motivated by stats. This is not unworthy.
    2. Use them to provide incentives to run the project in a more congenial fashion to the administrators. More may be done in this area over time than is done today. And, in fact, the forays in this area are the stuff of controversy and legend, but it has happened (witness G@H and its famous change of WU acceptance criteria as reflected in stats and SETI's 3.03 client changeover that made today's units worth about half the value of old ones).
    3. Use them to help understand or uncover fraud or client errors. SETI is the master of this last thing.

Notice that "moving stats between teams" doesn't really make the chart. It only matters, and that only a little, to fanatics. It's just not going to be a big swinger in DC project design.

I have to agree with BNS here, I can't think of any sport where stats are tracked that would take a players stats from one team to the next (doesn't mean there aren't any). Jerry Rice's carear stats didn't transfer over to the Raiders when he changed teams to make him the career leader in everything receiving with the Raiders and not the 49er's. He still has all the records under his name but two different sets of stats for the two teams he played for.

Just my 2 cents

Team sports in real life is a bad analogy. When you're playing with a crap football team, it doesn't matter how good you are, you will never get statistics as good as you would if you played in a good team that you gelled with because the support from your team mates which you depend on is not there.

In DC it doesn't make one iota of difference how your teammates perform. You will perform the same and you statistics will reflect that. I'm a crap producer and nothing you lot do will change that. If we all go play football, and you lot can't stop running into each other, then you certainly are going to make me look like crap (relatively).

It's a big difference in my eyes.

When you're playing with a crap football team, it doesn't matter how good you are, you will never get statistics as good as you would if you played in a good team that you gelled with because the support from your team mates which you depend on is not there.
    I agree completely. There is no question here in my opinion.

In DC it doesn't make one iota of difference how your teammates perform
    Again I'll go with this in you only have so many boxes, however,

I'm a crap producer and nothing you lot do will change that
    This I have to diagree with. Without the Ars or now the Free-DC forums and teammates I know I wouldn't be producing the numbers I am today. They have helped with setup, maintaining and upgrading my outputs so I feel my teammates have helped me greatly to perform better. If I had been in some little team of nonames just creating a team for the heck of it would I have gotten the same help from them?

This is more like 4cents isn't it?

Closer to a buck 50 if you ask me.

Well I don't know. This lot might have helped you produce more. But I must be a special case. You lot need to try a bit harder to make me look good.