Thread: Next client change - christmas ahead

Next client change - christmas ahead

Howard,
    would it be possible to give a clear statement when the next client change will take place? Many people over here fold offline and intend to go for vacation over christmas time. It would be good to know in advance whether offline folding is an option or not. In the latter case we could simply run another dc project and join back in January.

Michael. (away from 17th 12 2002 to 4th 01 2003)
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

We will change proteins when we reach 10 billion as always. At the current rate, it seems we've got 3-4 weeks from now, so probably early next year.
    Howard Feldman

at the current rate , we should hit 10 billion on new year's day
    jan 7 is the tuesday following
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Anything new about protein change ???

With the current rate we finish within the next two to three days. So the next tuesday after reaching 10 billion would be the 31 of december.

Lars

haven't heard anything from howard on this, my money is still on jan 7th

but howard could announce something over the weekend i suppose, or even monday
    Use the right tool for the right job!

Yep, I'll aim for Dec. 31 I think, provided we're at 10 billion - that'll be a fresh start for the New Year. It'll get rid of those huge error.logs for the people who didnt manually grab the patch too, so I dont want this one to drag out too long. Remember you always have 24-48 hrs to 'turn in results' though (half credit from 24-48 hrs).
    Howard Feldman

Howard,

I know you want to get the new protein out to the masses, but is there anyway to wait a week? The 31st isnt the easiest day for many people to handle an update. Many folks wont be at work to take care of work farms or to get cached structures sent in time. I would think many people would lose a lot of work by not being able to send/update for a week after the change over, basically losing however many days of work they had cached before the 31st and all the structures done between the 31st and the 6th when people get back to work.

Knowing that many of the folks over at Team Endeavor run farms at work including myself, I would recommend setting the changeover date to January 7th. My office closes early on Tuesday and is closed Wednesday for New Years Day. I know many other folks are on vacation or on holiday schedules that would make a changeover on December 31st a tough situation. Of course if we don't reach the 10 billion goal by Tuesday then this is all a moot point anyway!

Thanks Howard for a great project and Happy New Year!

Catdaddy63 -- Team Endeavor

Howard . . .you "will" email us (as usual) when the changeover happens won't you?

Jammy

Originally posted by Brian the Fist
    Yep, I'll aim for Dec. 31 I think, provided we're at 10 billion - that'll be a fresh start for the New Year. It'll get rid of those huge error.logs for the people who didnt manually grab the patch too, so I dont want this one to drag out too long. Remember you always have 24-48 hrs to 'turn in results' though (half credit from 24-48 hrs).
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I agree, waiting a week with the changeover would be nice!
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Another vote for waiting another week before updating, i can't update work machines until Jan7 and i'm sure i'm not the only one...

Boinc'ing away
    Waiting a week would be very nice

I have several work PCs (which took a bit of effort to get folding) which I won't get to until Friday at the earliest...if we update tomorrow then the work done on them won't be off any use (as it'll be outside the 48 hour limit)...and I probably won't get to use them (for folding) again in the future

Did i mention that the machines i can't update are running without internet connection (or maybe that's a given -> they wont autoupdate)

Anyways, Happy new Year

Ok, very well, next week it is then. Jan. 7. Now I dont need to come to work tomorrow
    Howard Feldman

Thanks!!

Happy new Year!! and enjoy the day off!

Ok, very well, next week it is then. Jan. 7. Now I dont need to come to work tomorrow
    Thanks Howard,

I was going to have to drive 20 miles into work tomorrow just to upload my laptop and then come home.

Now I can nurse my hangover before starting to drink again

Have a good New Year.

Regards

Andy

Boinc'ing away
    Cheers Howard

Happy New Year to all

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Thanks a lot Howard
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Howard, you are the best!

This is my idea of responsivness

Thank You Howard for listening and helping!

Your project just keeps offering what no one else has...
    ~~~~ Just Passin' Through ~~~~

Whenever the change, I have dedicated my XP 1900 and XP 2200 to df because your project is the easist to maintain and besides that, it is a worthy cause!

I wish you a Happy New Year Howard!

Jammy

p.s. Ya know . . .I have entirely forgot how to run the client with switches, lol, since I use Jeff's dfGUI now . . .

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib