Thread: CPU-usage and the enviroment

Lightbulb CPU-usage and the enviroment

As an eviromental idealist, I have been wondering a bit about the power use of CPU's after joining SoB.

Does anybody have an idea how much more power a working CPU uses compared to one that just hangs around doing whatever it does when it is not used.

It must take some energy to make the CPU run SoB all the time, since the CPU gets more heated than else and heat is power.

Another thing I have been wondering about is whether using the CPU 100% all the time, makes its lifetime shorter?

It could be interesting to do some calculations on how much it power this project uses.

Your CPU is designed to run at 100% usage, all the time. Any decrease in a processor's life span will probably only be due to inproper cooling.

A modern CPU at full power will use about 70W of power at full, and probably about 50W (at a guess) at "idle" (a processor doen't "idle", there is always something going on within the processor)

I personally have paid money for my processor power, and therefore i don't WANT it to sit not using all the power, and so i run currently SB on it, previously I ran Seti@home

Confused
    Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be!
    Futile resistance is, hmm? Yes!

I guess the extra power comes from the CPU takes other circuits in use, and sends more around on the motherboard while doing proth tests, than when it just keeps on sending STOP messages to itself (which is what it does when there is idle time awailable)... it makes sense to me, that the STOP procedure is more simple, than all other procedures used in a loop.

And since the CPU gets overheated, it will begin to deteriota faster, as more electrons pushes things around in there (I guess). But on the other hand; the computer gets outdated (for most people) long before the CPU reaches unstable stages (unless it is overclocked), and the RAM goes before the CPU, and at that time, they probably have new PIN and socket standards on motherboards, so you would have to change you CPU anyhow...

God jul Arne.
    Mevs Tarje

As long as your CPU is cooled correctly overheating should not be a problem.

I kind of wish it would ruin my cpu or ram, because then I would have the excuse I need to buy a better cpu or ram. ;-)

/me says to Fiance "oops, I dont know how that fan got unplugged. I guess I will have to buy a new processor."
    Last edited by Emporor; 12-09-2002 at 05:45 PM.