Thread: Wrapper talk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wrapper talk

Has anyone noticed that although every other team is limited to one account, rechenkraft.net has 30+ members, and 20 actively racking up credits?

Nice way to scam the stats - start a project and only open it to your own members.

Similar to the way they got unsuspecting people to run dNET and a few other non-BOINC projects for the yoyo team.

Blog Entries
    You better watch it Angus
    The Project Gods will send you a bolt of WU's
    that will Crash your computer

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Has anyone noticed that although every other team is limited to one account, rechenkraft.net has 30+ members, and 20 actively racking up credits?

Nice way to scam the stats - start a project and only open it to your own members.
    Any new project uses the computer of there institute to make first test on the project. So also we did it. Or do you blame also Rosetta, SIMAP and WCG for this.

Similar to the way they got unsuspecting people to run dNET and a few other non-BOINC projects for the yoyo team.
    Not even 1 credit has gone to Rechenkraft.net team.

I really do not know why you are so hostile?
    If you do not like these projects, than you must not join

yoyo

What about all those people who were running the non-BOINC dNETclients, who were lured into switching to your BOINC wrapper client were not allowed to get credit under their existing dNET account and team, and all the points went to a "yoyo@home" account?

So, "yoyo@home" became a top team on dNET, instead of the users getting the points for their own team.

Recommend: stay FAR AWAY from any project that this "yoyo" character is involved in.
    Last edited by Angus; 01-11-2010 at 03:46 AM.

What about all those people who were running the non-BOINC dNETclients, who were lured into switching to your BOINC wrapper client were not allowed to get credit under their existing dNET account and team, and all the points went to a "yoyo@home" account?

So, "yoyo@home" became a top team on dNET, instead of the users getting the points for their own team.
    I explained that already several times.
    It must be avoided that a team/user gets credits twice, because there are stats sites (e.g. DV-Vault) which compares projects from both worlds.
    So either the team/user gets the credit in the Boinc world (in yoyo@home) or in the non-Boinc world (native dnet stats).

The intention of yoyo@home was to bring new users to the native project (e.g. dnet). Therefore it should be as for other Boinc projects, the team/user stats should be in the Boinc world.
    To ensure this I assigned all users in the native project to a dummy team,
    - which is NOT listed in DC-Vault,
    - which ensures, that I do not assign the useres to our Rechenkraft.net team sometimes in the future.

yoyo

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

From what I recall, yoyo attempted to work with dnet so that the points were credited to individual users on dnet itself, but they were unwilling to make this happen. It was impossible to achieve without their help.

Recommend: stay FAR AWAY from any project that this "yoyo" character is involved in.
    I, personally, think yoyo has done a great job with his projects and helping move BOINC itself forward.

Bok

Well. I don't agree.

The non-BOINC projects - dNET, MUON, etc. - should accumulate the stats on their site, in their native mode.

If yoyo can't accomodate that with his wrapper stuff, then he should just leave it alone, and go on to something else.

He seems to play pretty fast and loose with user/team/project relationships.
    Last edited by Angus; 01-11-2010 at 10:52 AM.

Well I have a different opinion and it seems that we do not come together. So let the users decide. The users who do not like yoyo@home will probably not join.

bye

Blog Entries

YoYo Angus does have some merit You act at a single member But with the support hundreds members pushing you, How can any of us even think of competing against you.
    To tell the truth You are the one reason I gave up my 1st place seat on MUON and stooped working it
    You might help some DC project But you are in my opinion vary Bad for the spirit of competition
    And competition is the driving force Behind DC-ing

All statements above are my own opinions and my or may not be that of Free-DC

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    YoYo Angus does have some merit You act at a single member But with the support hundreds members pushing you, How can any of us even think of competing against you.
    To tell the truth You are the one reason I gave up my 1st place seat on MUON and stooped working it
    You might help some DC project But you are in my opinion vary Bad for the spirit of competition
    And competition is the driving force Behind DC-ing

All statements above are my own opinions and my or may not be that of Free-DC
    I disagree that the points go to yoyo (as in the user). Within BOINC, each user/team gets his own credits. Within the external projects, yoyo is just a name whip represents the whole BOINC community. It does not represent yoyo personally.

And frankly, I think what yoyo is doing is GREAT for non-BOINC DC projects. They get a lot of CPU power that they otherwise would not get. And I would be willing to put money on it, that all the non-BOINC project admins that have signed up with yoyo are very HAPPY with the results.

Does it mess with the non-BOINC stats a bit? Sure, because it looks like a single user has massive stats. But so long as people recognize what's going on, and treat the "yoyo" user as a team, no big deal.

I disagree that the points go to yoyo (as in the user). Within BOINC, each user/team gets his own credits. Within the external projects, yoyo is just a name whip represents the whole BOINC community. It does not represent yoyo personally.
    But in the project's stats, it *is* yoyo who is getting credit, not the user who moved from the standalone to Boinc-wrapped client, expecting to get their deserved points, particularly if they use the same ID or email account in both systems. The teams also lose out, seeing their standings in the project sink as points are incorrectly awarded to some team called "yoyo", instead of their own team.

And frankly, I think what yoyo is doing is GREAT for non-BOINC DC projects. They get a lot of CPU power that they otherwise would not get. And I would be willing to put money on it, that all the non-BOINC project admins that have signed up with yoyo are very HAPPY with the results.

Does it mess with the non-BOINC stats a bit? Sure, because it looks like a single user has massive stats. But so long as people recognize what's going on, and treat the "yoyo" user as a team, no big deal.
    This is where you are wrong. It IS a big deal. Yoyo is STEALING those points that should be awarded to the user and team that did the work, in the PROJECT stats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post

YOU ARE TOTALLY WRONG HERE yoyo IS LISTED AS ONE USER

You can see how strongly I feel about this with all the caps

Think about it How can I even think about achieving tho top ten when I have to compete against 100-1000 members backing YOYO
    It is dam hard enough to fight the upstream battle against all the corporate IT member that use there Poisson to get points like NEZ did
    You are a fool if you think I am the only only that feel this resentment to Yoyo, I may be one of the few that have the Ba%% to express it

Like I said Yoyo is BAD for the spirit of completion

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Posts moved to a separate thread.

Keep it nice.