Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RNA World

It is a German team, a German "Verein", and of course through that tradition a German HP. I don't expect the projects to have their Sites in German, French or any other main language from the beginning as well, English only if they are in some English speaking country is fine first, Spanish for Ibercivis, Dutch for Almere, Japanese for Tanpaku, whatever. It's fine to put some main content in English as well, and with RNA World there is too much English, far too little German now, but English does definitely not have to be the main language of all websites.

Concerning the off-site forum: RNA World and Yoyo@Home are not the only ones with this setup: WCG, Simap, Spinhenge, CPDN, FreeHal, Ibercivis ahve it, and even Folding@Home outside BOINC has the forum completely outsourced. The BOINC forum software is fine for Projects, that don't already have some software running or don't want to bother with a real forum software. But it definitely isn't as good as a real one, and I prefer only one forum per project, I don't like the CPDN setup, with two different fora.

@Angus: Well, that is a good point. Indeed, our organization, board and everything has always focused on the German language. That is because we are Germans and there are people out there that do not understand english. We initially represented a message board where a lot of the DC-related, mostly english, stuff was translated for those that do not understand it. What you see today - I mean the english parts of the wiki for example - is the result of the efforts of just a few months to translate it piece by piece - again on a voluntary basis. It will take quite some time to complete, I fear, but we are on it.

By contrast, for the RNA World project we setup dual language forums from the very beginning and I try to put important messages right into the BOINC built-in news feeder - mainly in english.

Michael.

P.S.: Concerning Rechenkraft.net e.V. status, since approx. 5 years we are an officially registered NGO, allowing donations made to us to be tax-deductible. We focus on supporting education, research and science by using networked computers.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Stats "adjusting" going on

Now yoyo is fiddling with the stats:

From a post on the RKN message board in the RNA section
    I increased your rac, so you can create a profile and check the pages.
    yoyo

I don't changed the stats, the credits are not touched!
    He is checking the russian translation. Therefore he want's to check if everything translated well, also for creating profiles. But profile creation is only possible with a rac>100 (to avoid spamming). Therefore I inceased his rac above it. I didn't change his credits or anything ones else. The rac will go down automatic in the next days if he doesn't crunch.

If you quote something, than please do not quote it without the context. This falsifies it.

And do not see in everything a complot.

What I can learn from you is to stop open communication, because you interpret everything as a conspiracy and you are falsifying the content as you need it.

yoyo

Quote Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
    I don't changed the stats, the credits are not touched!
    He is checking the russian translation. Therefore he want's to check if everything translated well, also for creating profiles. But profile creation is only possible with a rac>100 (to avoid spamming). Therefore I inceased his rac above it. I didn't change his credits or anything ones else. The rac will go down automatic in the next days if he doesn't crunch.

If you quote something, than please do not quote it without the context. This falsifies it.

And do not see in everything a complot.

What I can learn from you is to stop open communication, because you interpret everything as a conspiracy and you are falsifying the content as you need it.

yoyo
    The invalid RAC value is exported to every external stats site.

I don't care what the reason is - one players stats should not be increased on your whim - credit totals or RAC.

I reset this single rac this evening, when I'm back from office this evening, OK?
    yoyo

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Yoyo - I can see the need for that, need to check translations work 100% and look ok, we have a dev server for this so we can test mods to the stats and the like are working 100% might be worth a try to set up a development server if you can and test it on there with an import of the live data so that you can increase / decrease stats to check translations then migrate the php to live since you've tested it.

Micheal - I can understand that, I do know people who have trouble getting to grips with the english language and it's their primary language.

Angus - As Yoyo said please if your going to quote from somewhere else that the person reading may / may not visit at least post a link to the full story makes it a lot easier for people to understand.
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

Blog Entries
    Come On Guys let's have a
    Angus RNA is Still a Baby Please let them learn to stand and walk before you smack them down
    Remember You are Free-DC To Me that means something

Yoyo please do not let Angus make you feel this way
    You do play a important part in bringing more power to the DC world
    And I to hope you learn to evolve And bring competition back into the DC world

I am sorry AGAIN for this Rant But All This Bickering is starting to get to ME

The project isn't even open to the public yet, but it is being slammed.

What happened to trying to help people. I guess I missed something along the way.

The constant attacks are getting old and are starting to remind me of a vendetta.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Big Red, don't worry the admin team is on top of the situation and keeping an eye on everthing... Your right though.

The RNA World server migration is completed. Friday evening we started, Sunday around noon the new machine started sending out work units again. So far, we experienced no problems and with an Intel i7-920 Quad-Core, 12 GB of DDR3 RAM and a dual 1.5 TB RAID storage system the new server should not run into database issues again as was the case with the old one. We also changed everything from 32 to 64 bit which required quite some work.

Thanks a lot (!) to all donators and to Yoyo who finally put all of this quickly into practice.

We are currently running a larger set of test work units to check integrity of the system. Then we need to analyze the results in detail, and, if everything runs smoothly, we will start to allow more and more people to participate in a step-wise manner - just as a precaution to avoid server overload.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    nice job. All running smoothly here..

Bok

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael H.W. Weber View Post
    The RNA World server migration is completed.
    if everything runs smoothly, we will start to allow more and more people to participate in a step-wise manner -
    just as a precaution to avoid server overload.

