Thread: RNA World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    Might last a few days if we could get them out of your server Michael
    All I seem to get is like 1 WU maybe every 10 Min And thats for a quad
    Why make the nods Wait 10 min to return for a WU that runs for a Min or less
    Other projects alow WU's to be sent when there done and not wait the 10 min
    like RNA does
    The server is already overwhelmed. Allowing a shorter back-off time would only make that worse.

But by not sending out the very short tasks at all, that should really improve the load on the server. And that should allow for shorter back-off times.

Correct! I increased the time between requests to 20 minutes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
    Correct! I increased the time between requests to 20 minutes
    I guess I will pull off this project then 20 min is a True waste of my cycles
    That should help with your sever load

Please just add another project in parallel. That will allow us to complete this set of WUs (which in fact is an extremely cool project, just read our scientific objectives section on this series) and your machines won't go idle as well. In the meantime, the important Linux x64 CMC set will be completed (it is nearly done now) and thereafter we will have plenty of long WUs plus I will add the first analyses of the human genome which are currently in preparation.

Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    Please just add another project in parallel.
    Michael.
    RNA is one of 5 projects that I am running now at the same time
    Look below at my sig

But I have noticed that RNA on some Nodes Runs like a weak puppy
    and lets other projects eat up most of the power

I was Not going to Detach from RNA But rather pull back on the amount of the power ported to RNA
    I got the feeling by the response time from your Server that it was being overwhelmed
    Turning down my power would Fix it I can pump out a lot of bytes from my Garage

Blog Entries
    Michael

Results ready to send 1 we need more work

Results in progress 1,585

Workunits waiting for validation 13,296 are these all mine

What a pile !

I see over 40,000 results (tasks?) still waiting for validation, but that's about half of what it was yesterday, so the validator is crunching its way through the pile of work you gave it.

The length of the WUs is ridiculous, and to increase the time between requests is an insult.

I watched 8 or 10 WU start to download last night. The first 6 were done and uploaded before the others even finished downloading.

There's something basically wrong with their design if they can't produce a WU that lasts for more than 30 seconds.

Michael - I looked at your reference in the wiki about the current project -
    Project: CRISPR

* The CRISPR elements are part of a prokaryotic defence system directed against external attacks by e.g. viruses and may be viewed as a simple immune system of microorganisms.

By employing RNA World to systematically screen organisms for the presence of the various types of this defence machinery, we hope to acquire important information on the global distribution and varieties of this system. There is an enormous repertoire of potential applications to the results of such analyses ranging from the improvement of industrially relevant microbial food production to novel ways of coping with multi-drug resistant pathogenic bacteria.
    How is this supposed to explain why the WUs have to be so short???? Can you explain this in humanly understandable English?

They already explained it, and a fix is in the works. Did you not read the post where they said that they are going to apply a filter to avoid sending out the very short tasks?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    They already explained it, and a fix is in the works. Did you not read the post where they said that they are going to apply a filter to avoid sending out the very short tasks?
    Not trying to be pissy here :

I don't see that they explained WHY the WUs were so short, nor is there any resolution in place at this time.

I see Michael has sort of explained it now as "low complexity".

I find it interesting that they didn't know up front that this batch of WUs would be so short. I would think that they would run some sort of basic sanity check on the WUs they were generating to see if they even worked before releasing them to the wild, and that would have revealed the short execution time problem.

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Angus "Not trying to get pissy here...." Oh really I think you are again.
    Now this project is still in TEST phase and thus short / long WU's will occur they need to test server load and balancing..
    What has WU Length got to do with ANYTHING anyway apart from wasting time waiting on the next one...
    Like Micheal has suggested paralleling it with other stuff, so maybe you should do just that and relax a little!
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    You got to remember This is still a Baby Project
    It is just stating to WU-lk on it's own
    You have to expect a stumble or two before it can run fast and smooth

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    How is this supposed to explain why the WUs have to be so short???? Can you explain this in humanly understandable English?
    Yes, it simply is a result of the low complexity of this WU series. Moreover, with these analyses it is pretty hard to say which WU will take a lot of time and which not unless you run a test simulation on each of these and even then the true results will vary from expectation.

Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.