Thread: Dyyryath

Blog Entries

Dyyryath

Hey Dyy,

Just wanted to say thank you so much for doing all of the stats updating that has been occuring lately (and for doing the stats at all). I really appreciate it that you have taken the time to produce something that is so fantastic, and on top of that, do it on your own free time which I know is limited. You've made it possible for me (us) to view the stats virtually any way we want to. I know that took alot of time and effort on your part.

Any way, I just wanted to say thanks. Your work is much appreciated.

Moogs...the mini cruncher

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Agreed, thank you very much!

Thanks, guys!

When I first got interested in distributed computing over at Ars Technica, one of the things that kept me from getting bored with it were zAmboni's great SETI stats for TLC.

It only seems fair that I try to contribute something back to the DC community since I'm in a position to do so. Of course, hearing that people find them useful and enjoy them makes it all worthwhile.

I love the stats Dyy
    Train hard, fight easy

Blog Entries
    Well, you've certainly done a fantastic job! Good stuff! Le me know if there is anytghing I can do to help with the forums or anywhere else.

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It Tax Bracket's Avatar
    Dyyryath

Dyyryath

Excellent work!
    Engage!

Thumbs up

and i second (or third, or whatever) the motion

just out of curiosity, is all this written in perl, or what?

Yup. Perl with a MySQL backend.

The data spider is a single Perl script that grabs the data from the project site on an hourly basis, reads it, does the necessary calculations, and enters the data into the database. A complete run with all it's database queries & inserts, and all the calculations for every user and team in the project takes about 4 1/2 minutes on the current server.

The database is composed of about 10 tables holding various types of information. Altogether, the database currently contains about 4 million rows of data. It grows by about 140,000 rows per day.

The stats, tables, and graphs are all rendered on demand by Perl CGI scripts from the database data. There are currently about 20 or so different scripts used to render what's available so far. These scripts use some fancy routines & caching to speed up rendering.

The biggest hassle so far has been to keep things open-ended enough that I can use the system for more than one project in the future. It's also been written with OS portability in mind. It will run on just about anything that supports MySQL & Perl (i.e. Linux, Windows, Solaris, etc).

I've considered releasing a 'Lite' version with an installer allowing other groups to host their own stats, but I'm still kind of undecided on the issue.

Good Work!!

Maybe I should come back to DF.....

Gosh, maybe you should talk to those guys over at SoB, who think that half a million rows of stats data will kill their server.

Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It Tax Bracket's Avatar
    Angus stay where you are! We need you on SoB...

Once again Heres to Dyyryath!

The Stats Massa!

Alpha_7

I totally agree with all of you that the Dyyryath stats rule (and he's even kind enough to do it for other teams )

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    Your stats simply rock!

Thanks a lot - I bet you get quite a lot of hits daily, which only shows how much people loves your stats

UPDATE: As you most likely am aware of, I appreciate the fact that your make sure the pages validate
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

Thanks, guys. I'm continuing to add features & refine the look itself every chance I get. I've still got a list of things a mile long that need to be added.

You can always find out what's been changed & often what's coming up by checking out the system's home page right here.

Pointy: I know validation is important to you so I figured I'd go ahead and take care of that so you didn't start nagging me again.

Right now, the stats site (which doesn't include anything from my home site or the Free-DC site) is averaging about 18,000 hits per day. That translates into about 12,000 page views per day. It's been slowly climbing about 1,000 or so page views every couple of days over the last week or two, so it seems to be satisfying people...

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    Would you consider putting that long list of things online so we can see? Also, would you like any help getting those long list items shortened? I'd love to help if I could...

Originally posted by Dyyryath
    Thanks, guys. I'm continuing to add features & refine the look itself every chance I get. I've still got a list of things a mile long that need to be added.

You can always find out what's been changed & often what's coming up by checking out the system's home page right here.

Pointy: I know validation is important to you so I figured I'd go ahead and take care of that so you didn't start nagging me again.

Right now, the stats site (which doesn't include anything from my home site or the Free-DC site) is averaging about 18,000 hits per day. That translates into about 12,000 page views per day. It's been slowly climbing about 1,000 or so page views every couple of days over the last week or two, so it seems to be satisfying people...

Well, the long list probably contains some things that won't turn out to be workable, so I'm a little hesitant to post it. I don't want to be promising things that may turn out to be unfeasible. The short list of 'approved' things, however, includes:
    • Future rankings for all teams & users when you hover over that team's or user's current rank. This will display estimated future rank over 7, 14, 30, and 60 days.
    • Percentage of work data whenever you hover over any value in a team or user list table. For example, if you hovered over my 'Last Update Structs' value in the Free-DC user list, you'd see what percentage of both Free-DC's last update and the total project's last update mine was.
    • User activity graphs when you click on either of the user count fields for any team in the 'All Teams' page. This will probably include some new pie charts which should look pretty swanky.
    • Update the 'Multi-User' custom graphs to use the new graph style.
    • Add a new 'Multi-Team' custom graph page using the new graph style.
    • Migrate the 'All User's Movement' page & the 'Multi-Team' and 'Multi-User' custom graphing pages to the new page layout.
    • Very lite bar striping on the user & team stats tables.
    • Add movement column to the 'All Teams' page.
    • New 'Total Project' detailed stats page
    • Begin beta testing of the new 'Virtual Teams' tools.

As for help, right now it's easier to keep a single person (and thus, a single vision & programming style) working at it. However, I am nearly to the point where I'm going try adding support for other projects to the system. When I'm ready to try that, if you're interested, you can help me port it to whatever project I decide to add first.

I'm also tinkering with the idea of releasing a 'Lite' version of the engine to the public to use on their own sites & servers. I haven't quite decided on this one yet....

Originally posted by Dyyryath

Actually, I have stopped doing that a long time ago I know only complain about the sites that doesn't work in my browser (Phoenix) - and I don't bump into those very often.

EDIT: Oh, and that list looks really cool
    Pointwood

Don't know if this is the right thread to post it, but I just noticed a few *very small* visual bugs in your stats

My browser is Phoenix 0.5 (ie. Mozilla).

On the "All Teams Page":

If you click on "Rank" (to use the sort mechanism), the square brackets around "Rank" makes it become 2 lines. I believe it is because it doesn't have any width set. Besides, as I said, this is tiny issues

Furthermore, "Active Users" and "Total Users" don't get any square brackets added.
    Pointwood

Good catch, Pointy!

This has been fixed.

Just when I think they can't get better, they do.

Thumbs up Dyyryath.