Michael.
    I guess that leave me out for a bit
    I have been known void warranty's

Although we are still in testing mode and currently have few if any work units since we have to perform data analysis of our previous test runs, we have transiently opened RNA World registration without invitation code. I just wanted to let you guys know...

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm in.

Blog Entries
    Although we are still in testing mode and currently have few if any work units . I just wanted to let you guys know...

Michael.
    2/6/2010 7:49:56 PM RNA World Message from server: (Project has no jobs available)
    I put 1 node on to see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    2/6/2010 7:49:56 PM RNA World Message from server: (Project has no jobs available)
    I put 1 node on to see how it works
    I've got work!

Blog Entries
    scores are so low. 2 points over 2 hours. dis suxx
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    scores are so low. 2 points over 2 hours. dis suxx
    Ehm, using a ZX81 or what? No, scores are clearly in the normal range.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    I've got work!
    Ya but it only lasted a few Hrs and there out of work Again
    We Want Work We Want Work We Want Work

Website says more coming tomorrow. We'll just have to see how long it lasts.

Maybe you need to erm just put like 1 node on it and at a low ratio :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    Maybe you need to erm just put like 1 node on it and at a low ratio :P
    1 Node mmmm I don't think so I have a Fear of being run-over

Okay less than 50 nodes then :P

Well above 45,000 work units are in the process of being released today.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Well above 45,000 work units are in the process of being released today.

Michael.
    You better get a bunch more ready. Server status as of now only shows 1,100 ready to send.

That's cause lauren2u beat ya to the punch :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gopher_yarrowzoo View Post
    That's cause lauren2u beat ya to the punch :P
    Yep I spent a Hr here at first light waking up all the sleeping nodes
    And Getting then work to do
    All the little Nodes were up late getting all the signs painted

If they got more work I will go to full power Tonight
    And / Or we can shake out any bugs in the system

I see what you Mean I am outputting more then any Team is

#1 User - Lauren2u
    #1 Team - Free-DC

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I think you'll beat me to 100K....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    I think you'll beat me to 100K....
    Keep to the Right OR

Blog Entries
    Results ready to send 115
    Results in progress 13,949

I think I sucked them dry

When a project has (say) 100,000 tasks to send out, they don't usually make all 100k available at once. They set the ready-to-send queue at (say) 1k, and then refill it as needed, as tasks are sent out. So it may look like a project is almost out of work because the queue is so small. But not necessarily so.

It's out of work again. At this rate I'll never catch up. I guess it a good thing that they don't have a GPU app.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    When a project has (say) 100,000 tasks to send out, they don't usually make all 100k available at once. They set the ready-to-send queue at (say) 1k, and then refill it as needed, as tasks are sent out. So it may look like a project is almost out of work because the queue is so small. But not necessarily so.
    Like I said
    I think I sucked them dry
    I'm Out Of Work To
    And I have a Lot of Hungry Nodes to Feed
    And you all know how mean and grumpy Nodes get when there Hungry

If I don't get Something soon for them to crunch on, I will have to lock then all up for my own safety

Guys, just in short today (I am actually on a conference since yesterday where I advertise a bit for RNA World - there is HUGE interest): New work is on the sever. Indeed it starts processing new WUs only when a certain lower threshold of ready-made WUs available for send-out has been reached.
    On the weekend, I will release our full set of CMCALIBRATE work - but this time only for Linux boxes running on a 64 bit basis. Reason: The huge computational demands in RAM and run time. In parallel, I will release more CMSEARCH stuff for those that do not have these monster machines.
    But keep in mind: we are still in testing and that is why we sometimes experience WU shortage.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the weekend, I will release our full set of CMCALIBRATE work - but this time only for Linux boxes running on a 64 bit basis. Reason: The huge computational demands in RAM and run time. In parallel, I will release more CMSEARCH stuff for those that do not have these monster machines.
    But keep in mind: we are still in testing and that is why we sometimes experience WU shortage.

Michael.
    Why don't you create a GPU application to make very short work of these Monsters. It could be either for Nvidia or ATI cards. If you do this and need testing, let me know. I have both types.

Now let me see if I can get my boxes full before Laurenu2 drains them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Why don't you create a GPU application to make very short work of these Monsters. It could be either for Nvidia or ATI cards. If you do this and need testing, let me know. I have both types.
    It has already been done. Disappointingly, GPU processing is not applicable to our computational problem (as stated in our FAQ).

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the weekend, I will release our full set of CMCALIBRATE work - but this time only for Linux boxes running on a 64 bit basis. Reason: The huge computational demands in RAM and run time.
    Wouldn't 64bit Windows systems also be able to handle the but RAM and computational demands? My Win7 64bit system has no problem processing 6GB matrix multiplication running for weeks.

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Parasite View Post
    Wouldn't 64bit Windows systems also be able to handle the but RAM and computational demands?
    Yes, of course they would. But for other reasons, this time we need to specifically limit the run to Linux OS. I am thinking of sending in another series specifically for the 64 bit Windows machines later. We have to do some comparative analyses, that's why.
    It is actually quite impressive what throughput we achieve at present with having opened registration only a few days ago.

Michael.

- - - - - - - - - -

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast